The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Torque vs horsepower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWDforthewin

Proven Member
Feb 28, 2014
Springfield, Oregon
Okay guys I have a 95 gsx that I wish to daily drive currently finishing getting my parts as follows

Hx35 dsm housing
Ported FP race manifold
STM o2 housing atmo dump tube
Tial 38mm WG on O2 housing
ECM link v3
Walbro 255
FIC injectors? Idk what size
Regulator for fuel
Maybe cams?
Full 3" exhaust cattless

Now this would be on a stock rebuilt motor

I don't want the hx35 to be super laggy so want to run about 20-25 psi and make around 400 hp maybe a little more since it's only on a stock motor... I heard this is possible as long as I keep my torque numbers a little lower?

Opinions?
Also what size of injectors would you recommend?
What good would a fuel pimp rewire do?
And if I left anything out of my list feel free to recommend I may have forgot things I'm tired LOL sorry for all the questions !

Codym, my apologies, I got this thread confused with the "don't know what to spend my money on " thread. That was my bad.... foot in mouth.

It's all good man no need to sweat it :coy:

Yes. This is DSMTuners after all. People will argue about what shade of red the banner is if you let them. :p

ROFL there's just a lot of pride battles. It seems some people get a twig between the buns when they're proven wrong or when they don't hear what they expected.
What brings this community together is the ones who admit their faults , take constructive criticism from others and apply what they learned.

That's why I think Breezio is a cool guy, he didn't try to have wang wars with me ;)

Anyways , this thread has gotten so off-topic , I don't even remember who the OP is OMG

Anyways , this thread has gotten so off-topic , I don't even remember who the OP is OMG

If its that bad please refer back to post #1 its a good mind refresher. we are here to help OP achieve his Horsepower goals:|

ROFL there's just a lot of pride battles. It seems some people get a twig between the buns when they're proven wrong or when they don't hear what they expected.

What the #### is this supposed to mean? Are you kidding me? Pride battles? What PLANET are you on?

Whip it out and lets measure. I bet mines bigger. Now let's fight for three pages to prove who is the better man. :p

Oh, and your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. /Monthy Python

The hubris in here has gotten thick enough to swim through. Noticing a pattern? So how about we get back to topic.. guy has a 7-bolt, possibly a 94/95 BY with all that entails. Seems wary of building the short block at the moment. He has a street car and wants response, E85 is available. Keeping it simple and affordable: Evo 3 or S16G (enjoyed my 14B and S16G setups), adjustable gears on stock cams, stock manifolds, V3 SD w/ Flex Fuel, FMIC and metal charge pipes, dumped O2 housing and a 3" turbo back exhaust. You'll have a tough time beating that on spool and response. The ~38lb/min will shine on E85 and still haul on pump gas when that's not an option. I doubt you'll even care if you wind up at 375whp vs 425whp as you'll probably be making damn near 400wtq when you let her eat, depending on how you choose to control boost and where your cam timing ends up

Okay guys were getting off topic...

This is what I do have already:
Vrsf fmic, ported FP race manifold, hx35 bep housing, 3" exhaust w/ cutout, boost/wideband guages, boost controller.

What I was going to get:
1250cc injectors, Walbro 255 w/ rewire kit, fuel regulator, link v3, and tial 38mm WG with dump tube.

Possibly cams depends on the cash left over...

Anyhow with that being said will those parts allow to SAFELY reach my goals of around 400hp give or take doesn't matter a whole lot just close.

Is e85 really going to make a big difference? If so what are the advantages and do I need anything different fuel related besides the gas itself?

And is there anything I'm missing from my lists I may have forgotten? Once again can I SAFELY reach my goal with a rebuilt stock 7 bolt motor in my 95 gsx?

Yes. That list should safely get you to 400hp. These are almost my exact plans as well, except with a 54mm H1c and the bep dsm housing

E85 will just give you more knock resistance to run higher boost and more timing. If it is available to you I'd take advantage of it. The only station in salt lake that had it stopped carring e85 a couple years ago. The only way I can get it is through a shop who gets it by the drum out of state.... crappy, so my 350-400hp goal has to be on 91.

As long as your tune is dialed, then on a spot on stock rebuilt bottom end could handle even more than your goal, at that point id be worried more about the trans. Knock and detonation is what kills motors.

There's nothing safe about 400hp in these cars. Yes, it's easily done, but it's just as easy to break if everything isn't in line 100% of the time....but that being said, I was north of 400 for many years on my stock 7bolt.

You need cams to make that power without really pushing your set up. I'd recommend the kelfords.

And yes, e85 is a big deal. You should have all you need to run it. While 425hp is approaching the limits of a single 255 and e85, theres enough room for me to confidently say it'll be fine.

Yes. That list should safely get you to 400hp. These are almost my exact plans as well, except with a 54mm H1c and the bep dsm housing E85 will just give you more knock resistance to run higher boost and more timing. If it is available to you I'd take advantage of it. The only station in salt lake that had it stopped carring e85 a couple years ago. The only way I can get it is through a shop who gets it by the drum out of state.... crappy, so my 350-400hp goal has to be on 91. As long as your tune is dialed, then on a spot on stock rebuilt bottom end could handle even more than your goal, at that point id be worried more about the trans. Knock and detonation is what kills motors.

Only place e85 is available here is I love in a heavily populated desert / dune racing area do you buy it at an industrial warehouse with above ground tanks LOL.

Also tuning will be done very well! Have a buddy that's been tuning link since it came out!

Only place e85 is available here is I love in a heavily populated desert / dune racing area do you buy it at an industrial warehouse with above ground tanks LOL. Also tuning will be done very well! Have a buddy that's been tuning link since it came out!

So injectors are all the same and stuff yeah? And will 1250cc FIC injectors and a Wally 255 be good for 425hp on e85 if not I would rather step up a size or two now rather than re but later!

Honestly, its been said a thousand times on here.... if you have the goal of xxx, plan for yyy. Will 400 be enough? That's what you have to ask. At that point you are at a crossroads to a larger pump, or dual, and larger injectors. You can get there with your plan, maybe even exceed your own expected numbers. Go read the "dyno challenge" thread and go to around page 8, see what others mods are, that's the 390-400+ area of that thread... quite a few stock blocks, not many with more than a single 255 and 1000+cc injectors, some on pump, some on e85.

If the block is built well and the tune is up to par, you can push 500 without a sweat.

If things are going to be done as meticulous as you say, as far as tune and the build, just go for it man. Testimonials are on here all day of people breaking that mark. Some do it with 150k on a motor and see 10k miles out of it, some rebuild a motor and never have a problem.

Okay guys were getting off topic...

This is what I do have already:
Vrsf fmic, ported FP race manifold, hx35 bep housing, 3" exhaust w/ cutout, boost/wideband guages, boost controller.

What I was going to get:
1250cc injectors, Walbro 255 w/ rewire kit, fuel regulator, link v3, and tial 38mm WG with dump tube.

Possibly cams depends on the cash left over...

Anyhow with that being said will those parts allow to SAFELY reach my goals of around 400hp give or take doesn't matter a whole lot just close.

Is e85 really going to make a big difference? If so what are the advantages and do I need anything different fuel related besides the gas itself?

And is there anything I'm missing from my lists I may have forgotten? Once again can I SAFELY reach my goal with a rebuilt stock 7 bolt motor in my 95 gsx?

You cant vent to the atmosphere without Speed Density.

Yes. That list should safely get you to 400hp. These are almost my exact plans as well, except with a 54mm H1c and the bep dsm housing

E85 will just give you more knock resistance to run higher boost and more timing. If it is available to you I'd take advantage of it. The only station in salt lake that had it stopped carring e85 a couple years ago. The only way I can get it is through a shop who gets it by the drum out of state.... crappy, so my 350-400hp goal has to be on 91.

As long as your tune is dialed, then on a spot on stock rebuilt bottom end could handle even more than your goal, at that point id be worried more about the trans. Knock and detonation is what kills motors.

There's nothing safe about 400hp in these cars. Yes, it's easily done, but it's just as easy to break if everything isn't in line 100% of the time....but that being said, I was north of 400 for many years on my stock 7bolt.

You need cams to make that power without really pushing your set up. I'd recommend the kelfords.

And yes, e85 is a big deal. You should have all you need to run it. While 425hp is approaching the limits of a single 255 and e85, theres enough room for me to confidently say it'll be fine.

Agreed, both of these posts expressed basically my exact sentiments.

OP - Adjustable gears and/or "larger" cams would let you shift your power band higher, allowing you to make more power with less torque. This provides a bigger margin for safety and the decreased heat/cylinder pressure

Covered in post #33
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/477124-torque-vs-horsepower.html#post153412884

Only place e85 is available here is I love in a heavily populated desert / dune racing area do you buy it at an industrial warehouse with above ground tanks LOL.

Also tuning will be done very well! Have a buddy that's been tuning link since it came out!

So injectors are all the same and stuff yeah? And will 1250cc FIC injectors and a Wally 255 be good for 425hp on e85 if not I would rather step up a size or two now rather than re but later!

Honestly, its been said a thousand times on here.... if you have the goal of xxx, plan for yyy. Will 400 be enough? That's what you have to ask. At that point you are at a crossroads to a larger pump, or dual, and larger injectors. You can get there with your plan, maybe even exceed your own expected numbers. Go read the "dyno challenge" thread and go to around page 8, see what others mods are, that's the 390-400+ area of that thread... quite a few stock blocks, not many with more than a single 255 and 1000+cc injectors, some on pump, some on e85.

If the block is built well and the tune is up to par, you can push 500 without a sweat.

If things are going to be done as meticulous as you say, as far as tune and the build, just go for it man. Testimonials are on here all day of people breaking that mark. Some do it with 150k on a motor and see 10k miles out of it, some rebuild a motor and never have a problem.

Pump re-wire and some of the simple fuel system de-restriction mods will give you more headroom on any pump/injector combo.

But as he and others will point out, incremental upgrades add up. Try to future-proof the fuel system for a combination worst case airflow on the biggest turbo you intend to run, while excessively rich, with high total (base + boost) pressure and low pump voltage.

You cant vent to the atmosphere without Speed Density.

We should probably note that if you are not running SD, you will need a blow through MAS/MAF to avoid venting metered airflow.

Agreed, both of these posts expressed basically my exact sentiments. OP - Adjustable gears and/or "larger" cams would let you shift your power band higher, allowing you to make more power with less torque. This provides a bigger margin for safety and the decreased heat/cylinder pressure Covered in post #33 http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/477124-torque-vs-horsepower.html#post153412884 Pump re-wire and some of the simple fuel system de-restriction mods will give you more headroom on any pump/injector combo. But as he and others will point out, incremental upgrades add up. Try to future-proof the fuel system for a combination worst case airflow on the biggest turbo you intend to run, while excessively rich, with high total (base + boost) pressure and low pump voltage. We should probably note that if you are not running SD, you will need a blow through MAS/MAF to avoid venting metered airflow.

I will be running speed density

You will not be pushing the 255 pump with 400hp and ethanol. I did it for a long time and tons of other have too. As long as you don't need boost in the mid 30's to hit 400 and somthing horsepowe. The 255 will support like 520 or more on e85 as long as your fuel pressure isn't running above 75psi give or take. People are modding them now to hold more pressure, but I imagine that shortens the life of the pump.

You will not be pushing the 255 pump with 400hp and ethanol. I did it for a long time and tons of other have too. As long as you don't need boost in the mid 30's to hit 400 and somthing horsepowe. The 255 will support like 520 or more on e85 as long as your fuel pressure isn't running above 75psi give or take. People are modding them now to hold more pressure, but I imagine that shortens the life of the pump.

Cool thanks for the info also just curious I will run the 255 with 1250cc injectors and a regulator to control the pump but do I need to change the fuel hose size or anything else fuel wise or will stock be sufficient?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back