The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Took out my power steering.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoasT BeeF

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 7, 2002
Loveland, Colorado
Here is a pic of everything I took out. I am a little worried about what its going to be like. This is a daily driver. Oh well I guess if its that bad I will just put it all back in. :D

Attachments

• ps1.JPG
    ps1.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 1,053
not tryin to be rude but why did u take it all out?? weight reduction?? wanna gro some muscles?? LOL. j/p

How much does all that weigh?

You're not gonna like it LOL. I made the mistake of letting my friend see my trying to pull it in a parking space. It's now refered to as "red october"... because it's red and the other is obvious. Good luck.

juddsgsx said:
You're not gonna like it LOL. I made the mistake of letting my friend see my trying to pull it in a parking space. It's now refered to as "red october"... because it's red and the other is obvious. Good luck.

LOL! :laugh:
Well, see how it is first before you do anything and try do drive it around for a while. I have no p/s on my miata and I'm used to it but it does weigh only like 2300lbs.

It really doesnt weigh that much at all. I didnt do it for weight. I just hate having to work around it all the time and I hate the way it looks and is always leaking. The engine just looks so much cleaner without all that crap. Lets hope it works. For now the PS rack is still in, all I did was loop the lines back together right at the rack. If I like and can live with no PS I will throw a manual rack in.

I took the p/s out of my prelude back in the day. but it was cause I couldn't afford to replace the power steering at the time. i got used to it fairly quickly. You only notice the difference when parking etc... you'll get used to it, but the valet drivers will hate it.

I've had the p/s off my 91 AWD for all season, drove it on the streets every weekend and had no problems. Yes it was a bit harder to turn, but stop crying so much. If you can change a tranny by yourself you shouldn't have any problem turning a unhooked p/s rack.

Could be the fact I am 2 months away from being 52 but I like my PS and would go to any lenghts to keep it, AC too! I have an 1850lb. Festiva that is enough excercise for my forearms. The slower you drive the more difficult it becomes, that's why the Festiva sees 65mph regularly.
If we all had our cars alike there would not be much interest in the forums. I tip my hat to you for doing something that is different. Best of luck. Mark

I've driven cars with the pump removed and cars with manual racks. The manual rack is a much slower ratio so it's alot easier to drive in tight turns. The power rack also has a piston inside it that moves the fluid, you could pull this out and it's a bit easier to turn, but for all the work to drop the rack and do it you could just get a manual rack! On a lightened AWD or a FWD car, it's not too bad but I don't think I'd want it on a full weight, daily driven AWD.

We just recenty removed my p/s for weight reduction and to free up room under the hood. I haven't took the car out on the road because of the weather but just the drive from the barn to the garage I can tell it won't be bad at all. In fact I kinda like the direct feeling.
I also got arms like Popeye so it don't fade me at all. :D

He means arms like Popeyes' pinky, LOL. :p

I too removed my PS last winter and drove last season w/ a manual rack and a spooled center diff. Between the two, it's tough to park in a tight spot and simultainiuosly maintain my undenialby cool image :cool: ... Anyways, It should be even worse this year w/ a 4-puck clutch.

I thought for sure I had the weight of the whole deal written down somewhere around here but now I can't seem to find it. I think it was right around 20 lbs. though. Which IMO is substantial enough to justify doing this change. However, if anyone else is considering doing this mod I would recommend just taking the belt off and trying it out for a few days to see how you like it before you go and tear it all apart. If you don't mind then maybe someday you can pick up a manual rack to make your life even easier. The manual rack is 4 turns vs. the Power's 2.5 which gives a bit more leverage and saves a little more weight. I picked up a rack off www.car-parts.com for like $30 and it works great. Most of them are listed for like $50+ though.

Andy

Mike1992 said:
So when installing a manual rack do you have to swap out axles or any other parts associated with it?
no. but the passenger side insulator is different so you need to swap that. other than that its the same. i might add this was a pain in the ass and i had it on a rack. if you can live with the power rack looped do it.

peregrine said:
no. but the passenger side insulator is different so you need to swap that. other than that its the same. i might add this was a pain in the ass and i had it on a rack. if you can live with the power rack looped do it.
Where is this insulator? Is is on the spindle or is it part of the rack's mount to the subframe? I'm going to swap out my rack for a manual this spring. I prefer to have a cleaner engine bay.

My buddy took out his P/S on his 3rd gen RX-7 and we looped the lines. On 11" wide tires it's not all that bad to steer. I can't see a DSM being to different with tires half that size and 500 more lbs.

haha! have fun. this aint no 1,000lbs. honda. its goning to be a bi*** to drive, i know because i was going to santa barara and my power stearing belt broke off. but if you like that inconvinence then go for it. ;)

I don't think they have manual racks for 2Gs, but I don't see the point in removing it, I don't think the plumbing is that devious or bothersome...

arash15 said:
haha! have fun. this aint no 1,000lbs. honda. its goning to be a bi*** to drive, i know because i was going to santa barara and my power stearing belt broke off. but if you like that inconvinence then go for it. ;)

It's not like a broken belt. When the belt breaks, you're working against the fluid pressure to turn the car. With the pump out, the rack is empty and it works like a manual rack, with the exception of the faster ratio which makes it feel harder.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back