The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Reducing/deleting Power steering cooler? [Merged 7-8] cooling coil loop

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raceguy

Probationary Member
Aug 4, 2002
Vermont
What's the best way to replace the power steering cooler? I've heard of people eliminating it altogether, but if I wanted to save it, then where would I get one? Is there a way I could make one?

Thanx in advance

I have a DejonTool fmic and it says it either needs to be relocated or removed. What are the disadvantages of removing it, and how do I go about removing it? Do I just buy a new hose that is one piece? Thanks

In the above post I was talking about the power steering cooler whe I referred to it.

My only guess is, when turning a lot, or turning while stopped, or when the car is at operational temperature, the power steering function doesn't work as efficiently as it's supposed to.

:confused:

Ford used to make a really tidy little one that was a loop about 10" and fairly heavily finned. I don't know what kind of fittings it had on it, or what kind of pressures a PS cooler runs, but it'd mount just about anywhere if you really needed one.

I am installing a ADFX FMIC right now and need to move/relocate or upgrade the stock ps cooler. I was thinking I could cut a lot of the bends out of the stock ps cooler, mount it back behind the brace near the stock location and use hoses to connect it back up or I can get a new ps cooler. I like the ebay one I've seen, but I don't have time to order something off of ebay and wait for it to ship and all that (do auto parts places have these??). So my decision is to do either one is based on time. What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.

Jester

UVAjester,

I had the exact same problem when Installing my ADFX fmic. What to do with that damned curved PS tube. I said the hell with it and completely removed all the hoses up to the PS reservoir. I then ordered from Summit Racing a B&M hotrod tranny/oil cooler polished aluminum (3"x11"). Got some high pressure fuel hose 3/8 I.D., hose clamps,
and some hose barbs. Also fashioned up some aluminum brackets and mounted the
cooler vertically right in the unused air duct inlet on the drivers side bumper. I think I spent maybe $80 total and shipping was 2 days from Summit. Mostly a convenience mod but I heard some F-body guys boiling their Power steering fluid during autocrossing so its functional too. I say wait and order up the parts and do it right. Good luck.

Gene

I just ordered a Perma-Cool unit from summit racing... it is a little smaller.. something like 5.5"x7.5", but thats bigger than some of the things I"ve seen other dsm's running as power steering coolers... plus its got to work better than the stock bar design... It'll be here by Friday, hopefully... Thanks for talking me out of the ghetto sh*t I was going to rig up...

Jester

I have to take my power steering cooler out to install my front mount. How do I do it? I was thinkin just disconect it and let the fluid drain and then loop the connection and put more fluid in

I did one like the aftermarket cooler, but I used an oil cooler from a 81 Saab 900S that I got from a junk yard for $10 Canadian.

Works well, piping is not infront of my rad, fmic fits better, and that cooler actually cools the damn oil ;)

It fits onto a little piece of the frame, kinda like where the SMIC is but on the drivers side and a bit farther frontward.

I'm fabbing up my own FMIC system...

The power steering cooler hardline is going to be in the way of my driver's side U-pipe... I've heard of some guys removing the hardline altogether and looping it back into itself under the hood. In other words, disconnect the rubber hoses that go to the hardline, discard the hardline, and one of the rubber hoses, and connect the remaining hose back where the other hose was.

Is this OK to do? Is the power steering cooler hardline really necessary? Thanks everyone for your help.

I want to do this right and not f* up my car :thumb:

A couple of the things you can do:

1) get a little tube bender and just bend the cooler tubing to go back behind the support bar so you can keep it if you want.

OR

2) Lose the tubing and reroute the tubing into itself like you said.

I did option 2 a few months back when I did my install and I've had no problems. That's including a drive from Cali. to Virginia.

i've seen a few people remove it without any problems.....but if you dont want, you could relocate it behind the radiator support.

id just reroute it into itself. honestly, does power steering fluid even need to be cooled down? i dont see that kind of setup on any other car.

i just left mine and bend the tubing so it sat more flush with the radiator.

Here's what I did:
Since I removed the entire stock piece and didn't feel like shoving it in any space that would accomodate it, I made my own.
Original was just bent piping, so I got some brake line tubing and a bender of about the same diameter as stock at the local advanced auto.
Made a U shaped piece that sets on the rad, between the FMIC and rad, with both ends bending back to the Power steering pump.
I flanged both ends, not much at all or the tubing wont go over the piping.
Slipped the hoses over the ends, hoseclampped them and tightened them down.
I've had no problems, few leaks at first but tightening the hose clamps more fixed that. I don't know though, I probably could've blocked it off and not had one but, why would the factory put something there if it doesn't do anything. Obviously it does "something" if they're going to spend the money on putting it on every car.
Good Luck :thumb:

You can unbolt the support arm and put it on the inside if you want it. Or just loop the rubber hose, I have it done on my car and a friend did it on his with no problems driving this year.

Hellos,

I was thinking of getting new upper and lower dejon intercooler pipes for my 2g stock side mount, but I was wondering if they would be compatible with a FMIC at a later date. If so, which FMIC?

I figured that this was not an option, so I am looking into getting a FMIC kit, but I want something that will require the least amount of modification. So, the closest that I have found is this 7 inch from... here. The comments for this intercooler kit say that you will have to remove the power steering cooler and re-route back into itself. I don't understand what they mean. Am I going to be relocating my power steering cooler or totally removing it? Can someone who has done this please explain to me?

If possible, I want a reasonably priced kit that requires no modding of any kind. Any suggestions?

FYI, I haven't been able to edit my profile lately and I am not sure what it has listed, so I have a 97 gsx all stock ATM if you were wondering

REmove the power steering cooler and loop the lines! simple as done. The power steering cooler is a jk in our cars!

You can get the greddy upper and lower intercooler pipes and then buy their FMIC kit later. It will probably end up being more than the 7" FMIC kit from extremeintercoolers.com.

See attached pic.
The blue is the power steering cooler. The red circle is where you need to loop it, the yellow is what you need to loop. One person on here got a small oil cooler from ebay and used it as a powersteering cooler (I think it is in the tech guides).

Attachments

• Copy of 100_0549.JPG
    Copy of 100_0549.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 1,647
This is how I re-routed my PS line. I got rid of my loop, but some people on here have kept theirs by putting it behind the vertical brace that it's bolted to. Most FMIC's won't extend behind the brace, so the cooler will be okay there, but the conflict may come in with the lines getting in the way of the pipe. I took my cooling loop out and haven't had a problem with it. Later I may use a small oil cooler for it, but for right now, it's all good.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As for pipes and IC kits, I have the dejon upper intercooler pipes for the stock sidemount. I just put on a FMIC and have to make pipes to go from the IC to this location to mate with them. I also have to make a U pipe to get to the FMIC inlet from my turbo's J-pipe and L-pipe combo. Here's my write-up on my project.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201501

There might be some info there to help you out. One of the posts got messed up somehow, so I have to redo it and re-link the pics. As for IC kits with pipes, I'd say if you can afford it, go for it. It might make your life easier. But making pipes shouldn't be that hard if you have a shop near you. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back