The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Toasted Auto Tranny....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointblank9957

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 12, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Well, my car (2g Spyder GS w/ Turbo Auto) started having tranny issues the other day.. when in reverse, it would act like it was shifting in and out of reverse and neutral very quick and when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it would make a weird chirp. It got worse, started whining in the lower rpms, ATF level was good but the fluid was very dark, almost black. Now it won't move at all, no matter where the gear selector is.. I took out the end clutches to check them and they had some hot spots and the steels were warped. I haven't gotten round to taking out the front clutches, or take the tranny out for that matter. Could the front and end clutches be the issues? I'm replacing both, ends with IPT and front with Kiggly, but is there anything else i should worry about? This tranny is an F4A23 with 173,000 miles on it trying to hold over 300 horsepower and 312lb ft tq from a 2.4L 4g64.

That's a strange combination of issues. Somethings point to a bad TCU, and others like a mechanical issue. Maybe try finding a different TCU and putting some fresh fluid in and see if it works better (would be easier than doing a tranny pull). But dont take my word for it---wait for some more replies and see what they have to say.

That's a strange combination of issues. Somethings point to a bad TCU, and others like a mechanical issue. Maybe try finding a different TCU and putting some fresh fluid in and see if it works better (would be easier than doing a tranny pull). But dont take my word for it---wait for some more replies and see what they have to say.

found the problem. the front clutches had ZERO material left and were warped and the band was no better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back