The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Titanium Internal Wastegate Flapper

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
What I ultimately need to know:
The ID, OD, and thickness of the OEM wastegate flapper "washer", as well as the length of the rivet/fastener holding it to the arm.

WHY?
I want to know what size bolt, nut, and washer to order- all of which will be Titanium, in order to withstand the extreme heat that comes with the occasional use of anti-lag.

Why can't I do the measuring?
Mainly because I need my car for driving, and I need to order the hardware ahead of time, and I don't have a spare hot side to funk around with.

Additionally, I don't want to weld it on, I want to use a jam nut and bolt. I am set on that.

Backstory:

So its been about 10k since I finished my overhaul, and about 500mi ago I began experiencing major lag. BLT and leakdown revealed no external leaks, which now has me thinking that the Ace Hardware mod I did to my wastegate flapper (replaced the flapper washer itself and secured it with a bolt, nut, and lock washer- don't ask me why I did it, I don't really remember why) deformed, and ultimately shattered from the extreme heat (love me my anti-lag :rocks:) Why do I suspect that? Becuase the last time I used anti-lag, it sounded fine then the bangs suddenly became WAY louder- louder than it had been before, and I probably used a thin, Grade 8 SAE washer and bolts, which most definately would succumb to the extreme heat.

FYI, HOME DEPOT/ACE/ETC Grade 8 SAE bolts STRETCH LIKE CARAMEL WHEN HEAT CYCLED. BOOOOOOOO :notgood:

Thanks guys.

:hellyeah:

Why not replace the entire flapper with a new stainless one? The 34mm ones I use are the same as the factory flappers- you slide the washer over, heat the top of the stud, and smash it with a hammer and punch to expand it so the washer can't fall off.

Titanium is not actually that heat resistant, and becomes quite brittle when heat cycled. There's a reason they don't make titanium exhaust manifolds.

You'd be better of finding a peice of inconel that would work.

I still need the dimensions of the hardware though, if not for me then for someone else who will inevitably end up in the same boat as I am (DSM or other turbo fitted car that is internally gated).

Also, I was looking at those 34mm flappers, and I might go that route if I can't find Inconel 600 hardware in the sizes I need that are readily available for purchase.

The main reasons I originally thought I would use titanium is because:

A) Not an expert in metallurgy
B) It's Titanium! :p
C) Allied Titanium - Affordable Titanium Now has a ton of sizes of Ti hardware with no min orders.

Why not replace the entire flapper with a new stainless one? The 34mm ones I use are the same as the factory flappers- you slide the washer over, heat the top of the stud, and smash it with a hammer and punch to expand it so the washer can't fall off.

Don't see these much any more. Wheres a good place to get them???

Don't see these much any more. Wheres a good place to get them???
No idea- I bought a pile of them from a former Slowboy employee a while ago. Down to my last 20 or so. At the time, he literally had a box full. LOL

Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP 34mm Wastegate Flapper

Depending on the size of the flapper and other needed hardware, the cost is probably the same...but for reference sake I think it would be a good idea to have the dimensions of the flapper itself.

Thanks I don't think I fully searched their site.

No idea- I bought a pile of them from a former Slowboy employee a while ago. Down to my last 20 or so. At the time, he literally had a box full. LOL

Ya I remember when SBR use to sell them like crazy. Then every other vender picked up on that. Now not to many vendors sell them. You got a good price on them??

Ya I remember when SBR use to sell them like crazy. Then every other vender picked up on that. Now not to many vendors sell them. You got a good price on them??
I paid a good price, yes....not really looking to part with any of them as they're for my own consumption. ;)

I paid a good price, yes....not really looking to part with any of them as they're for my own consumption. ;)

Had to ask. Ill have to measure the one I have any ways.

I don't even think they make a flapper in any other metal beside stock and stainless. Do they??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back