The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Ticking/knocking noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DsMWookie

15+ Year Contributor
May 3, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Ok I just put a twisted tuning clutch in my car. 4puck unsprung and George's pressure plate. The only reason i went with such a radical change in clutch is my old 3000lb pressure plate was giving me issues with not wanting to idle and just to damn heavy! This clutch offered good grab and almost stock pedal pressure.

I turn the car on everything seems good we go down the road and the clutch was slipping. I adjusted the pedal assembly and we take her back out. The clutch holds fine now but we noticed a ticking/knocking noise comming from the engine. I can't get it to do it at idle but if i raise it up to around 2-3K i can hear it but it comes and goes as it pleases. We tried racing it up good next to a wall and see if we can hear it and it does it off and on. We had the pan off a cpl weeks ago and it looked to be peach! If not a rod bearing what else could it be?

The noise is rather loud not typical lifter tick. Not saying its not a bad lifter but it sounds pretty nasty like something caught in the valve train.

are you sure that they arent rod bearings?? they are fricking loud... a way to possibly pinpoint it would be get the car up on a hoist and get a large flat head screwdriver. have a buddy start the car and listen to the oil pan throught the screwdriver. also revving the car helps locate the problem. if it ticks while rpms go up but the tick diminishes as soon as you let off the throttle then i'd still say rod bearings. i could be wrong though. thats what i did when i test drove a '93 TSi AWD and 3 of the 4 bearings were shot to $hit

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back