The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Throttle body/ Throttle cable Sticking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoner

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2003
North Vernon, Indiana
I have a 95 talon awd turbo and it has around 86k on the odometer. I have had it for about 8 months and put no more than a 1,000 mi. on it. I have done a decent amount of mods and repairs to the car but the only thing I have done even close to the TB is an UICP.

What is happening is after I drive my car around for a few minutes and gets warmed up the idle begins to creep up from 800 rpm to around 1500 rpm and even at times it has gotten as high as 2000 rpm. If I pop the hood and push the throttle manually backwards it stops. It is like it is getting stuck. But even after I do this it will start doing it again as soon as the car builds up rpm's. I have searched the forums and couldnt find any answers so I am asking everyone for some help.

I am thinking it has something to do with either the throttle cable or the tb is getting stuck. But I wanted to ask incase anyone has had this happen to them and knows exactly what the problem is before I start tearing things apart.

Thanks in advance for all your help :confused:

I had this one happen to me. I cleaned out the thottlebody and adjusted the cable (follow the cable back a foot and you'll see a bracket w/ 2 10mm bolts) in a little bit so it closed properly. Hasn't happened again in 4000 miles. I also greased what I could of the cable and spring area on th TB.

Thanks for the advice, I tried adjusting the cable at the location you described and it didnt seem to help but I need to try and clean and grease the rest.

Thanks, :thumb:

I switched to a non-cruise throttle cable.

Mine was doing the same thing and it was because of a bind in "one" of the throttle cables or pulleys in the lame cruise control system.

So you eliminated your cruise control or just used the cable for a car withoug CC. And how much was a new cable.

Same thing happened to me. I took out the whole cruise control setup under the hood. The whole troubleshoot process for something that I don't even use was too aggravating. A new non cruise control cable will run you about $45 from one of the vendors on this site. Fixed the problem and I wish I did it even sooner even though cleaning the TB is not a bad thing. Plus it makes it easier to work in that area of the engine bay; not to mention looks less cluttered.

FearceDSM said:
Same thing happened to me. I took out the whole cruise control setup under the hood. The whole troubleshoot process for something that I don't even use was too aggravating. A new non cruise control cable will run you about $45 from one of the vendors on this site. Fixed the problem and I wish I did it even sooner even though cleaning the TB is not a bad thing. Plus it makes it easier to work in that area of the engine bay; not to mention looks less cluttered.

I did exactly this as well.

Can someone point me to a decent tech article on removing the C/C. I have searched the vfaq and 1000 already answered questions and didnt see anything. Dsm.org says that thier search page is completely broken, LOL.

Thanks for the help :thumb:

Shirley :laugh: someone knows of a good article to read or can give some tips on removing the cruise control and swapping out to a non-cruise cable.

Swapping out the cable tomorrow, any last bits of advice for me????

Hey, where did you order that cable from? I'm about to do this next week too. I took my TB apart and cleaned everything off to look brand spanking new and its still sticking open. I've made up my mind to get a non-CC line.

Most of the vendors from this site carry it you just have to dig a little. I ordered mine from Buschur Racing $45.00 and they had it in stock.

Just finished the non-cruise cable swap and it seems to have fixed the problem. Throttle response has also improved.
:thumb:

If I'm not mistaken this is the non cruise cable from a 2.4L spyder correct? If so the part number is MB904111, and I believe I picked mine up for under 30 dollars without shipping from san-rafael.

On the same note, since I havent done the install yet. I can remove the pulley system, as well as that other large black bracket that connects to it and has a wiring harness correct? The bracket in question is between the battery and the intercooler piping. I just want to be sure before I go pulling things. Thanks

Yes you will remove the pully system and the bracket in between the batt. and UICP it should have a vacuum line connected to it.

Also I would like to know if anyone had trouble getting the cable bolted to the firewall. I had to modify mine and I could still only get one bolt in???

If I remember right there is a little cone shaped plastic peice that you must pop out and then the cable slides out from the top. Once you have that out just put the new cable in and pull the cone shaped plastic piece into place to hold it.

Can anyone verify the part number for this piece for me? I recieved a cable with the part number MB904111, and it doesnt appear to be the correct cable, after having tried to remove my cruise assembly this weekend. It doesnt have the flange that bolts to the firewall on it. It almost appears to be the cruise cable itself. Id like further verification if I could. I just called the local mitsu dealer and they gave me part number MB948632 as the only one that was listed on their parts list.

I got mine from Buschur and unfortunately I cant remember the part number, but if you give them a call I'm sure they could verify it for you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back