The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Throttle body shaft seals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FORMONTOYA

DSM Wiseman
Oct 7, 2004
Houston, Texas
I recently got my fuel system in line and could not resist the urge to finally do a pull on it, 14psi wg spring pressure for now. I had performed a boost leak test earlier and could hold 25psi, but evidently the volume of air from the turbo blew out the old tb shaft seals. Under boost I heard a whistle, got home and tested it, damn boost leak.

I have ordered the o-rings and tb gaskets but in the vfaq it says to use silicone grease on the o-rings.

I have some left over from an Energy Suspension bushing install. I have searched the web and noticed that there is different compounds of silicone grease:

Silicone Grease/Lubricants/Compounds

DOWSIL: SILICONE COMPOUND NO. 211 Silicone High Vacuum Grease. This is a stiff, non-melt, non-oxidizing, water resistive lubricant. It is commonly used to seal vacuum & pressure systems. Packing: 500 gms/ 1 kg/ 5 kg/ Packs.

DOWSIL: SILICONE COMPOUND NO. 84, Silicone High Temperature Grease. This is lithium modified silicone grease having greater temperature resistance. Packing: 1 kg containers

DOWSIL: SILICONE COMPOUND NO. 21, Multipurpose Silicone Grease. This is a non-melt, non gumming, multipurpose, non-oxidising, water resistive, dielectric silicone grease. Packing: 1kg/ 5kg/ packs.

DOWSIL: SILICONE COMPOUND NO. 19, Silicone Dielectric Grease This is a translucent, water resistive, lubricant having high dieletric and thermal resistance. Packing: 1 kg/ 5kg packs.

DOWSIL: SILICONE COMPOUND NO. 17, Silicone Release Grease This is soft, buttery silicone grease, meant to lubricate, low load, low torque, low friction parts and delicate instruments. Packing : 1 kg/ 5 kg/ 25 kg packs.

DOWSIL: SILICONE COMPOUND NO. 7, Silicone Heat sink compound It is grease like, milky white paste, compounded with a unique blend of heat conductive oxides. Packing: 1 kg / 5 kg.

I just wanted to verify that the leftover grease should work. I don't know what compound is used by ES, but looking at the different discriptions I would assume it is No. 17 or 19, so opinions are needed.

Thanks,

Jim

I have been using dielectric grease for all of my o-ring installs, fuel pump, injectors, TB shaft seals, CAS....etc. and have not had any issues sealing. On a side note, make sure you're using real shaft seals instead of o-ring.

FORMONTOYA said:
Cool.

I ordered the tb gaskets, shaft seals, and just for grins a new BISS screw + o-ring from MachV.

Thanks,

Jim

Just for future reference, the BISS and o-ring can be purchased for much cheaper at a dealership (so can the gaskets). Im not sure who spread the rumor that they cant be found at dealerships but they can.

Turbocharged said:
Just for future reference, the BISS and o-ring can be purchased for much cheaper at a dealership (so can the gaskets). Im not sure who spread the rumor that they cant be found at dealerships but they can.

Not sure about the 2g stuff, but for those of us running a 1g TB / 6bolt setup you cannot get the TB shaft seals at the dealership. Unless someone has a part # they told Matt (blackgsx2g) and I that you had to get the whole TB, even showing us the mistu cap program thing and no part #'s for the seals.

Stapl3 said:
Dealer prices beating MachV prices, no way.

The cheap o-rings from homedepot work perfectly fine.

BISS part number -> MD614948

Its listed for $0.99 at http://www.worldparts.com/tallmits/. The prices there are for the typical dsm discount price (20% off). IF YOU BUY DEALER PARTS FROM A RACE SHOP BE PREPARED TO PAY MORE. Where do you think these shops get the parts from in the first place. In this case the mark up is 700%. Throttle body gaskets (MD194578 and MD194827) are listed for $2.80 and $2.18 vs $9.00 (for both) from MachV plus shipping. Again, 180% markup.

Im not trying to give anyone a hard time... Im just trying to help out people who read this in the future. The price difference may seem somewhat insignificant but if you are always buying OEM parts from race shops, it adds up. Not to mention paying for shipping. Dealership all the way (just dont let them touch your car).

And no, there is no parts listing for the shaft seals. I too used o-rings from a hardware store (#5 3/8x1/4x1/16). Ive had a 1g TB for 2 years now with the dealership gaskets, BISS, and cap. I have zero leaks. I used dielectric grease on the o-rings.

Oh, and the BISS o-ring is MD608806. Its listed for $2.34 but I just used an o-ring from a hardware store.

Turbocharged said:
Oh, and the BISS o-ring is MD608806. Its listed for $2.34 but I just used an o-ring from a hardware store.

Word. I replaced my TB shaft seals and BISS o-ring for less than $3 by walking down to the local ace. No wait and only cost pocket change. :thumb:

I used Sil-Glide from Napa. Seems to have worked fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back