The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

thoes with JL Audio w7 subs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2orbit

20+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2003
North_CarolinaUS
what size sub? how many? whats powering them? extra batteries/what kind anything else to help withpower demand..... and how do they sound

i'm looking at getting the 12 or the 13.5 just trying to get some ideas from people who have them in a eclipse..

i heard one in a store and it beat like hell but in a car can make a difference

in hatch backs any sub sounds 10x better compared to a sub in a regular trunk. that w7 i think is overkill unless your into spl and such. besides it weighs a ton.

i want something that hits hard as hell when i need it too... right now i have mb quart q series componets mb quart 6x9s with a soundstream refference 4414 pushing them.. my old sub setuo was 4 10" rf power dvc's powered by a old power 1000. i was hitting 148.7 on the dash..... i'm trying to see how clos ei can get to that spl number with one sub..

so far im looking at a 12w7 with the 1000.1 hooked up to it...

just trying to get ideas from people who have this sub

my roommate here at school has 2 12'' w6's w/ 2 500watt amps ( 1 amp for each sub)

and i can honestly say, ive never been more let down in my life. i never heard w7's, but i know my roommate's w6's are a let down. i was expecting so much more. i dont know if the amps are off or what the hell is going on but they sound terrbile. they are way too "puncy" and down hit with that deep bass. they are in a ported box in the back of a 05 jeep grand charokee so there is plenty on air back there. i dont know, but if i had to pick between my system (2 RF HE2 12s, RF 750w amp, 1 farad cap) and his, i would hands down take mine over it. mine sounds 100x better.

he may need to ajust his crossover....w7 has like a 750 watt rms rating.. i attached a pic of a w7 and a he2.. no comparison

Attachments

• he2.jpg
    he2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 756
  • jl.JPG
    jl.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 694
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115645&page=5&pp=25&highlight=subwoofer here is the link to my enclosure pics im at the bottom. i have one 10W7 with a Jl 500/1 pushing it. no cap no extra batterries. no lights dimming except interior when im pounding at ungodly volume levels. i love this sub it hits hard when i need it to and sounds great at all levels.

in tha hatch it pounds. i definately recommend getting a JL amp for it and tuning it based off that and set up the system according to specs. i used 4 guage wiring through out car and built box to exact specs of what the sub needs if you sham on any of these areas you will affect sound quality as well as power consumption affects. any questions ask away.

My friend has 2 w7 in this E-class with 2 JL amps 2 batteries and 1 cap, 150 amp
alternator. The thing hits so hard you can see the roof and the rear glass flex about 1/2 inch, when he turns it up. Sound quality is awesome too.

If I was going to get 12s definetlly W7s. I think they're worth the money if you want
good sound.

I swear I posted this last night in a thread identical to this. But yeah, I'd seriously look into Adire Audio Shiva's 12 inch subs. They're bloody awesome, will hit hard and clear no matter how much or little power you putt through them.

n2orbit said:
he may need to ajust his crossover....w7 has like a 750 watt rms rating.. i attached a pic of a w7 and a he2.. no comparison

im not saying HE2's are better subs then w7's at all (my roommate has w6's BTW) w7's are one of the best subs made right now - i think the only subs id take over them are L7 kickers, but im just saying my system sounds better then his. someone is def wrong with his w6's i know, but im not sure what and he doesnt want to admit that they dont sound right. o well.

i wasn't putting your system down by no means.. i just attached the pics incase you didnt know what they were.. he just may ned to tune his cross over

The 12" model is almost 1000 even. The 15" model is about 12-1300. I stuck with a single 12 for now, and plan on adding another eventually.

For amps, JL makes the best quality amp. Although their price is a dollar per watt, a JL amp with a JL sub results with the cleanest and best sounding quality IMO. The W7 has a 750 RMS, true, but I've got a single JL 500/1 amp on mine, and it sounds incredible, and provides a LOT of thump. I do plan on upgrading amps too, but this setup is best for those that can't go all out with expense, and want something that sounds very nice.

Colossus said:
The 12" model is almost 1000 even. The 15" model is about 12-1300. I stuck with a single 12 for now, and plan on adding another eventually.

For amps, JL makes the best quality amp. Although their price is a dollar per watt, a JL amp with a JL sub results with the cleanest and best sounding quality IMO. The W7 has a 750 RMS, true, but I've got a single JL 500/1 amp on mine, and it sounds incredible, and provides a LOT of thump. I do plan on upgrading amps too, but this setup is best for those that can't go all out with expense, and want something that sounds very nice.
pics?

yeah i wish Jl would make a 800/1 or a 750/1 cause the 10w7 can take more then the 500 my 500/1 is giving it(sounds awesome anyways) but ive heard the 13.5 on a 500/1 and it sounded dope as well so i just believe they know what they are doing in terms of speakers/amps

yeah who ever has the w6's i had to take my 500/1 to the local shop here to have them adjust the dials and gains to get it sounded tight cause when i did it it sounded like ass so adjust some settings on ya radio and amp if you have the right amount of power going to those subs and results should get better

im going to leave my soundstream in for the highs and get 1 12w7 with the 1000.1 i think it'll sound bad ass from what you guys are saying

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back