The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

This the car for me??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadFacedKid

Probationary Member
Oct 17, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Hey my people's! After the couple of responses I got on my last post I decided to make the plunge and buy a 2g eclipse gsx. I've been on the prowl like a mad dog. While driving on a random back road with my lady I saw one on the side if the road for 3500 but after the guy let me take a closer look it was modded to high heaven and still wasn't it great condition so I passed it up but today I saw this add (http://http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/4139294060.html) on Craigslist. I've been in contact with the guy and everything seems legit. The one obvious thing is the "knocking sound". We had been texting back and forth before we had a chance to chat on the phone this is what he said

Hi Aaron, yes haha this definitely hasn't been ruined its very clean and has no mods other than what's in the listing. I understand your dilemma but I really can't go much lower than 2000. But about the knock it starts right up every time, idles great you would have no idea but as soon as you give it gas maybe around 2k rpm you can start to hear it knock in one of the cylinders, not the head it sounds like its in the bottom end. She has been well taken care of, never been beat on and this problem literally happened overnight. Please let me know! Thanks

I told him I'd consult some of my people (that being you all, LOL!) so I'm wondering could that knocking problem be something I could get right myself or should I stay away from the car?

Probably a rod or main bearing going out.. Should also ask him to do a compression test while you are there so you slightly get an idea of how healthy the engine is.

looks well taken care of; if you really want a DSM, then you found a good starting point.

Didn't take the time to look at the other post you mentioned but what is your overall budget and goal for the car power and handling wise? If you are going to start a project with a car that sounds as if its going to need at the very least an entire shortblock soon, why not just go as cheap as possible? I am not sure how the market is out there but the west coast there are a ton of blown motor 2gs for around $1000, $2k seems way high to me but could just be a difference in area, though I kind of doubt it.

I just did a very quick CL search and am not sure of how far this would be from you but you should call this guy and see if its a TSi or not and figure out whats up!

chrysler eagle talon 1997

Its a 2gb Talon which is about as sweet as it gets, although it is an auto they can be amazing for a drag car and the auto crowd has grown tremendously over the last few years around here. Lots of innovation and new parts to help improve the strip times they have been putting down.

So what is your end goal and total budget for your build?

Its a 2gb Talon which is about as sweet as it gets, although it is an auto they can be amazing for a drag car and the auto crowd has grown tremendously over the last few years around here. Lots of innovation and new parts to help improve the strip times they have been putting down.

Dude, its an NT.

Didn't take the time to look at the other post you mentioned but what is your overall budget and goal for the car power and handling wise? If you are going to start a project with a car that sounds as if its going to need at the very least an entire shortblock soon, why not just go as cheap as possible? I am not sure how the market is out there but the west coast there are a ton of blown motor 2gs for around $1000, $2k seems way high to me but could just be a difference in area, though I kind of doubt it.

I just did a very quick CL search and am not sure of how far this would be from you but you should call this guy and see if its a TSi or not and figure out whats up!

Yeah thats def. A N/T I'm pretty sure dude wants a 4G not a 420a..

And to help out the problem I had a 420a that had no knock until about 2,000-2,500 RPM then it knocked, turns out 2 crank bearings were bad I dropped the oil pan replaced all while I was there and sold it.

Do a compression test as stated to see if motor is healthy. As crazy as it sounds it could be bad lifter tick and he just thinks it a knock which in my case I thought the same thing and lifters were seized.

For that price is numbers come back good then buy it

If its an auto it could be a broken flexplate which would sound like a lower end knock and wouldnt have any effect on idle

The picture clearly shows its a manual. It is most likely rod knock. If you have the engine building skills if can be handled for not too much money. He might of ran it out of oil or something (if never beaten on like he said) Rebuild the block, new oil pump, and check the turbo for shaft play (may need rebuild or replacement) and you would be good to go. I would get a junkyard crank polished, and just have the rods reconditioned., new rings and bearings, replace all the seals and you have the piece of mind the motor will be like new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back