1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

The future of music

Posted by BlkSmk, Feb 13, 2019 at 9:47 PM

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. BlkSmk

BlkSmk Probationary Member

Joined Mar 10, 2013
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    So as a long haul trucker.. I listen to alot of music and got to wondering..

Sirius radio in my opinion is basicly obsolete... you got YouTube music spotify and other sources.. just curious what others think and looking for ideas to expand on newer sources of music.

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    I've never really listened to satellite radio. I think Spotify, Amazon Music and others have been widely embraced, so it seems like satellite radio is going to be hurting for sure. Is that why you think it's obsolete, because of the competition?

Street Build 8K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  3. tametalon92

tametalon92 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    While I agree that Sirius isnt really worth the cost, I don't think that it can be completely counted out due to streaming services, simply because there are still places that you can't get streaming capabilities from lack of service.

SiriusXM has a few advantages as well, namely the new-up-and-coming artists that you wouldn't hear for 6 months, wider service coverage area and consistent music bit-rate quality.

If SiriusXM was half the cost, it'd be more worth it.

Otherwise I'd recommend Amazon music to download for pennies on the dollar and have access to your music whenever you want. I do alot SiriusXM installs for truckers and fleet vehicles, a fair amount for private citizens and it's pretty hard to beat the programming that Sirius offers in the service area provided.

Street Build 182  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 431  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    I have a SiriusXM all access subscription, I also have a Spotify premium subscription, and subscribe to Amazon Prime (still have yet to actually USE their music service though...)

I use SXM and Spotify on a regular basis, but to be honest I actually prefer SiriusXM. Some stations can be repetitive, but having access to damn near any sporting event from NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB to off-beat channels like Faction playing early 90's punk rock.. in my opinion it's worth the $20 a month I pay just for ease of use and accessibility. The news and talk shows don't hurt either.

Spotify is great for listening straight through a new album or queuing up a personal playlist, but 9 times out of 10 I'd rather just swap to a station on SXM that fits whatever mood I'm in and let the tunes flow.

Street Build 1K  11

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. BlkSmk

BlkSmk Probationary Member

Joined Mar 10, 2013
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Basicly. Yes it's the same song everyday all the time. So I figure that with other apps services and most modern cars offer wifi built in.. Sirius is like dialup internet

6. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    Despite the fact that I have a "fancy" double din with all options (IHeart,Sirius,Pandora,Spotify), I still carry around my 10 CD-RW's that hold 125-150 mp3's of hand picked tunes and swap out, it's over 1200 + songs and I find that this does me just fine during the 6 months I drive the car (May-Oct)..