1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build Techboy's 99 4G63

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    Car was scheduled for a 4 hour alignment. Got the fenders rolled while it was there too.

yJtqIW.jpg
    qn4g3N.jpg

Now its time to enjoy it and get familiar with each other for the next month until the weather turns.

o18esK.jpg

aDJ132.jpg

When I get a chance, maybe this weekend, I'd like to put it up in the air and check out the DP work JMF did.

Street Build 167  1

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4

Street Build 2K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
    d1prospect and pat white like this.
  2. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    So, I've had the car home an entire week now and I have driven it 3 times ... so I have some initial reactions:

First, it's my car, but its not. Lol. It "feels" so different. I've had this car 20 years, so we have a lot of history together at this point. It's looks the same inside, but doesn't feel like my car.

Second, up to this point it's always been a GST so the launches and hard accelerations where always kinda violent with wheel hop and torque steer. Now, it just squats and goes. I say squats b/c most of my daily drivers have been trucks - I currently drive an FJ Cruiser, so everything has been RWD. I've never owned anything AWD and it just reminds me of how a RWD feels, except without the fear of getting squirrely.

Third - it's loud. Way loud. I still have mixed feelings about the STM exhaust. I really loved my Greddy and the aggressive tone it gave the car without being obnoxious. The STM is louder and at some RPM's has a frequency that rings in my ears. I'll probably learn to live with it, but I'm definitely not in love with it. I guess it's louder b/c it's a straighter shot from the turbo to exit and has a much smaller muffler. The Greddy's muffler was huge and I think had some baffling inside, and the GST piping itself did some twisting and turning which I'm sure muted it a bit.

Fourth - it needs a good detail. It doesn't look it in the pics above, but up close it looks like a car that has a lot of work done to it over the last 24 months.

Those are my thoughts so far. So good to be driving it again.

Street Build 167  1

Street Build 2K  6

13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
    d1prospect likes this.
  3. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    My 1st DSM was a GST. I can remember having to get used to all the driveline clatter when I got my 1st GSX.

Now when I say clatter, Im not referring to anything wrong or broken, its just all those additional moving parts.

I missed that ultra smoothness the GST offered, but that lasted a very short time and I was over it. Great job on the swap dude.

Street Build 2K  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Vegas Smith

Vegas Smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Car looks great. Good build thread.

Street Build 4K  4

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    This weekend I put the car up in the air for the first time since the GSX swap just to take a look at things underneath and make sure everything was cool. It was also my first chance to see the work that JMFab did to my downpipe. I tried looking for the engine bay, but I could see anything. It looks like they added about a 1 inch section to the downpipe.

GPgmxH.jpg

You can see very clearly now how much space there is between the downpipe and the oil pan. I can easily get my fingers in there now.
    3WPylf.jpg

Street Build 167  1

Street Build 2K  6

13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  6. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    I have been running a UDP for probably close to 15 years now, or maybe even more. There was a point in time they were all the rage. Years ago I noticed at night my lights were dimming at traffic stops, so I decided to upgrade to a Galant alternator, but it didn't fix the problem. So, I did some research and found out that UDP's can often cause this, so I bought this OEM sized pulley available from VMS. And then I put it on my shelf and sat there for probably 5 years. I bought it so long ago, I don't even know if it's still available. Since I finished up the GSX swap and the weather has been cold I've had an awful belt squeal. Kinda embarrassing. So, I dug around in the garage until I found the pulley and then picked up some new belts. I quick swapped them on yesterday while I had the car up in the air. So far, no squeal.

xKtXEd.jpg

IEMHx7.jpg

lk687Z.jpg

Street Build 167  1

Street Build 2K  6

13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
  7. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    Issues with the belt?

make sure the waterpump pulley assemblies outer half is not on backwards...........I bought a car a few years ago that came this way. Took me a couple weeks and trying a couple belts for me to finally notice. It can be bolted on and will work both ways.........its just that if its backwards, it will throw things off just enough to cause a fussy annoying belt.

Street Build 2K  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Hmm ... I'll have to check that out. I doubt it b/c I'm just so familiar with this motor, but I've made mistakes in the past when rushing to put things back together, so who knows. Thanks for the suggestion.

Street Build 167  1

Street Build 2K  6

13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
  9. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Update on the squeal I was talking about above. Still no squeal. P/S belt is the same. Put a new Alternator belt along with the new pulley and removed the AC belt entirely.

When I had the downpipe modified at JMF the dp gasket got destroyed so they put a temporary paper one in there for me (they game me a heads up about it). I didn't last very long. I could hear within a few drives I had a leak. Took apart with some time I had off here over Christmas. Sure enough.

HmDCSr.jpg

FIHOBP.jpg

Grabbed a Vibrant gasket online.
    3aTTOr.jpg

So that minor problem is all buttoned up now. The oddly warm weather allowed me to get the car out and get it washed up before throwing the cover over it for the winter. I put exactly 301 miles on it since completing the swap relatively problem free, so I think we should be good to go in the spring. I'll be anxious for this winter to end and really put some miles on.

EGnrHe.jpg

Fmkk2E.jpg

Street Build 167  1

Street Build 2K  6

13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
    Techn0Nut1996, BLACK'98DSM and tk106 like this.
  10. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Car looks sickkkkk! Those wheel, that paint :applause:

521  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

550  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
  11. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Maybe I missed it, but where did you buy that silver front bumper logo from?

Road Race Build 4K  10  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

72  6

1998 Ford Mustang GT
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles
  12. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lol ... I bought that about 20 years ago when the 3G's first came out. I either got it right from Mitsu, or MachV ... which I'm not even sure if they exist anymore. I had the front bumper repainted at one point in like 03 or 04 when I stopped dailying it and it was all full of road chips. I removed the red one then and put the silver one on.

Street Build 167  1

Street Build 2K  6

13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
  13. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    I've been kinda quite on the forum here the last few months so I figured I'd jump in with an UPDATE: I've got almost 600 miles on the car so far this year. Two long distance trips where I put on 120 miles at a shot and it's been great! The AWD setup is awesome. I'm falling in love with my car all over again. I've literally done nothing to the car so far this year other than drive it. I just found out last night one of the car shows in our area was rescheduled for July 12th now that we are "green" so I'll definitely be hitting that up.

Oh, and I'm apparently on ECMTuning wait list for a DSMLink. Hopefully I can make that switch soon.

Here's two pics I posted on IG from an early evening run I did the other week.

SuEB6J.jpg

3ANg0D.jpg

Street Build 167  1

Street Build 2K  6

13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
    NWHTanK, jinscho and TK's9d2TSi like this.
  14. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So.Nice!!!! :thumb:

521  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

550  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
  15. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    Mach V still exists, but sadly no longer do anything for these cars.

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  16. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Like everyone else back in the day I debadged this car. I'm not sure why that was all the rage, but I did it too - I guess we were trying to be mysterious OMG. I thought completing the GSX swap would be good reason to badge it back up. So here we go.

The Mitsu decal I've been sitting on for a couple of years, along with a GST one I bought as well. The GSX decal I just picked up over the winter.
    Vb1m6P.jpg

Here's back of the car as of now.
    WRGuRs.jpg

I never noticed this before ... ever, but in this is dusk lighting with a work light at just the right angle you can actually still see the marks of the original decal.
    X4caHS.jpg

Measured in 35mm on each side and up about 4mm ... specs I got from another post on the forum here.
    38738r.jpg

PUG7PZ.jpg

I LOVE the "new" look. Makes me wonder why I ever took them off.
    GmlCEc.jpg

Street Build 167  1

Street Build 2K  6

13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
  17. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    I always liked cars without badges, just a smoother, uninterrupted look I think.

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  18. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Been out to Front Street Media's C&C event hosted by Turn14 Distribution the past two months. I'm hoping they'll have one more before it gets too cold. It's been cool to be featured on their site. Lot of cars ... but still the only DSM.

wHxrkx.jpg

GbRYFd.jpg

Street Build 167  1

Street Build 2K  6

13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
    jinscho, Techn0Nut1996 and NWHTanK like this.
  19. Techn0Nut1996

Techn0Nut1996 Supporting Member

Joined Jan 20, 2017
    Ames, Iowa
    ^ Car is looking fantastic!

1K  3

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM