The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

TD04HL on stock 420a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNugg99

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 21, 2011
Battle Creek, Michigan
ok i have searched alot trying to gain knowledge about my car, the charastics of the motor, turbo, compressor maps, tunning, and have a book of formulas i have wrote down. i have my plan but it would make me feel better to hear from someone that this turbo is as great as what it seems for my car. my set-up is a stock 420a. What i am expecting/wanting is quick spool and very efficient (cool steady flow) at 8psig. i am 800-950ft above sea level and plan on running a small-medium FMIC. i am planning on building my own msII (or buy one from someone cheap *hint*) and start at 4psi until i get the tunning mastered moving it up to 8psi max. i would like to know if anyone has ried a TD04HL (stock 1g auto 13g) turbo and what the reults were? i have one available with no shaft play and all the lines and downpipe for $80. any insight or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Should be a good little turbo for what you want to push. You said youve done a lot of research did you go threw and read what other have reported after turboing there 420a? Or better yet talked to some of the people and see what they think. That turbo will spool up really fast but idk if it will hold power until redline. Especially if having to compress the IC setup too. Maby look at getting a 14b youll give a bit on the spool up but it will make more up top and won't have to work as hard to hold boost levels.

Its a good place to start. Stock internals can't take more than 8psi anyways and that is if your engine is in really good condition. I would recommend you to rebuild the engine and getting a bigger turbo.

thanks for the encouragement and information guys. i am a member @ 2gnt also under the same name and i have indeed read dozens of stories and builds of stock 420a's boosted but i believe with good research, well thought out plan, patience and a really good tune you can be sucessful and have a reliable dd. i have not found anyone with this turbo on this engine. i know the hot side is pretty large in comparison to the cold side and wonder if it would help with surge near ridline. thats one reason i started this thread... thats the thing i couldnt figure out by plotting charts and plugging in numbers to formulas. when i get closer to build time i will start a build thread. if i get to the point where i want to go with more boost i will invest in a turbo awd platform.

ok i looked at the 2gnt link but i dont think the td05 12b is close enough to this turbo to compare thoughts. if i'm not wrong the td04hl i am looking into is a 13g with a 5cm and close to a 14b-16g hot side and the td05 12b is smaller in reguards to both AR and compressor size. i could be wrong.

what i would like to know is a formula to determine how much pressure a motor puts out with given factors like bore, stroke, rpm etc and then plug those numbers at each rpm increment onto a hotside compressor map to determin spool, surge, choke etc so i can get an idea of what i would actually be dealing with. i have not been sucessful in hunting down a set of formulas but not from lack of effort... i have searched for hours on my "dumbphone" browser. if anyone knows of a site that would have the formulas for me to write down it would be greatly appreciated!

'

That is my thread over at 2GNT :)

The 12B has a td05 turbine housing but a smaller 12B compressor. It would be perfect for small 5-8 PSI from my research and specs i got off the original Volvo 740 TI car. The only issues i am having at the moment is trying to figure out if i am going to use a T3 manifold from eBay with a T3-TD05 adapter or have someone make me a manifold with a TD05 flange. also question i have been contemplating is the was it mounts to the manifold.

I also have a thread here on DSMtuners

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back