The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Surface rust on balance shaft bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronth777

Proven Member
Apr 12, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
Hello all, just a quick question here. I ordered the balance shaft delete kit from stmtuned, but all 3 bearings have very visible surface rust on the outside, is this a problem? I can't feel it when i run my finger over it but thought I would ask some dsm experts. I don't want to install it only for it to cause problems

Hello all, just a quick question here. I ordered the balance shaft delete kit from stmtuned, but all 3 bearings have very visible surface rust on the outside, is this a problem? I can't feel it when i run my finger over it but thought I would ask some dsm experts. I don't want to install it only for it to cause problems

Since you are not running balance shafts, the condition of the bearings shouldn't matter since they are not being utilized. You have to remove the bearings anyway to install them so the oil gallies don't line up as to not cause oil pressure issues. When you have the bearings out, just sand them lightly and clean them up.

Okay good to know. Just to satisfy my curiosity, if I were keeping the balance shafts, would the rust be a concern? If I'm correct in how the bearing works, the bearing itself doesn't spin, right? The balance shaft just spins inside it. So theoretically if the inside surface is good then isn't that all that matters?

Okay good to know. Just to satisfy my curiosity, if I were keeping the balance shafts, would the rust be a concern? If I'm correct in how the bearing works, the bearing itself doesn't spin, right? The balance shaft just spins inside it. So theoretically if the inside surface is good then isn't that all that matters?
Yes. Is the rust on the outside of the bearing? Pictures would be helpful. I've rarely seen rust on aluminum or other bearing materials.

Yes. Is the rust on the outside of the bearing? Pictures would be helpful. I've rarely seen rust on aluminum or other bearing materials.
Here's a picture to show you what I'm talking about

Attachments

• 20200610_222702.jpg
    20200610_222702.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 145
Here's a picture to show you what I'm talking about
No that won't affect anything as long as it's on the outer diameter. We're I using them to reinstall balance shafts, I'd probably be asking for a new set.

I think I would show the boys at STM that picture. I have never gotten anything from them in anything but new condition.

Hold up....3 bearings? There should only be two. Explain please

Even on their website it doesn't show that. Most people I know just leave the old rear shaft bearing in as it doesn't do anything. The fe9nts you have to replace to block off oil passages. Rear doesnt have a passage. Its fed through the shaft which in a delete no longer exists

He must have gotten the same "kit" that I use. They send all 3 bearings, the stub and the plug for the block. I haven't figured out why the 2 bearing "kit" is almost $30 more.
Looked at their page again, the 2 bearing "kit" has factory Mitsu bearings. If I am not using them as a bearing anyway, I don't see needing OEM BS bearings.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

He must have gotten the same "kit" that I use. They send all 3 bearings, the stub and the plug for the block. I haven't figured out why the 2 bearing "kit" is almost $30 more.
Looked at their page again, the 2 bearing "kit" has factory Mitsu bearings. If I am not using them as a bearing anyway, I don't see needing OEM BS bearings.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Yes thats the exact kit I got. As you said, theres no need for the more expensive OEM bearings if you're going for the delete. This is all good information though

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back