1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Super Street Magazine Featuring a Galant VR-4

Posted by GST with PSI, Oct 18, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    If you all have been following the build over the past few months, you may have seen my Galant here and there. It started with @Wheelwell hooking me up with Super Street, which spiraled into a bunch of other opportunities:

1837 Competing in the Super Street Show Car Shootout IV

A Galant Featured on Hoonigan AutoFocus?!?

Last but not least, the Super Street Magazine featuring my Galant is finally out! Pick up the December 2019 issue, Vol. 23 No. 12 to see the "No Contest" feature and all of the Super Street Showcar Shootout content. It would be awesome if you all would pick up a copy and support Super Street, which is one of the few tuner magazines still in print.

I found copies at Barnes and Noble, but most places that carry Motor Trend magazines should have it.

Shout out again to @wheelwell for setting all of this in motion!

MZFRrX5wVwNml-4K12dC2TZtEwitNXc74vdZNKVUu8lNtz_muOtahFuJneEwV6Ylqzh29ORlV9-PxXP_aNO=w469-h625-no.jpg
    32l1R7aArmOuo3XemvGDEYqrHO5shjqoQAx7NMeBsI3qekjEKzXbl768GTBKpOz3S2vHW2eFWza-fJ2cs0=w1004-h626-no.jpg
    Q-UOV4BibyKPyLOQHnsLCn5Cb5kXTxr_n9CcuktzXMOzXbGUn4piGNLGXyY6IjCi5eQTxaqqPrDMBhHnt8c=w882-h626-no.jpg
    bkpRJC8_zfzyH4nidJ65kP6k8bIn_rSgSCrMrfLJ1aikpbPBYC2s-bdNLGuh5qdwKVaxwQ6KkTYTbg7lnID=w912-h626-no.jpg
    O7u3JTxPWItPLZjc2crp_V9AHU3I33TjTYfqnnylBvVK1xQctOLB1Vzc1xWEgik6xfAn355HN5pTFM1c8nM=w925-h626-no.jpg
    zv6rPgPe0qq3l_vbf21xfSHpjcY62RQUEfFxM6bj5n2apo2Y2ZN1gTy50qzA5P8q9U-u781CxlcXL0TzRDm=w574-h625-no.jpg

Street Build 24K  17  143

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    12.030 @ 119.39 · Galant VR-4

480  17

1982 Yamaha Virago
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 5K  74

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4
  2. 19Eclipse90

19Eclipse90 DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 29, 2003
    OKC, Oklahoma
    That is really neat to see, Brett! Amazing that old cars like these can still hang tough with some of the newer platforms out there. From a different standpoint, it's really awesome to see what a well-planned build can do when the attention to detail is put forth. Great job!

GST with PSI likes this.
  3. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    Thanks, Brian!

I was surprised at a lot of what happened that day. That was my first time driving on a real road course, so the learning curve was real. Cutting my fastest lap, and improving my lap times all day up to that point was a huge personal accomplishment.

As far as the car, just the fact that it held together under really harsh conditions lap after lap had me stoked. Being able to beat out most of the field was unexpected, especially since my car was one of the few cars there that was not track prepped at all. All I did prior to the event was get the car aligned with some more aggressive specs. Hell, I even detuned the car by pulling boost and peak timing out of the map. It was over 100 degrees that day, so running the car on the ragged edge wasn't really an option if I had any hopes of it holding together all day. Street tires, full interior, air conditioning...Hell, I even left the 10" subwoofer in the trunk! #alltheweight

The one thing that I did realize, was how much potential the car has waiting to be unlocked. If I got serious about tracking the car, I could definitely make some minor tweaks that would absolutely transform the car into a force to be reckoned with. But, then I wouldn't have a street car I could jump in and drive anywhere, and any time. And, I think road racing is too rich for my blood. I've got some expensive hobbies, and they don't even compare.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019

480  17

1982 Yamaha Virago

Street Build 5K  74

4. ishnish

ishnish Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2011
    Modesto, California
    Dude!! You came in that high without any experience on tracking or pushing your car in such extreme conditions?! DAMN, seriously.. DAMN congrats!

This makes me wanna work on my car again LOL nice to know we can still hang with the "younger", more advanced cars.. jeezz. I'm still shocked. Couldn't be more proud or happy for ya'.

Street Build 1K  8

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    GST with PSI likes this.
  5. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    I appreciate that!

I was extremely happy with how I placed in the field. Essentially, I got beat out by guys who brought legit track prepped cars. We're talking cages, gutted, slicks, etc. At the end of the day, I was just outclassed, which I can live with.

480  17

1982 Yamaha Virago

Street Build 5K  74

ishnish likes this.
  6. jakelandry

jakelandry Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2009
    Minden, Louisiana
    Very cool man. You should definitely be proud.

3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.410 @ 125.490 · 2G DSM
    GST with PSI likes this.