The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

suggestions for 450hp+

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

if i wanted a honduh i'd have bought one, but what do you know... i don't own one cuz they're crap. if someone had NICELY said to me in the beginning where i've gone wrong in teh list, this thread wouldn't have gotten ugly. since everyone is quick to flame, this thread is now worthless.

all i have to say is name brands dont mean anything man, just search and do your home work and u could find out whats good and bad, as for a few like people said apexi n1 exhaust is good but rnr and therminal are alsome, same for dp, agpturbos make some alsome kits and there not apexi,or hks, intakes u could get a nice looking if thats what u like and better ithink performance with the dejon intake then the injen, ask for electronics i would say name brands is the way to go like a apexi turbo timer or greddy, a safcII is great but only to a point, u could get a named brand stand alone but u could also get a dsmlink whitch is a lot cheaper, for boost controls greddy or something like hks and apexi is the way to go, and for guages let me tell u to get the apexi or greddy there more money but they dont lie i had autometers in my car and when i got the apexi boost gauge it red 2 more psi and didnt know i was running that, so i went ahead and just got all greddy.

and agian im sure many people have diffrent things that are good and im sure they are so dont jump on me im just saying what i think

I guess what we are trying to do is save you some money that could get you asgood, if not better products. Somemore research into these different shops will yield you significant help in your pursuit in a 450hp DSM. Most of the internet wholesalers have been in the industry for years and have either developed thier own products or improved existing for a cheaper price.

Originally posted by Derek2003
i'll be getting a 2g talon TSI AWD or Eclipse GSX in a few months and i'm planning the parts and cost for my project. i'll be getting most of the parts from http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/index.html. i'm going to get teh FP Green turbo, Greddy FMIC, HKS Carbon TI or Dunk exhaust, with Apex'i S'AFC and Apex'i AVC R Boost controller. i'll be upgrading to the 255lph Walbro Fuel pump, with 750cc injectors, and new fuel rail. i'll also be getting the 2.2L JUN stroker kit. An ACT 2600 pressure plate clutch, short throw shifter, port/polished intake and exhaust manifolds. also planning on blueprinting the engine.

now, is there anything i'm missing to reach my goal of ~450hp+? i've got a feeling there is something.

any help is appreciated. thanks.
Derek... I'm not quite sure if you mean 450whp or 450 crank hp but with the above mods that you mentioned a FP Green should be very adequate in obtaining a goal of 450 crank hp. 450whp is another story, but possible on race gas with the right supporting mods and some GREAT tuning. I'm pretty sure you can get more than 96 octane where you live in Greer SC, because I was down there awhile back from where I live up here in Asheville NC, and picked up some 114 race gas at one of the small convenience stores going torwards gaffney. Now I can get Sunoco 110 finally up here. But anyways... I personally wouldn't bother with the 2.2 JUN stroker kit because the FP Green can achieve 450 crank hp without it, therefore you would be saving yourself some money that you can put torwards other things like supporting mods. You can also get the FP Green internally gated as an option instead of externally gated for a little bit more money, just check out FP's website, they had a good deal on the internally gated Green for around $1300 bucks awhile back. The FP Green is a well proven turbo, not to knock AGP or any other turbo vendor, but if you go to the times list over at dsm.org you will see how many of the fastest guy's out there that are running FP turbos, and or products. I plan on going to a FP Green on down the road but until then I'm going to try and extract as much power as I possibly can out of the FP Big28 that I have now. Good luck!!

SPEEDY, midnght, and klipzedgsx, thank you very much for the helpful response. that was the kinda thing i was looking to get when i posted this thread. anyways, i've heard lots of people on this board saying real good things about RNR exhausts and i have thought about using them cuz of their cheeper price and the good stuff i've heard about them.

thanks for the heads up on guages klipzedgsx. i've heard good things about the Blitz guages and was thinking about using those even though they are pretty expensive.

hopefully i'll reach my goal sooner then later but its hard to say right now.

SPEEDY, midnght, and klipzedgsx, thank you very much for the helpful response. that was the kinda thing i was looking to get when i posted this thread. anyways, i've heard lots of people on this board saying real good things about RNR exhausts and i have thought about using them cuz of their cheeper price and the good stuff i've heard about them.

thanks for the heads up on guages klipzedgsx. i've heard good things about the Blitz guages and was thinking about using those even though they are pretty expensive.

NP! You will meet your goal, it justs takes a little time and patience, and above all money.

i hear ya guys about the money thing. i'll be joining the Marines soon and i'm hoping to get a signing bonus to help me buy the car and get some mods started on it.

I use the greddy gauge (EGT/peakwarning) and it does what it is supposed to do. I also heard the same thing about RnR!

i hear ya guys about the money thing. i'll be joining the Marines soon and i'm hoping to get a signing bonus to help me buy the car and get some mods started on it.

I got out of the marine corps in 2000. It is truely an experience. No matter what anyone tells you. If you want to stay close to home (Camp Lejuene) then make sure you get garented stationing. If you got any questions just pm me and I will answer them all.:thumb:

if i wanted a honduh i'd have bought one, but what do you know... i don't own one cuz they're crap. if someone had NICELY said to me in the beginning where i've gone wrong in teh list, this thread wouldn't have gotten ugly. since everyone is quick to flame, this thread is now worthless.

People aren't flaming you, they are pointing out things that you need to reconsider. How many 450hp DSMs have you built so far? How many DSMs period have you built? Theres a lot more experience just on this list, than what you have. People are trying to point you in the right direction. If you are going to think that every post telling you to check alternatives is a flame, you aren't going to get much in the way of information, since anything that you don't agree with you are going to call a flame. I hope you don't carry that type of attitude to boot camp, the instructors there will LOVE that.

As far as gauges you are asking about, you need to figure out what sort of engine management you are going with. If you get a good setup, you don't really need much in the way of expensive gauges for tuning, all of it will be done via dataloggers.

Given your knowledge about these cars, the very basic questions you are asking, and the very obvious fact that you havent done much reading on these subjects, this should not be in the advanced section, but the general/newbie section.

Brad

Haha.....noobs. :rolleyes: It sounds like your excited that you're getting a DSM and you've been reading some internet forums about them. Now you have this goal and started a big list of mods you want to buy. Try not to get too far ahead of yourself. First off, before you start asking questions like this, get the car first. Then start working on it and if you have questions about stuff your dealing with ask about it on the forums. You'll start understanding what it takes to make some power and before you know it you'll be answering questions instead of asking them. Good luck.:thumb:

I agree with turbowop, even though I havent read the whole thread:laugh:

However thats not very likely;)

Austin

just wait till all your name brand $money$ goes to replacing a seperated crank pulley, or a new ISC, or a new pistons after you detonate cause of your green/150 shot of NAWWWS due to lack of tuning capability on that mad tyte S-AFC you have mounted in your visor :cool:

everyone on this board (excluding a couple p*ssies here and there) wants a 450hp DSM.... few, very few, have one. talk is cheap, building a 450hp DSM isn't.

good luck

Wowzers. People really need to take it down a notch. We're all into the same thing guys; no reason to get so pissy over it. ;)

BTW; didn't JUN go out of business? I could have sworn they closed shop a few months back.

Derek:
Listen man. I've had a DSM for a year now. A lot of people on the board have had one even longer. Most of us have been under the hood, spent 4+ hours on the DSM Digest, read through forum after forum, have dreamt about this turbo and that turbo, and have even emailed and called certain shops about what they know.

My point is this: You should really listen instead of tell. When you say "I want $1k JUN Pistons!" and we say "That's a waste of money" chances are we are right. Taken the road less traveled is a great thing and feel free to try it.

But I *know* the $495 JE 8.5:1 forged pistons will get what I want (400ish HP) I *know* the Crower rods are good for that. I've seen the numbers on the .63 A/R trim T3/T4 hybrids and the differences between Slowboys, AGPs, and all the other Ball-Bearing-optioned turbos. This stuff works and will get you your goal. Are you really willing to spend more money for stuff that nobody runs? Don't bother calling up Bushur/RRE/EM about those strange JUN-only parts since they don't carry them.

Lol, and are you going to call JUN up? I hope you're affluent in japanese.

Just something to mull around while you wait for your DSM. For now I'm going to go work on the one I actually own. :)

Originally posted by Oreopride18
bother calling up Bushur/RRE/EM about those strange JUN-only parts since they don't carry them.

You dont have to worry about that. He knows what it takes to get his goal and those companies he has never heard of will no be of any use to him...:rolleyes:

i'll be getting a 2g talon TSI AWD or Eclipse GSX in a few months and i'm planning the parts and cost for my project. i'll be getting most of the parts from http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/index.html. i'm going to get teh FP Green turbo, Greddy FMIC, HKS Carbon TI or Dunk exhaust, with Apex'i S'AFC and Apex'i AVC R Boost controller. i'll be upgrading to the 255lph Walbro Fuel pump, with 750cc injectors, and new fuel rail. i'll also be getting the 2.2L JUN stroker kit. An ACT 2600 pressure plate clutch, short throw shifter, port/polished intake and exhaust manifolds. also planning on blueprinting the engine.

now, is there anything i'm missing to reach my goal of ~450hp+? i've got a feeling there is something.

any help is appreciated. thanks.

The 'Green' is a good choice.
Pass on the Greddy FMIC
Don't waste your money on HKS or Dunk Exhaust.
Skip the AFC and get DSM Link
If you want a electronic boost controller get a Greddy Profec B
if you want a reliable boost controller for chep get a Hallman
get the Walbro 255lph High Pressure Pump
I have talked to JUN in Japan about the Stroker Kit and this is what was said:

Dear Mr. Jason Forsell,

Thank you for your reply and information.

Since JUN USA has closed down, we are dealing with the customer
in the US directly from JUN Auto Japan. You can order by FAX and
purchase our products directly from Japan.

Or you can get our products from tuning shop or distributor in
the USA area. However we currently do not have any authorized
dealers in the USA area.

Regrettably we can not refer a specific tuning shop or
distributor..... However we think that you can find tuning shop
or distributor by internet.

Here is the reference for you.
[#1001M-M001]Super piston kit(85.5mm) is JPY140,000yen.
[#1002M-M001]Super connecting rod is JPY132,000yen.
[#1029M-M001]Stroker kit 2.2L is JPY650,000yen.
(a price do not include shipping cost)
Shipping cost is changed by amount of order.

The exchange rate for today is US$1.00/JPY119.45 You can get
USD amount by dividing the total Yen price with JPY119.45.

Regards,

Toshiyuki Takahashi
JUN Machine shop
TANAKA INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD.
PHONE +81-3-3920-4165 / FAX +81-3-3920-4176
http://www.junauto.co.jp/

In case your current math skills are poor:
Super Piston Kit $1172.04
Super Connecting rod $1105.06
Stroker kit $5441.60

Now spending $5400.00 on a rotating assembly is fricking crazy. You would still have a 7-bolt, and with your 2600lbs. ACT you woul get crankwalk.
Get a magnus 2.4L stroker 6-bolt!
then bolt a Buschur Satge 3 Head on top.

Originally posted by Oreopride18
But I *know* the $495 JE 8.5:1 forged pistons will get what I want (400ish HP) I *know* the Crower rods are good for that.

and i *know* you can save a good $500 and get the wiseco/eagle combo and run the same power ;) then again so has the 95piston/91big rod combo... my experience with the W/E combo has been great thus far.

there is an article on VFAQ called "101 ways to kill an engine" that talks about the problems using JE's on the street if you want to check it out

just a word of advise if u are gonna use a act2600 clutch u better have the money to replace that motor because chances are its gonna crankwalk. if i were you i would get a high mileage or crankwalked 2g dsm then put a 6bolt in it. it would save u some money in the on the car. just my .02

after reading the last few posts i've realized that i'm wrong in flaming the people that know what they're doing. i'm offering an offical appology to those people, i'm just over anxious to get this project going. thanks to the people who are trying to help by offering their info on the stuff that works.

I don't know why people rag on the GReddy big fmic so much but it's not that bad. Yes it does have longer piping, and the piping routes in front of the fmic, I do know that. But it works damn good for me, and has for others. I have no problems with mine at all, and it cools the charge air very good, and I only get about a 1.5 psi of pressure drop in which your going to get with most big fmic's anyway. I bought my Big GReddy from a person on these forums that made 380whp with it, along with his L2R. That is right at the 450 crank hp mark, so the Big GReddy fmic can, and has supported a shit load of power. I will give you a hint who he is. He just totalled his GSX awhile back and he's a moderator on here. I know it's not the best fmic out there, but when you can get a good deal on one it will work just fine atleast up to 450 crank hp. I know that for sure.

i agree strongly with italipalm about the 2600 clutch and putting a 6bolt motor in, i held off getting the 2600 clutch intill i did the swap and sooner did i know i got crank walk 2 weeks after i got the car, but now i have a 6 bolt with a 2600 clutch and damn just use the hell out of it, u could get it and put it on the 7 but the chances of getting crank walk are better but if that happens just put a 6, Quotes from me " if something screws up just replace it with something better ( 7 to 6) and dont sit and b**** about it because with our dsm our cars will sit in the garage a good amount of the time anyways"

JDM

=

Justify Da Markup.

I don't give a crap about what terminolgy surrounds the parts. What is it? Is it really better? Can I just put even better aftermarket parts on a US spec for the same as a "JDM".

Suggestions for 450hp....

Get some good tools

DSM backup manual CD

2g AWD MT with a walked motor.

A 1g 6 bolt block and head to rebuild.

Don't get a stroker. If all you want is 450 you don't need one.

Getting the same internal component quality in a stroker will cost more.

Get mid level, turbo, cams etc.

Spread matched mods across the whole vehicle and don't get to carried away in one place.

Super Piston Kit $1172.04
Super Connecting rod $1105.06
Stroker kit $5441.60

Fock that!!!!!!!!!!

Now spending $5400.00 on a rotating assembly is fricking crazy. You would still have a 7-bolt, and with your 2600lbs. ACT you woul get crankwalk.
Get a magnus 2.4L stroker 6-bolt!
then bolt a Buschur Satge 3 Head on top.

Man I would love to have the magnus stroker and bushur head!!!!!!!!!

Forget the names, go with proven products.
-Mike

hyundai 4gcs block 2.4 liter

6-bolt.. Just add a 1g head, 1g squirters, pauters and ross pistons. :thumb:

I got a little sumthin sumthin under a tarp in my garage that will be meaner but....

For now I want to see how far I can push a mostly factory 6-bolt with good engine management and tuning.

You know like the guys who beat some poeples 18g'd car with small a 16g. I'll have bigger turbo. But people will be like "whats in that block and it has'nt blown" . After a shakedown season on that I'll put my "baby" in :D

Originally posted by MNGSX
hyundai 4gcs block 2.4 liter

6-bolt.. Just add a 1g head, 1g squirters, pauters and ross pistons. :thumb:

I got a little sumthin sumthin under a tarp in my garage that will be meaner but....

For now I want to see how far I can push a mostly factory 6-bolt with good engine management and tuning.

You know like the guys who beat some poeples 18g'd car with small a 16g. I'll have bigger turbo. But people will be like "whats in that block and it has'nt blown" . After a shakedown season on that I'll put my "baby" in :D

sounds good man, can't wait to see the results.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back