The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Suggestions for Motor swap...help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candela

20+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2002
Austin, Arizona
Im going to be swapping my motor for a more fresh one next weekend, and need advice. What do you guys think would be worth doing while the motor is out. The motor has a new timing belt/water pump already. I was thinking of getting a balance shaft elim kit, and maybe some urethane mounts or inserts. The stock mounts arent in too great a shape, so what do you think would be better/cheaper...go complete mount replacement with polyurethan or just get inserts.

Do you guys really think the balance shaft kit is worth the time? I could care less about a little vibration or noises, so long as its worth it. I now its cheap and what it does, but isnt it pretty hard/time consuming to do even with the motor out? Any other suggestions as to what else I should do while its out?

It's a piece of cake to do the BS removal with the motor out of the car. Do it, it's worth it.

change all of the belts, usual tune up replacement parts, new oil lines, port work (a lot easier to extract broken studs when engine is out), any kind of cleaning/painting of engine components/pieces (i know, i know), poly mounts(worth it), definitely the bs removal kit(also worth it).

i believe the Mirage stub shaft can be used as a cheap balance shaft elim. solution.

I'd to w/ the motor mount inserts, but if the mounts are TOTALLY trashed, then I'd just go full replacement. Can also try windo-weld for em too.

I got it all today and just finished the bs removal. It was cake with the motor out! Im going to order some poly inserts tomorrow, you guys know anywhere cheap/quality? None of the studs in the head broke off!!! It seems Ive had great luck casue Ive removed the manny several time now on 2 different motors and never had a problem...gues Im lucky!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back