The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Stronger oil pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullbren17

Proven Member
Nov 29, 2012
Chadron, Nebraska
Do I need a stronger oil pump if I put twin turbo on it? And I had a mechanic tell me I'm starving my cams.

Doubtful you are starving the cams.

Where are you feeding the turbos from? the head or the OFH?

Have you done a BSE?

UNREALISTIC is a nice way to put it.. sounds like he has some mechanics with the same level of expertise as himself.

Your not starving the cams unless you have crap in the oil passages which means you have other issues.
We dont have an oiling issue.. the ONLY oil type issue we have is there's too much oil in the head.. opposite of what your "mechanic" says.. that and the pan oil control (or lack there of).

Any idea what your oil pressure is? Any shiny bits of metal in the pan or filter? whats this guys "smoking gun" to prove ## cams are starved..

Please answer the question or don't post guys. I had to delete a few posts...

Thats ABOVE normal. Idle Oil pressure is typically, 15-25 PSI once warm. IF you were starving, You would have low pressure.

Every time I start my motor up its cold but so,etchings wrong with electrical so it wolnt start

What?

Oil pressure will be high on a cold start, and will wind down to 15-20Psi once warm.. whats your warm Oil PSI?

Ha no when I read it it said 28 on warm. But I ment it wolnt start now because I think my ecu blew.

yet.. you want to TT your motor? LOL.

I doubt your ecu blew..Did you check to see if you were getting fuel and spark (Rhetorical question, I already know you didn't... so try that before jumping to wild conclusions....)

Im also going to guess this is a Glowshift fuel pressure gauge..?

Lets start with this. What oil pump are you actually running right now? We couldnt tell you an answer until we know what you have.

Also, are you sure you want to TwinTurbo this.... Im pretty sure you dont....

It's just a question for future refrence I heard that you can starve your cams from a turbo, so I was thinking if u have win turbo would u starve the cams which I was thinking maybe the cams don't have enough oil because of a bad lifter tick, and knocking noises in my motori think when it comes to it I will probably twin turbo it.

It's just a question for future refrence I heard that you can starve your cams from a turbo, so I was thinking if u have win turbo would u starve the cams which I was thinking maybe the cams don't have enough oil because of a bad lifter tick, and knocking noises in my motori think when it comes to it I will probably twin turbo it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^LOL epic.. Ill gladly give props if this kid successfully does a TT 420a and it makes decent power.. but he wont. so ill keep my props.

So how about you tell us your plan on how your going to TT your car. I know we're all dying to know! :rolleyes:

Well for one I asked hypothetical question. I have a turbo on it and I'm sure you can twin turbo a 420a I'm sure it's been done. So if your going to be a stupid dick and mock me other than help me don't say anything. But a turbo or twin wolnt starv my cams of oil?

I wouldn't get hasty and call someone else stupid just yet.. lets have my following questions determine whos stupid and why, shall we? We'll save the oiling discussion for later.

You are talking about twin turbos.. as in symmetric, parallel turbines/compressors?

On a low displacement inline 4?

Why are you sure its been done on a 420A, have you actually researched this?

What advantages do you propose that two turbos would have in this application over a large single unit?

What disadvantages could there be inherent to the operation of an inline 4 cylinder with two turbochargers, neglecting packaging/plumbing issues?

If you can't objectively answer those questions (as I suspect is the case) you might see why you are being mocked.

Well if you would explain something into detail and explain to my why a twin turbo would not work it is a thought not a plan. Mocking me is low the only idea I have about a turbo is that one turbo makes boost that puts more air in the combustion chamber, with more air there is more fuel and makes the motor function stronger and faster. So my concept is more air is more power is this the wrong idea?

Please go through my questions, if you have to use the search feature to answer them, it will accomplish more than me simply telling you.

One big hint on why two turbos in your application is a recipe for failure/disappointment.. remember you are using impulses to drive the turbines, which turn the compressors and create that airflow/boost.

You only have 4 of these every 720* of crank rotation, use them wisely.

What was it that lead you towards the conclusion that two turbos would be better than one single of equal airflow capacity?

It's the thought process I'm interested in, more than anything. You will find that introspection to your advantage down the road.

So have a turbo alone on a 420a isn't that great either? And I just want to know if the turbo can ruin my oil pressure in my head

^^^^ LOL!

I was in no way mocking, I simply just want to know your plan of attack is LOL. Also forgive me if I'm skeptical, just the fact we have had a conversation in your journal entries about even getting your car running. I understand this could be related to your oil pressure, but you can't even get the thing running enough to tell us enough information that we need to answer your damn question.

Also to answer your oil pump question, it will mainly depend on your horsepower goal..

I don't know, I'll stay out of your hair but know that NO ONE has successfully "twin turbocharged" a 420a. But what do I know right :)

Look kid.. you have done exactly 0 research.. I suggest you start.. Id first try to come up with a REASONABLE hp or track goal based on the amount of funds you can spend (not wish you can spend). All good builds start with this. then once you have a realistic, obtainable goal (ie you have the funds), then you can research the forums, and look at people who have built and boosted these motors to try and understand the "why" of the parts we chose. You have to understand.. we see this "im gunna twin charge the motor" crap about every month or more.. It never happens because its just not a good idea. Yes more power is better, but its a bell curve.. too much power and everything will fail. not to mention all the logistics mentioned above.. you ave alot to learn. Just because you have a turbo on your 420a , doesnt mean anything, odds are.. you bought it that way. and the fact that you want to go faster tells me that your setup sucks, because theres plenty of us single tubro folks that make great power and good times.. you dont see us out rushing to twin..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back