The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Stripped hole for throttle body bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93RS

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2011
Brandon, South_Dakota
Title pretty much says it all, replaced the tb shaft seals and when putting the th back on the top right corner bolt hole stripped out..... I ground down the plate on the front of the elbow and tb so I could grab morr thread but I'm still leaking there any ideas?????

See if you can find a 9x1.25 bolt and tap, you would be able to run the tap thru the hole without drilling and it would cut nice threads. I haven't ever looked for a bolt of that size so i don't know how hard it would be to find. Your other options are to increase it to a 10x1.25 and drill out the hole on the throttle body and elbow or to use a helicoil or timesert.

I had the same problem, 2 of the corners of mine stripped out. I just got longer bolts with a head on em, put it through and put a nut on the other end to tighten it. Works even better and no grinding, drilling or tapping needed.

I second the Heli-Coil notion, you can get the kit that comes with the tap, a few coils and the insert tool for about 20 bucks at most automotive parts stores (O'reilly's always has them in the back) but you only need to provide a drill bit, drill and a tap wrench to finish off the job and the threads will be stronger and last longer than the OEM holes/threads could dream of. In highly inspected/maintaned areas on aluminum pieces I tend to heli-coil as many of the holes as i can when/if i have the part off to do one hole repair. One area i think the 4g63 really benefits from some heli-coils is the valve cover bolts. Of all the engines i've had, or heads i should say, seems all of them had at least one VC hole that was stripped requiring a coil, so i do them all and save the future PITA, as well as risking any chance of metal shavings gettingin the engine if you have to do them after the head is installed

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back