The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Stripped Cam Cap Bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1FastFWD

Probationary Member
Oct 31, 2004
wichita, Kansas
I was installing mt ffwd cams in my head yesterday and all the bolts went in really easy. well the rockers were really loose so i was taking them back out to install the shims and i was taking out one of the middle cam caps on the intake side and when i got the bolt out it was stripped and the threads are trashed. after i did that i felt dumb because i found out i could take the lifters out without taking the cams back out....so my question is what can i do to fix the stripped out hole???

You can easyly repair that with a Heli coil kit from any good parts store. Take the orignal bolt with you so they can match up the thread pitch and size so you can use the same bolt.
They cost about 10 bucks.
You will have to drill the hole out a little bigger with the bit that comes in the kit and as well as the special tap and coil thread and tool.
Keep an eye on all the aluminum shavings coming out of the hole. Use towels to keep the shavings out of the head and use a shop vac to clean the hole out.

1FastFWD said:
I was installing mt ffwd cams in my head yesterday and all the bolts went in really easy. well the rockers were really loose so i was taking them back out to install the shims

How is that possible? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything but it seems impossible unless the cams weren't even making contact with the rockers, which would mean no force is being applied to the valvesprings at all. What shims are you referring to?

they were loose because they are regrinds, I had to use shims on my dks2`s as well.

1fast97gsx said:
How is that possible? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything but it seems impossible unless the cams weren't even making contact with the rockers, which would mean no force is being applied to the valvesprings at all. What shims are you referring to?

I have the DKS2's and they are regrinds...ffwd connection sent me a bag of shims to place under the lifters.

oh I see, that makes sense then. Why not just take the cam cap off, drill the hole to the next size larger and use a larger thread bolt in it. There's plenty of material there to do that and as long as no shavings get into anything you'll be fine. You will need a larger dowel pin most likely too then, but that seems like the easiest way to do it.

1fast97gsx said:
oh I see, that makes sense then. Why not just take the cam cap off, drill the hole to the next size larger and use a larger thread bolt in it. There's plenty of material there to do that and as long as no shavings get into anything you'll be fine. You will need a larger dowel pin most likely too then, but that seems like the easiest way to do it.

Helicoil is the way to go, however there is a little peice that sticks out around the hole that the cam fits over, kind of like a dowl pin with a hole for the bolt. It holds the cam cap in place. You are going to have to carfully remove that peice to drill the hole for helicoiling it. Make sure that you do not damage the peice. After you drill the hole and helicoil it you are going to want to put the dowel back in place so that the cam cap lines up correctly. Torque it down, and you should be ready to go . good luck

bryanwheat said:
Helicoil is the way to go, however there is a little peice that sticks out around the hole that the cam fits over, kind of like a dowl pin with a hole for the bolt. It holds the cam cap in place. You are going to have to carfully remove that peice to drill the hole for helicoiling it. Make sure that you do not damage the peice. After you drill the hole and helicoil it you are going to want to put the dowel back in place so that the cam cap lines up correctly. Torque it down, and you should be ready to go . good luck

so im assuming that the dowel just pulls out??

I dont think the dowel pin will be a problem you may end up damaging it trying to remove it.

ok so i just trashed the dowel trying to get it out....where can i find a new one to use???

Any engine reco joints should have old stuffed heads you can steal one from! before you try and pull out another find a piece of rod that fits neatly into the dowel so you dont crush it when you grab it!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back