The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

stock 2.4 crank/flywheel requires shimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etowaru

Probationary Member
Dec 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I just learned this week that a stock 4g64 crank with a stock 4g64 flywheel and spacers, requires shimming, at lease in my case where I have a clutch masters fx400 with hd pp. I ended up using a .050" (1.27mm) flywheel shim and put 2.5mm shim behind the pivot ball. Without the shims, I was having an issue with the release cylinder overextended and couldn't add pressure to the pp. The clutch fork was way out of range. I feel like I had to shim a lot, and I will update if I have any issues while driving, but my clutch fork is now in operating range for the release cylinder. This is my first time using a clutch masters kit and I checked the dimensions of the tob and it checked out. I didnt check the pp. As far as I know, a stock pp should be the same for a 63 and 64. Anyways, I was stuck on this for months and after all the research this is what I did and hopefully this helps someone.

Edit: I made sure to use the starter plate, and the spacers, or flywheel adapter plates as mitubishi called them.
The inner(between crank and flywheel) spacer is part number MD754228
Outer spacer is MD760086
Flyweel bolts(7) MD368638 as these are the shorter 15.5mm length
In hind sight, I should have gotten the flyhweel hub milled off the crank and I could have stuck with 4g63 flywheel as there are no performance flywheel for the stock 64 crank.

2.4 crank clutch issue
2.3 clutch issue
stroker clutch issue
4g64 crank clutch issue
clutch masters fx400 issue

Last edited:
does the car have the starter plate? What is the flywheel step? Did you adjust the master at the pedal?
I ask because I'm wondering if you fixed the problem by applying a band aid elsewhere?
Unless something else was wrong the fork pivot should not have required a shim.

Yes, I have the starter plate. I tried adjusting the pedal first. I did not expect that I would have to shim anything however that was not the case. I used RRE as my main resource. Step height is .609 and is a new LUK flywheel for a 4g64. Measuring the clutch fork position, it was way beyond operating range for the release cylinder. I had to shim to get it back into operating range. Before shimming, the release cylinder was extended all the way and could not actuate. I believe it has to do with the way the 4g64 flywheel mounts to the crank. Its a sheet of steel with the fiction plate bolted to it instead of being one cast piece like the 63 flywheel is. Hindsight, I should have had that flywheel hub machined off the crank and I could have went with a 63 flywheel. I assumed using the required spacers for the 64 setup would put it back in range but shimming was required. All in all, i was being cheap and used a stock 64 crank that brought up challenges not documented anywhere. If you have any differing insight, please feel free to share. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back