The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Still leaking coolant(long story, be prepared to read)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimF

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2011
Aurora, Illinois
I posted about this before but seems to get worse.So 2 days ago Sitting at a gas station in park my engine stated throwing up fluid. quikly turned the engine off and let it sit for a while and turned it on a bit later to see a small line shooting a steady stream of coolant out. The next day (yesterday) I took everything about to get to that little damn line took some sealing tape we sell at work (hold 100psi and withstands a few hundred degree's) and wraped it to hell. I know this is not a premanant fix but it hold for now. I put everything back in, started her up and let her run, like I said the tape held, Let the engine warm up, so far so good. Decided to give some gas, then it got bad. At about
3k rpm my lower hose spits out fluid. So I turned the car of, Popped the hood and went back in. Remover the hose to see its all warped and swollen. Well I went to 3 diffrent auto part stores in my area and none of them had the hose on hand. So I placed one on order to arraive the next day at 11 a.m. (which it didnt but that a whole nother story) Well at about 4p.m when my hose arrived I went back and installed it with new clamps. Has a nice snug fit. Started her up again, let her warm, and reved again. At about 3k rpm it started spitting fluid out from were the lower hose goes into the engine(same place as before) So I let of the gas and the coolant stop pouring out. Did it again, hit 3 to 4k rpm, and nothing happned. So I reved again, Nothing happned. After that I took a drive to the gas station. Pulled up and looked under her again and now it was leaking on the opposite side of radiator away fromt the hose?????. Turned the car off to gas it, tuned it on and drove to the store to get oil change supplys, still leaking a little when we pulled up. Came out and it was not leaking and drove it home, and checked again. No leaking still. I dont know what is up with it or why it is leaking like this? Could anyone have some ideas?

well I went out today and got some new lines. Took of the leaking one that I taped up, and replaced the one next to it. Ran my car and there is no longer gushing, but I still have a small trickle. Also my car periodically over heats a little bit, even though I just put in fresh coolant.

It only goes up when Im low on coolant. My fans stopped working a while back, so I run coolant and some water wetter and it hold temp fine as long as my coolant level is up. Although My resivior will fill, but never drain back into my system, and sometimes it steams from my radiator cap. IDK what is up with it.

I would replace that radiator cap. If you cant build some pressure (due to the leaky cap) then the coolant system is not working optimally. Also pressure testing the system is also a good idea, it will give you more info to work with.

it does build pressure, I squeeze the hose and its tight, where would you pick up a new cap? I am starting to believe that I have a small HG leak, cause when I initially turn my car on there is allot of white smoke, but when it warm up it goes away. I’m thinking there is a small leak, but when the gaskets heats and expands it seals better, Also for some reason yesterday, I could not keep my car alive after turning it on. It started fine in the morning, warmed it, drove to school, did class, started and drove her home fine (30 min each way). But when I got home and got ready for worked, I went to turn it on, and it started hard, then the rpms dropped way down and the engine was shaking and it died. It did this 3 times for it just idled real low and vibrated, and slowly got better. I drove it to work, and after work about 7 hours later I started her, and she turned right on no problem. So I don’t know what is up with that? I want to get a compression test done, but I usually work a really tight school, work schedule and I don’t get out of work until 11ish and got to be up for school the next day.

BTW I replaced all my hoses since then, lower and uper ones and the little ones comming out of my thermostate

I think AutoZone sells a 16psi cap, which I had and it leaked on me. I got a 20psi cap now and no leaks, but you might have to order that online since those auto parts stores don't carry them. If you have a performance shop around you they might have some in stock.

Def sounds like it could be a headgasket. If you're going to tear into it, might not be a bad idea to check the waterpump too.

my water pump was changed no more than 6 months ago with my timming belt, I got a complete job. I dont see why it would be bad already, I had it done at a DSM specialty shop and they ordered all the parts oem.

but I did plan on changing my HG in the summer when I dont need my car to drive 30min to school, and I can bike to work everyday. I was also going to get my head redone to, since im taking it off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back