The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Starting problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota Biddinger

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2017
Juneau, Alaska
Replaced the engine in my 95 talon tsi, and have yet to get it to start fully. Today when I was cranking it, it started for like 5 seconds and idled then died. Now when I try to start it I can hear cylinders firing but. It won't fully turn on. It'll crank for a couple seconds then it will sputter but won't turn on. Any help would be great.

Sounds like a bad PTU. Need to check for spark, a spark tester is about 5 bux at any parts store, or you can pull plugs and ground to intake manifold (any bear metal should work) while cranking to check. If spark is weak (orange or yellow is weak, bright blue, just like lightning is good) I suspect the coil pack may be shot. It's possible your crank sensor is bad, damaged or unhooked, but I don't recall if 95s have a CKP or not, in which case it could also be a bad CAS.

From your description, fuel doesn't seem to be the issue.

Sounds like a bad PTU. Need to check for spark, a spark tester is about 5 bux at any parts store, or you can pull plugs and ground to intake manifold (any bear metal should work) while cranking to check. If spark is weak (orange or yellow is weak, bright blue, just like lightning is good) I suspect the coil pack may be shot. It's possible your crank sensor is bad, damaged or unhooked, but I don't recall if 95s have a CKP or not, in which case it could also be a bad CAS.

From your description, fuel doesn't seem to be the issue.
I did buy the coil pack off of eBay, but the guy had 100% positive reviews so I'm not sure. I'll go to oriellys and get a spark tester in a few and test them. And it's a 1g engine

So I tested the spark and it seems to be good, I could be wrong though. On the one spark plug that was dry when I first checked, is still dry even though I tried starting it again. I smelled the spark plugs and I couldn't smell any scent of gas on it. Does that mean that fuel injector is clogged or something?

in that case it could be : ecu, filters, injectors, wiring.... are next thing to check

get a noid light and see if injectors are firing

could have pinched a wire putting engine in--double check that all the sensors are plugged in and connected properly---it is easy to damage a sensor re-installing an engine

in that case it could be : ecu, filters, injectors, wiring.... are next thing to check

get a noid light and see if injectors are firing

could have pinched a wire putting engine in--double check that all the sensors are plugged in and connected properly---it is easy to damage a sensor re-installing an engine
I'll have to get a noid light from my friend but I'll test the injectors once I do. I should be able to get It in a day or two.

Mine will not run well if at all when my cas is 180 off starting then turning off but yes it should acivate the injectors. It only takes 2 minutes to check the cas sensor for proper alignment.

if they were stuck partially open you would be flooding the car all the time

and i just read u tested only one spark plug wire/ u need to test all--just like injectors all will need to be checked

Last edited:
if they were stuck partially open you would be flooding the car all the time

and i just read u tested olnly one spark plug wire/ u need to test all--just like injectors all will need to be checked
So I have a little two prong voltage tester, do I just poke one end into the injector wire then touch the ground to metal and have somebody crank it ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back