The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Starter not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2020
Watertown, Wisconsin
Hello my fellow dsm addicts!

I am currently rebuilding my first dsm and I am very close to attempting to start it for the first time. I recently plugged in a battery to make sure all my connections are good and all the cabin accessories work and head/tail lights. I wanted to turn the motor over so I could make sure it would, in fact, turn over. When I turn the key all the way to engage to starter, the starter does not turn on at all. The clutch pedal is in (master cylinder isn't bled) and trans is in neutral but still no luck. I can hear a relay clicking from inside the car which makes me feel the battery is trash, but even plugged in, the starter refuses to engage. There is no fuel pump/tank on the car right now but I don't know why that would effect anything. Also the engine only has a quart of oil (enough to just test the starter for a brief second) and the oil temp wire is not hooked up. All connections within the engine bay look good. What am I doing wrong?

Did you check the starter relay?

Before diving into the relay, start by verifying you have the starter wires in the engine bay connected. There is a connection between the positive terminal of the battery harness and the starter trigger wire that people tend to forget to plug back in. It’s a black with yellow stripe wire that runs to a 2 pin connector, it’s counterpart in the main harness terminates near the coolant temp sensor.

Once you verify that is connected, one thing you need to keep in mind is that the starter relay activates to DISABLE the starter solenoid on a M/T, if it’s clicking it could be a bad relay, however it could also be a bad clutch safety switch.

Unplug the clutch safety switch and try to start it. If the clicking persists, the next step is to bypass the starter relay (located behind the radio, easiest way to access it is to pull the passenger side kick panel). Simply jump one of the Black/Red wires to the Black/Yellow wire. If the car starts, you have a bad relay.

Aight so since I am a dumb boi, I forgot to plug the small two plug black wire in..........works now :D
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing 3 weeks ago.. that's why I had all of the diagnostic steps ready to go for you. My issue was a little more in depth, but the first issue I found was that connection.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back