The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Slow Spool Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panchoelkatch

Proven Member
Jun 4, 2014
Lemoore, California
I've already checked all the above and everything was in line except a "Mystery boost leak" that I could hear coming from the crankcase and escaping through valve cover. First I thought, well its most likely the turbo seals, so I rebuilt the turbo to the best of my capabilities (No prior rebuild knowledge) and threw the sucker back on only to find that it was just as slow at spooling up. The turbo is an Old school FP red so basically a TD06 housing with 60-1 Comp wheel trimmed turbine, taller tip height etc. It theoretically should be a slow spooler, but I'm talking extremely slow spool.

I've rebuilt throttle body, injector seals, sent out my smim to get rewelded, have thoroughly checked all IC piping and no visible leaks. When I boost leak test I can literally hear the oil gurgling and my dipstick will come out, if I Plug up the VC ports, it literally feels like 20 PSI is going to the valve cover.Compression is 150 across. No smoke

I'll attach a log that shows a 3rd Gear Pull on 91 Pump gas

2nd Log Is an 11.9 Pass on 112 Octane leaded at the drag strip, just to show you the weak boost curve. I Just realized I was maxing the turbo out, probably should have kept it at 25 lbs.

I believe this setup has low 11's in it if I can get it to run right.

Attachments

• 3rd Gear to RL.elg
    20.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Last Run Famoso.elg
    17.2 KB · Views: 50
The oil gurgling is normal to a certain degree. Couple things contribute to this, valve guides and or seals could be letting a bit of boost out into your CC or piston rings have some blow by and thats letting boost into your CC. Just an FYI, my head has a brand new valve job, guides and seals, also my bottom end is fresh and I still get a bit of boost leaking into my CC. Nothing like I've seen before but still there's a bit.

I'm at work and can't read logs at what RPM are you hitting full boost?

Last edited:
Yeah thats not cool, my Fp3788 is way quicker then that. I'm leaning towards the turbo being the culprit if you're confident the exhaust is good. I'd send it to Fp for a full inspection and health report.

Your wastegate might be opening early or not sealing, make sure there's no issues going on there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back