1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Slow acceleration at Low RPM's

Posted by mattp_65, Sep 29, 2014

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. mattp_65

mattp_65 Proven Member

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Lake Stevens, Washington
    I recently picked up a bone stock 1G AWD auto.
    It needed some head work but got all of that worked out and its running now. Changed all fluids from oil to the Rear diff.
    Auto trans fluid is changed with B&M and put in a new OEM trans filter.
    Since I have never driven a stock 1G that is auto and having a semi-built 2g 5speed. Of course the power range is night and day.
    So on the 1G I have everything stock except for ARP head bolts and 14B turbo.
    So from 1k to about 2.5k I have absolutely no power (I think compared to my 2g) but after that it picks up and drives like normal.
    At cruising its fine and if I floor it, it will downshift and pick up speed, but coming from a dead stop and going again it takes some time. Maybe its just me but does not feel right.
    I know the stock boost gauge is crap but it is boosting and has power after 2.5k
    I am not new to DSM's but new to Auto.
    Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    Matt

Street Build 623  1

1978 Chevy LUV
    automatic · 4G63t Swapped

1K  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.98 @ 125 · 2G DSM

688  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.04 @ 121.000 · 2G DSM
  2. oren hughbanks

oren hughbanks Proven Member

Joined Aug 4, 2014
    prescott valley, Arizona
    Hmm I would say double check your timing?
    Stock exhaust? Maybe the catalytic converter is busted inside? Any boost leaks? Maybe old spark plugs or wires? Getting bad mpg?

1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. mattp_65

mattp_65 Proven Member

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Lake Stevens, Washington
    Yeah I would have to double check timing. All stock even exhaust and cat. I will need to do a emission test soon so I guess I will find out then.
    But no boost leaks. And I have new wires and plugs.
    Timing is a good suggestion.
    thanks

Street Build 623  1

1978 Chevy LUV
    automatic · 4G63t Swapped

1K  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.98 @ 125 · 2G DSM

688  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.04 @ 121.000 · 2G DSM
  4. dsmcoder

dsmcoder Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2010
    Havre, Montana
    Mine feels like this too. I always thought it was from the longer gears in the auto. Anyone else have this?