The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Ski/snowboard racks for 2g AND snowtires--

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe039

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2004
San Luis Obispo, California
Yo!

Okay, I've found myself going to tahoe a hell of a lot this year. the truck i WAS taking up doesn't have 4x4, so i was putting chains on it, and that not only looks REALLY dumb on a truck, but is a pain in the ass that i hate having to do.

So i started taking my car up, and i realized "Hey, I need some winter tires along w/ some ski racks because i wanna take some friends up, and all our gear + us won't fit in the itty bitty little interior."

SO HERE'S THE QUESTIONS:

1)I got my old set of stock wheels (the 16" alloy w/ the swoopy kinda deal.. y'know.. the REALLY ugly ones :D) And i wanted to get a good set of winter tires for them for a pretty decent price, i was wondering if y'all would be able to give me some good input on tires. as well as the size of them so i can order them asap. (the wheels are like.. 260 mi away, so i can't really run out and check them.)

2)Roof Racks. I've heard and read a bunch of horror stories about people putting racks on their car and not being able to get them off, or them looking horrible. Right now, im not too worried about the overall look of it, its not a permanent deal. Iim looking for like an actual manufactured kit. SO input on brands/models would be great. I saw that Thule made a set, but it was like $350.. and that hurts.. but if its the only option so be it.

Thanks a bunch guys!

There was a few pics in the gallery of a black 2gb with a ski rack attached...looked a bit out of place on the car, but not horrible if its put to use and taken off in the summer.

As for tires, I've driven on both Michelin Alpin and Bridgestone Blizzak tires on a RWD BMW and have had no problems at all. You can't go driving around with a lead foot, but it definately helps. Just keep in mind that they are very soft and do wear quickly. I've made it through really tough weather here in MI no problem with my AWD and a good set of all season tires...I'd bet you would be fine with all season.

As for the rims, my winter ones are the talon swirl ones and stock tires are 205/55/16. I believe the rim is 16x7.

I put Blizzak WS-50's on this winter. I don't know why I haven't done it before! I was out with the 4X4's during our last storm. I also have posi so that doubles my chances of traction. :)

I have 3 Talon swirlies for sale. PM me for more details if you are interested.

I wouldn't get studded tires...is the weather really that bad up there? A good set of winter/all season will be more than plenty to get up any mountain road.

blackGSX2g said:
I wouldn't get studded tires...is the weather really that bad up there?
If he's going up 88, it's the snowiest piece of road on the continent that they bother to try and keep open all year. So, yeah. It's that bad. Plus, Sierra snow isn't fluffy fun snow. It's wet and nasty- referred to as "Sierra Cement".

Well if the roads are that bad, I wouldn't consider a GSX to be my vehicle of choice.

Hence, i've stopped looking for snow tires and racks, as i found that together its gonna cost me close to a grand, and since i can prolly pick up an old jeep that runs ok for about $1500-2000. :D :thumb: I need a new daily driver anyways, somthin i can just beat on regularly without remorse. YAY FOR BEATER CARS WOOT!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back