The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Short throw shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo2g

5+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2017
Fallbrook, California
I wanted to see what shifters the DSMers go with these days. Which one's work good for these cars, fit correctly, install without a headache, low price if possible. 98 GST

The car came with a long stupid 6-shooter revolver looking shifter and its wobbly and just garbage all around. I'm going in there to replace the bushings and get things tight again. I want to change out the shifter with something more performance oriented while I'm there.

Show me what you guys have and if you'd recommend it!

I wanted to see what shifters the DSMers go with these days. Which one's work good for these cars, fit correctly, install without a headache, low price if possible. 98 GST

The car came with a long stupid 6-shooter revolver looking shifter and its wobbly and just garbage all around. I'm going in there to replace the bushings and get things tight again.

Bushings are a good place to start. You will be looking at the shifter base bushings. Under the hood, you can also replace the bushings on the shift cables where they mount to the trans. As far as shifters go, not sure if you are referring to the knob or a short shift unit.

If the knob, any generic one that fits best with your style if you prefer something non-OEM.

If a short-shifter is what you're after, the B&M unit is the one to have. Alas, they are LONG out of production, but can be found used. This was/is the best direct replacement option.

Yes a short throw assembly is what I'm after

Look for a B&M shifter. They're not made for our cars anymore, and finding a used one can be hard to come by, but if you do, buy it. They're well worth it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Cool, I'll keep my eyes open for one. What do you guys think about the Megan Racing one? Looks the same, it's available, and is affordable for around $80. So are several knock off's for like $35. I watched some videos on the knock off's. They seem to work fine. I work in a shop and can make anything work. The the minor fitment issues they talk about won't be an issue for me. One guys negative review, he kept complaining about the bolt coming loose. Thread locker or a lock washer would have been a simple fix.

Another question I have is about knobs. I absolutely hate the universal ones that screw in from three points in the side. How do you know when shopping for a knob that it will screw onto the oem thread size? And what is the OEM thread size? A lot of knobs aren't even advertised with their thread size.

I used the Megan Racing short shifter and thought it worked well. I didn't have any fitment issues or binding issues when going through the gears.

I just replaced the Megan that was in my car for years with the real B&M. The tolerances on the Megan block were slightly looser which adds up to quite a bit of play. Also one of the pivot holes contains a needle bearing it rattled around inside the Megan but not in this B&M. The B&M seems to be a little heavier and the lever itself has a better finish.
The Megan worked fine and shifts were just as short as the B&M. It was just noisy and had more play than a good OE shifter. I paid like double what they were new for the B&M, it was new in the box, and am completely happy with it.
As for the knob the OE shifter and the B&M are threaded M10x1.25. The Megan for some reason was M10x1.5, they may have corrected that since I bought mine.

Last edited:
Ya I saw the Ralco one. It's on ebay for cheap. Not sure what to think about it. I''l probably do the Megan one since its a name brand and cheap too. Don't want to wait for a b&m to turn up and trust that its good used. With the new bushings and linkage bushings I'll be doing I'm sure the Megan will do fine. I guess I'll wait till I get it before ordering a knob so I can verify the the thread size. Thanks for your input guys.

with as cheap as the typical DSMer is i never figured out why modifying the stock one isnt the common practice. the Megan one isn't as tight as a modified stock shifter even. and it is one of the simplest things to mod in the car.

with as cheap as the typical DSMer is i never figured out why modifying the stock one isnt the common practice. the Megan one isn't as tight as a modified stock shifter even. and it is one of the simplest things to mod in the car.
You mean drilling a hole where the aftermarket ones would have it? Thats a good idea. I'd have to figure out the measurements where to drill it though. Maybe someone with a b&m or megan can measure from hole to hole.

Ya I saw the Ralco one. It's on ebay for cheap. Not sure what to think about it. I''l probably do the Megan one since its a name brand and cheap too. Don't want to wait for a b&m to turn up and trust that its good used. With the new bushings and linkage bushings I'll be doing I'm sure the Megan will do fine. I guess I'll wait till I get it before ordering a knob so I can verify the the thread size. Thanks for your input guys.
Ralco have been making parts for our cars for years! They used to do alot more, would trust them over megan myself, ralco is not a new brand.

If all else fails go get MGW shifters to make a kit for us, will be around $500 i think but you wont get better quality then them! But thats the issue here! Everyone wants quality and cheap and both dont go together LOL,

You mean drilling a hole where the aftermarket ones would have it? Thats a good idea. I'd have to figure out the measurements where to drill it though. Maybe someone with a b&m or megan can measure from hole to hole.

the top part of the shifter is easy, just grinder down the handle about 2" bellow the thread small enough that a tap will fit over it then tap it. and cut about 2" off the top. the bottom of the shifter needs to be made longer actually but that is not a big deal really.

like this [URL="http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/turning-scrap-metal-back-into-a-95-talon-tsi.469337/page-2#post-153491086"]turning scrap metal back into a 95 talon tsi[/URL]

Does anyone know if the B&M short shifter has markings on it?
I have one right now that has the blue base like in the pics, and from everything I am seeing it looks authentic to me.

Any input would be great. Also it is for sale.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
They way to usually tell the b&m apart from the other replicas, is the blue adapter, but more importantly, the handle on the replicas is usually like almost a chrome/polished finish. The b&m is machined and you can usually see the slight machining marks in the handle.

I know this is somewhat unrelated but... I'm seeing the new boosted performance shifter system all over the place for 2g's. With that being said I've also spotted the k tuned shifter system floating around in A ton of YouTube vids and was curious if anyone has tried to make a k tuned shifter assembly work in a DSM?. Any input would be interesting to hear!. I'm seeing a similar lateral movement and was curious if anyone else has had the same idea?. Maybe it's possible? $450 to get a updated, solid shift system would be awesome for our cars.

Hmmm it would be an interesting venture, but I don't know if anyone would be willing to do it. I completely redid my shifter system with new bushing, rubber stops, master and slave cylinder, stainless master to slave. Literally went through and replaced every wearable part for about ~$400

Sounds like alot of work maybe someone with more expertise will chime in

Hmmm it would be an interesting venture, but I don't know if anyone would be willing to do it. I completely redid my shifter system with new bushing, rubber stops, master and slave cylinder, stainless master to slave. Literally went through and replaced every wearable part for about ~$400

Sounds like alot of work maybe someone with more expertise will chime in
Ive been reading on this for the past few months. Checking out pictures and diagrams of the moving k tuned shifter. It look possible. You would definitely need to modify the shift cable ends.. still going to check around in some honda forums and ask some people. I'll post my findings here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back