The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Shift linkage and lower radiator hose

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calan

DSM Wiseman
Jan 16, 2007
OKC, Oklahoma
I was crawling around under my car and noticed that the shift arm on the trans is starting to wear a groove into my lower radiator hose when it's all the way forward (it's a Gates Racing hose from ExtremePSI).

I saw one thread on some flexible radiator hose on a 6-bolt to 2G swap, but has anyone else seen this issue? If so, how did you resolve it? Are there any alternative hoses from other cars that will fit with more clearance around the turbo inlet/shift cable area?

i had this problem... i just went to my local auto parts store and went on the back to the isle that had all the hoses.... then i chose one out of (a crap load) and made sure that it cleared

I am having the same issue but I have a 2g with a 6bolt swap. I am interested in a solution as well.

That's an easy fix - cut off enough of the counterweight so it clears the lower radiator hose. It's not necessary to be there.

I haven't had a problem but I have noticed that it makes contact. I was always more concerned with it messing up my shifting. What counterweight are you referring to, if I'm not mistaken it's the actual shift lever that hits the radiator hose on a 1g.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same issue (6 bolt in a 2G). Eric, IIRC cutting off the counterweight will help but the top of the "hinge" (part where the counterweight rotates around) still makes contact. At least on mine it did. I think I ended up grinding down the top of it to reduce the height and that solved the problem. Unfortunately the head is off right now so I can't confirm.

Craig, later today I'll post a pic of what's left of my counterweight.

This is on a 1G. The part that hits is right where the linkage connects, and there is nothing to cut off. The reason it's an issue is because the intake tube I'm using is putting just enough pressure on the hose to push it over and into the linkages.

After pulling the hose, it looks like the other cable has worn an even deeper groove, although shorter. One is into the cords, so it's good that I caught it when I did.

Gates Racing lower hose is not made to the correct oem shape. I had one and tossed it due to the same problem you are having. I since have used the Goodyear part #354 with good results.

This is on a 1G. The part that hits is right where the linkage connects, and there is nothing to cut off. The reason it's an issue is because the intake tube I'm using is putting just enough pressure on the hose to push it over and into the linkages.

After pulling the hose, it looks like the other cable has worn an even deeper groove, although shorter. One is into the cords, so it's good that I caught it when I did.

Oops, my bad.:coy:

What if you cut the radiator end of the hose a bit so that it's shorter and you have to pull it more forward/away from the block and shift linkage? A long shot but just a thought.

Oops, my bad.:coy:

What if you cut the radiator end of the hose a bit so that it's shorter and you have to pull it more forward/away from the block and shift linkage? A long shot but just a thought.

This is what i do just trim it to fit like most hoses.

I went to O'Reilly's and picked up a new "stock" lower hose, and it fits perfectly. I don't know what's up with that Gates hose from ExtremePSI, but Vanish70 is correct; it doesn't fit anywhere near as good as the one I picked up today does.

The strange thing is, the one I got at O'Reilly's is also a Gates, but it's black vs. the blue ones that ExtremePSI sells.

Oh well... buyer beware of those Gates hose kits. :)

I had this problem, not sure if it's a gate's hose or not. I had to make a bracket that held up the filter end of my intake pipe, it was pushing down on my intercooler pipe, which pushed down on my lower radiator hose, which was rubbing on the counter weight making it very hard to get into 5th gear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back