The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

SFMU question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian O Conner

10+ Year Contributor
May 8, 2011
Sheridan, Indiana
Hello community, To get this started I realise the FMU or SFMU size is all based upon how much boost you plan to run along with the fuel management system you plan to run. All I am asking you guys is should I get the FMU in the 1:1(or what size) or should I get the SFMU(Youll see why I bring this up). To let you get an Idea I am going to run 27psi on my GT35R on the track every once in a while and I will run around 12 psi on the road but this car is not going to be a dd it will be driven only during the summer and never to work just for weekends and fun events. I am going to buy the Hahn Portfueler system and run the stage 5 injecters which are 500cc secondary, The 1:1 FPR that they supply me with, missing link, STL FCD and The MSD DIS 2 racing spark control, HKS type 1 turbo timer and the LC1 wideband. I am just wondering if I am going to be good on the fuel management portion as well that is all I need to buy. As for the engine I have everything in hand and I am doing to rebuild as I speak(check profile). Anyways what should I get.

Hello community, To get this started I realise the FMU or SFMU size is all based upon how much boost you plan to run along with the fuel management system you plan to run. All I am asking you guys is should I get the FMU in the 1:1(or what size) or should I get the SFMU(Youll see why I bring this up). To let you get an Idea I am going to run 27psi on my GT35R on the track every once in a while and I will run around 12 psi on the road but this car is not going to be a dd it will be driven only during the summer and never to work just for weekends and fun events. I am going to buy the Hahn Portfueler system and run the stage 5 injecters which are 500cc secondary, The 1:1 FPR that they supply me with, missing link, STL FCD and The MSD DIS 2 racing spark control, HKS type 1 turbo timer and the LC1 wideband. I am just wondering if I am going to be good on the fuel management portion as well that is all I need to buy. As for the engine I have everything in hand and I am doing to rebuild as I speak(check profile). Anyways what should I get.
I don't think the 500cc/min secondaries will be large enough for 27psi if you'll still be running the stock injectors as primaries. Otherwise, your proposed setup sounds good, but it's really much too complex. It's more complicated than it needs to be at least.

For the fuel system I'd recommend 1,000cc/min fuel injectors or larger. Use a suitable fuel pump (Walbro 255lph should be sufficient), and an Aeromotive 1:1 AFPR.

For controlling the fuel injectors, I'd recommend MegaSquirt EMS! It seems like you tried hard to avoid even mentioning it, but it's really what you need here... With a MegaSquirt system, you won't need a staged injector setup, you won't need an external ignition box, and you won't need to deal with mechanically set fueling curves. It's the best tool for the job, and since this car isn't a DD, you'll have all the time you need to lean the in's and out's of engine tuning.

You do not need both an FCD and missing link -- it's one or the other, preferably the FCD. The Innovate LC-1 is a great thing to have for whatever option you end up choosing. The turbo timer is irrelevant.

Brother, I appreciate you helping me
out on the management question man but I have a few more questions before I begin them I want you to realise that I am the kind of person you really want to help on here. I have invested over 13 thousand dollars in the engine alone(not to mention the next 2000 dollars I am planning on spending). This car is still going to be streetable but it will be good at the track. So, I am worth while your time. The Hahn Portfueler system can handle up to 27 psi(as long as you get the stage 5 pack). As for the injecters they could of gave me a wrong quote. They do supply a 1:1 FPR in there package. My question is this should I get a 1:1 or 3:1 FMU or SFMU to handle 27 psi? The reason I am not getting the Megasquirt is because of wiring issues. Really the PF will have less trouble shooting when it comes to a wire error but in your opinion should I get a FMU or SFMU?

Brother, I appreciate you helping me
out on the management question man but I have a few more questions before I begin them I want you to realise that I am the kind of person you really want to help on here. I have invested over 13 thousand dollars in the engine alone(not to mention the next 2000 dollars I am planning on spending). This car is still going to be streetable but it will be good at the track. So, I am worth while your time. The Hahn Portfueler system can handle up to 27 psi(as long as you get the stage 5 pack). As for the injecters they could of gave me a wrong quote. They do supply a 1:1 FPR in there package. My question is this should I get a 1:1 or 3:1 FMU or SFMU to handle 27 psi? The reason I am not getting the Megasquirt is because of wiring issues. Really the PF will have less trouble shooting when it comes to a wire error but in your opinion should I get a FMU or SFMU?
My suggestion is still MegaSquirt EMS. I'm not sure what you mean by "wiring issues," but you still have wiring to do with PortFueler as well. The installation process with MegaSquirt EMS is really a lot less difficult and a lot more straightforward than some people make it out to be.

In any case, you shouldn't need an FMU/S-FMU with PF; they do the same thing.

The Hahn Portfueler system can handle up to 27 psi(as long as you get the stage 5 pack). As for the injecters they could of gave me a wrong quote.[/QUOTE]

You need to read quite a bit more on turbocharging fundamentals and tuning. 27 psi is not a measurement of anything useful, except to find the pressure ratio in plotting on the map.

27 psi on a S16G is nowhere close to 27 psi on GT3582r - so the claim that those injectors can handle 27 psi means nothing, unless it was directed at a specific turbocharger.

Paul is correct that those secondaries are not going to cut it at your proposed boost level. For reference, my 750cc injectors are maxing out the IDC at 28psi on a 3076R. So invest in some larger injectors, or lower your power output tuning.

Tried to tell him that on 2gnt.. but i dont think its sinking in...
At his level of understanding, i think a PF system is the way to go. I would suggest a tried and true setup to start with before you jump in the ring with Ali b/c you think you can box..

imo: Try the PF system, with a s16G or 20g (IE the tired and true system). I think building the way you are, your asking to spend lots of money and be either disappointed, or disappointed with a broken car.

As for the fact the Hahn Portfueler system working with the Garret T3T4 turbo can be done at 27 psi. I have a friend on here named AWDynamite that has done it. As for the Megasquirt system I am looking into all of this that is why I am asking the questions. To get an Idea on what to get if I went with the PF. As for Hahn They are really a pain in the behind to even get a response back from.

I am not just going to build up the motor and run 27 psi right off the bat. I will not do that untill a good year from once my car is running and together but I want it to be capable of doing that when I do go to the track. It is hard to express what I am going to do on the internet on a keyboard. If I could talk to you guys you would then Understand. You guys are also percieving this like I am going to buy these management parts the second you tell me what I need. I am going to look into my options.

As for the fact the Hahn Portfueler system working with the Garret T3T4 turbo can be done at 27 psi. I have a friend on here named AWDynamite that has done it.

You are still not understanding me. PSI is irrelevant. What you need to find out is the mass air flow you are running at a given psi for your particular turbo. A T3T4 turbo could be a variety of models so again, that argument does not hold much water. In order to correctly plan for fuel requirements, you need to do the math.

Visit my thread regarding plotting your whereabouts on a given compressor map.

2GNT.com Forums - Viewing topic - Challenge: plot your setup on the compressor map

Portfueler IMO is just a bandaid. I would really recommend MS for the simple fact of its the only controller you need, with PF you will have to get an MSD box, MSD tach adapter, etc. MS has all that right off the rip. Like I've always heard, the less parts you have working together the less likely you are to have a problem when one goes bad. And with as many base maps that there are its really a no brainer anymore to set up MS. Use what you want and what you think is best but with PF you are still tricking the stock ecu, where with MS you are replaceing the ecu.

Agreed... Besides, Lets say you run a s20G on a PF. You still WONT be able to push 27 PSI due to stock timing, the ecu can only do so much, Then youll need MS/Crane.. then your ading more parts, when MS is all in one.. But as awesome as MS is its not for everyone.. Im scared to recommend it to the OP.. until hes done alot more reading.. If he cant get a simple system to work, then theres no way he will get MS to work.

As for your "friend statement" .. if hes AWD, hes proly a 4g6x, that cam OEM boosted, IE already has the initial fuel for it, so adding fuel is much easier, and ###### dosent need to add as much as we would IF we were using his setup on a 420a.. read CODE'S link, its very good.

Agreed... Besides, Lets say you run a s20G on a PF. You still WONT be able to push 27 PSI due to stock timing, the ecu can only do so much, Then youll need MS/Crane.. then your ading more parts, when MS is all in one.. But as awesome as MS is its not for everyone.. Im scared to recommend it to the OP.. until hes done alot more reading.. If he cant get a simple system to work, then theres no way he will get MS to work.

As for your "friend statement" .. if hes AWD, hes proly a 4g6x, that cam OEM boosted, IE already has the initial fuel for it, so adding fuel is much easier, and ###### dosent need to add as much as we would IF we were using his setup on a 420a.. read CODE'S link, its very good.

Actually AWDDynamite was a 2gnt-t. He had one of the first higher whp turbo nt's. Although he had a few documented numbers with proof, he also said he had a good bit higher numbers as well without proof and some people called him out on it. All in all he had a bit of knowledge about the 2gnt. I think his username on here is that and on 2gnt.com as well. search for him if you interested.

Awdynamite has a 420a on here he is number 3 in the world for the 420a 1/4 mile time for the eclipse. As for the Dyno results they are beyond legit the guy has a video to prove it on the 420a videos post on here.

what a silly name for a 2gnt...

he has an awd eclipse as well thats why he made the name like that. I thought the same thing untill I saw another one of his vids.

I know he had a few legit numbers any way, do what you want with your fuel system, we can recommend what ever we like and what the general consesus is as better, but if you don't like it then don't get it. Do what ever you think will work. It will either work great or will be an expensive learning curve for you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back