The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Scratched Cam Bearing Caps

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63tsiawd

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 16, 2004
columbus, Ohio
Ok so I got my fp double vavle springs in today. I plan on getting them installed either this week or next. My question is I was looking at my head tonight and noticed a few small imperfections. Mostly there are small scratches in the bearing housing, something like 360 grit sand paper wound make. But one bearing cap has two super small lines running threw them, half the size of a mechanical pencil lead. Should I be concerned.

While the scratches are probably not an issue (I would really need to see it to confirm, picture?), the line running through the cap gives me an uneasy feeling.

I've never swapped cam, main, or rod caps before on any build, but have always heard that it's a huge no-no (along with rotational alignment) unless you get them re-bored.

my 0.02

It's most likely from debris being trapped between the camshaft and the cap. It's pretty common if the head has ever been bead blasted. I doubt it's going to cause you any problems. I wouldn't take any sandpaper to it either, that will just create more of a problem.

Camshafts are amongst the most "well-bearinged" parts of an engine. They have gangs of surface area for the amount of load they're subjected to. Small scratches as you describe should be of no consequence, but we'd still want pictures to see if you're lying or not. Er, "mistaken", that is.

Camshafts are amongst the most "well-bearinged" parts of an engine. They have gangs of surface area for the amount of load they're subjected to. Small scratches as you describe should be of no consequence, but we'd still want pictures to see if you're lying or not. Er, "mistaken", that is.

Well I took it down to a local machine shop here in columbus Oh. Philips racing if anyone is interested. They did the head for the bright yellow and orange 2g car that was at the shoot out. They are installing my double vavle springs and checking the clearance with the bearing caps, and if need be doing a line hone. And as for the picture here ya go
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

you have nothing on my bad ass digital camera.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back