The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

scm61 boost impressions :scm61 users wanted:

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmrunaway1

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 6, 2003
New_JerseyUS
i have the scm61 bolted up running w/g boost which is about 14.7-15.6lbs.....im told those turbo doesn't start really pulling really hard till 20psi +....i have everything needed to run 24lbs +...some of my major mods are...272's 1mm os valves, jm fab smim, fully built head, fmic, unorthdox pulleys,fidanza flywheel, and alot of other stuff.....can someone compare w/g boost and 24 pounds of boost on pump (my keydriver chip has a fuel map in it to allow more boost on pump gas)...scm61 users wanted to let me know the real deal...but other experiences with big turbos is welcome as well..thanks guys

Check my profile for my mods ... I have a raised compression so I start getting a little knock at 22-23 psi but I can however say there is a HUGE difference between 15 psi and 21 psi. If you don't plan on leaving the boost above 20 at all times this isn't the turbo for you. Crank that baby up and you won't regret it. I get 22 psi by 4500.

i'm running the turbo with stock 1G engine at 25psi with pump gas, full boost at 4100 rpm pull hard to 8500rpm.... with your setup it will perform a lot better.

this turbo with stock engine will need a lot of ignition to spool and love high boost......

p/s watchout for your tranny :p

1fast97gsx said:
jo - whats your base timing set at? Just curious. No knock at 25 psi?

9-10 degree..
i'm not using knocking sensor so cannot count the knock
the air temp. is the same whether i'm running 20psi or 25psi, so i'm not worried about knocking as long as the ignition timing is retarded on boost and the afr is around 11.5...

Not to hi jack this thread but... @ 21-22 PSI how many HZ are you seeing ?

jo1 said:
9-10 degree..
i'm not using knocking sensor so cannot count the knock
the air temp. is the same whether i'm running 20psi or 25psi, so i'm not worried about knocking as long as the ignition timing is retarded on boost and the afr is around 11.5...
wow thats real smart... :notgood: :rolleyes:

any other input about this turbo....how will this perform against a gt35r runnin the same boost....considering i have more mods then him and im fwd and hes awd...and will do a roll start....and the fact that its dual bb makes no diff to me....sik turbo though but....they are pretty much the same i think... same wheel and everything...correct me if im wrong

jo1 said:
i'm running the turbo with stock 1G engine at 25psi with pump gas, full boost at 4100 rpm pull hard to 8500rpm.... with your setup it will perform a lot better.

this turbo with stock engine will need a lot of ignition to spool and love high boost......

p/s watchout for your tranny :p

Am I the only person that is reading this right? 25psi by 4100 rpm on the stock 1g bottom end? I dont think so. I have to raise the bs flag on this. I have a 60-1 with the stage 5 turbine (scm 5252, one step below the 61) and I dont see full boost of 23-24psi till 42-4300 rpm and thats dyno tuned with cams, maft, 1mm os valves, etc. Its all in my profile and I have never seen a stock or mildly modded 2.0 spool anything this large at near this low of rpm. Are you sure your tach and boost gauge are accurate?

To the original thread starter, your turbo is made to run at least 20 psi at the lowest. Anything lower and you defeat the purpose of running the scm61. Turn up the boost and you will see why I say that. :thumb:

i had it on my stock 7 bolt bottom end and running around 20 psi. and im with the others, i didnt see boost nearly as early as was stated above, more like 4400-4600, unless i was on the bottle, then it was instant :thumb:

FinestEclipse said:
how much boost and hp can the 2g motor hold with the scm61

I ran about 25 PSI on my bone stock 50k Mile bone stock 2g bottom end....even with a stock composite headgasket...

And Im seeing about 22 PSI by 4200 RPM with stock cams in 5th gear .. about 45-4600 in third gear

how are the differences from the boost levels originally stated...15 to say 23-24

Lets just say my freinds car made 100 more WHP @ 21 PSi then it did at 14 psi

GILZTSIAWD said:
i had it on my stock 7 bolt bottom end and running around 20 psi. and im with the others, i didnt see boost nearly as early as was stated above, more like 4400-4600, unless i was on the bottle, then it was instant :thumb:

What gear was that in when you were seeing that sort of spool up? I had it on a stock 2g motor last year for a while and was getting 23 psi by 4500 in 3rd.

Burnett03 said:
wow thats real smart... :notgood: :rolleyes:
obviously your not aware that people were tuning with timing and A/F ratios long before the advent of knock sensors. i applaud this guy for being ballsy enough to make it work.

I love this turbo. Lag isn't nearly as bad as the 50trim guys make it out to be. Run some aggressive timing early on in the rpm band to help it spool, then back off timing as the boost hits. Can't wait to get everything dialed in so i can put it to the test.... Seems like the best true bolt-on turbo on the market right now.... It's off for a rebuild right now, but the week it get's back on the car I'm going for a 27-30psi blast at e-town... I'll be sure to post results at low boost as well (1bar) so that we can see the real world difference.

I was seeing boost around that range in 2nd gear, but my car is auto, so that might make a difference. I don't mind the lag at all though, as soon as i get my high stall in there wont be any lag, but right now once that thing starts pulling, it pulls like a freight train til redline.

92awddsm said:
Am I the only person that is reading this right? 25psi by 4100 rpm on the stock 1g bottom end? I dont think so. I have to raise the bs flag on this. I have a 60-1 with the stage 5 turbine (scm 5252, one step below the 61) and I dont see full boost of 23-24psi till 42-4300 rpm and thats dyno tuned with cams, maft, 1mm os valves, etc. Its all in my profile and I have never seen a stock or mildly modded 2.0 spool anything this large at near this low of rpm. Are you sure your tach and boost gauge are accurate?

To the original thread starter, your turbo is made to run at least 20 psi at the lowest. Anything lower and you defeat the purpose of running the scm61. Turn up the boost and you will see why I say that. :thumb:

Cams and bigger valves slow your spool down. More airflow, but less velocity = slower spool.

i also getting a slower full boost at the first time using this turbo but when u play with the ignition timing u will notice the different...

this turbo need very high ignition timing to spool it up, once it start making boost just lower the timing to the safe region....

bump the timing as long as the engine can take it...... :nono: experience tuner needed

by the way i'm using stand alone EMS without airflow or maft and the higest posibble ignition timing is at 50 degree (crank + EMS) :thumb: , i'm not worry about the engineb'coz i always know what ignition timing i'm playing with and when to retard it..... always monitor the water temp (set up) and air temp (intercooler efficiency)

FinestEclipse said:
how much boost and hp can the 2g motor hold with the scm61

I have seen 30 psi on my stock 7 bolt....

I have a scm61 as well and see full boost (22+) by 4500 in 4th. The turbo feels much better at 27 psi than it does at 22 :)

For anybody that daily drives on this turbo, what boost are you running on pump gas? I am currently running 23lbs with my Big16G on pump gas (my MBC is max'd). I am just wondering what kind of boost control I will need to get when I upgrade to this turbo.

Turbo's back!!! Man it took awhile... Time to put this thing to the test... I'll be tuning with dsm link v2... looking for 11.50's(no roll cage)... Any tuning suggestions from dsmlink users??

mods (stock 2gmas, built 6-bolt motor,electric exhaust cut-out,255,greddyxl,pte 680's,act/6 puck, and blah,blah,blah)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back