1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Rust in uicp from alky injection

Posted by v8killer, Oct 26, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. v8killer

v8killer Proven Member

Joined Oct 4, 2002
    harlan, Kentucky
    Hey guys after having my kit installed for about 6-8 months i pulled the upper intercooler pipe off and it has rust in the elbow before the throttle body. looks like the fluid has been sitting in the pipe after you turn the car off.

fluid -20 washer fluid to 50-50 mix
    m7post turbo and m1 pre turbo

438  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. floader

floader Proven Member

Joined Feb 2, 2006
    baltimore, Vermont
    I have seen some of the mix my upper piping (it's aluminum so no rust) figured it was just part of the deal. On another subject, how do you like the pre turbo injection?

3. SHaman

SHaman Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2008
    Frankfort, Asia
    Too much fluid? Turn-on too low? Progressive controller?

4. v8killer

v8killer Proven Member

Joined Oct 4, 2002
    harlan, Kentucky
    I was thinking turn on too low. i have it kicking on at 7 psi. because the turbo spools so fast and thats what was recommended but it also is spraying at part throttle in low boost so it might not be consuming it. I will raise it between 10-15psi since i'm running about 28-29psi.

438  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. Devilsown

Devilsown Proven Member

Joined Apr 4, 2006
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Many cheap intake manifolds people create from the cheapest mild steel they can find. If using mild steel i would look into getting it coated. Powder coating works pretty good too. I recommend using Alum as its very good at dissipating heat. Does not rust and its way more affordable than SS tubing.

Nozzle possition and reducing size will help if your getting some to sit in the pipe. Where do you have the nozzle.

6. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    Yup, mild steel will rust to some extent regardless of any injection system. Better to just use stainless steel and never worry about corrosion.

Street Build 6K  67

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    609.8 whp · 541.2 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  7. Devilsown

Devilsown Proven Member

Joined Apr 4, 2006
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    yea once humidity gets to 90% its going to rust :( SS is the best to get.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  8. v8killer

v8killer Proven Member

Joined Oct 4, 2002
    harlan, Kentucky
    I think I will go to pure Meth. I think its the water content. But I do have a srt4 front mount I may try with new aluminum piping to see if it helps over my ssmic and shirt route piping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

438  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM
  9. Devilsown

Devilsown Proven Member

Joined Apr 4, 2006
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    With mild steel even straight methanol is going to cause rust. Any moister even a rainy day and its going to rust.