The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Running RICH

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakesSweetTalon

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2008
Fremont, Indiana
OK guys bone stock first gen running insanely rich then engine light turns on and it dies out after about 10 seconds total run time new battery and fuel filter installed still same problem unplugged maf to check with maf unplugged died almost instantly no more than 2 seconds of run time any help would be awesome

Pull the codes from the CEL and we can go from there. How do you know its running rich?

no i dont have a tuning device on hand right now i have access to a snap on brick but i know its running rich because the exhaust gasses reek of fuel and its blacker than black i was told to check my fuel filters and stuff like that and its all new and i blew out the lines so there isnt any blockage there and i'm at a loss i need someway to do this mechanically ### i need to drive this to work at 6 am tomorrow if at all possible i have a parts car to rob from if i need to so anything you guys think i can switch out or steal to try lemme know ### this is kind've a need it now thing thanks for any ideas

If it helps i can post a video to show you how its running and what it does if i can post one on here of it if not i could always email it or youtube the vid so you guys can see that i'll go take a video right now and do that to make life simpler for everyone

did he verify they are bone stock or just say it was bone stock. If its running that rich I would think either a larger than stock injector, a possibly stuck open injector, or a issue with the fpr giving too much pressure to the fuel system

the videos on youtube its under 1gen problems by jakestalons

everything is stock i checked it all and the guy said one day it just wouldnt start the battery that he had was junk for one and for two it seems to me like he didnt know dick shit about a car ROFL but he sold it to me for 500 bucks so i cant complain there but i gotta figure the damn thing out the video is uploading now i thought it would be done by now but its being slower than balls and the video isnt the greatest but i think you guys will be able to see and hear how it acts while running

did he verify they are bone stock or just say it was bone stock. If its running that rich I would think either a larger than stock injector, a possibly stuck open injector, or a issue with the fpr giving too much pressure to the fuel system
Don't no if he checked just going by what he said.

Sent from my Devour using Tapatalk

Is it running on all cyl? Do all the plugs fire, you might have a bad coil or wire/plug and one cyl is just spraying fuel and not burning it.

Id hope we can tell if he is running on 3cyl instead of 4 or else he's got bigger problems. Lol

with only 10 seconds of run time it might be stumbling the whole time and hard to tell.

spark, fuel, air. its got to be one of them.

with only 10 seconds of run time it might be stumbling the whole time and hard to tell.

spark, fuel, air. its got to be one of them.

Dident realize he said it only runs for 10 seconds. If the car sat for long time did you bother to fill up. The tank with premium and ad some gas treatment?

i'm no super mechanic by any means and this is one of my two turbo cars and i've never dealt with turbo so thats why i might ask redundant or stupid questions but its just because i want to make sure all bases are covered so i dont think i have it running smooth then blow the damn thing up you know what i mean? and my budget and time are limited (like anybody else's right) so anything i can try is a big help because its quite possible something is overlooked

I did put new gas in it to try that out but i didnt do a fuel treatment yet but it just seems really strange that it runs great then sputters itself out someone told me that they've actually had their ECU was bad in the car and it did the same thing but i'm praying to god that particular suggestion is not my problem because i dont want to play the ecu game

what i would do is check things in this order

0. how much gas. add some just to be sure gauge might be stuck/wrong
1. boost leaks
2. spark
3. fuel injectors
4. compression
5. timing
6. ecu. is it a dead fish

To check all this will prob be 2 or 3 hours of work by yourself. If checking these doesnt turn up the issue you might need to borrow some parts to try to find the issue. I would also try to swap out the maf to test that also

what i would do is check things in this order

0. how much gas. add some just to be sure gauge might be stuck/wrong
1. boost leaks
2. spark
3. fuel injectors
4. compression
5. timing
6. ecu. is it a dead fish

To check all this will prob be 2 or 3 hours of work by yourself. If checking these doesnt turn up the issue you might need to borrow some parts to try to find the issue. I would also try to swap out the maf to test that also

I second that I would test the ecu first my self cause that's what I would be leaning towards sense it runs great than just dies. Good luck bro if you wher closer id bring beer and give you a hand. Keep us posted

Right on mheidemanjr thanks for the help guys i guess tomorrow i'll grab the brick from the shop and check it out maybe that'll help me out i wont be able to do anymore tonight my kids are here and the wife had to work so i'll have to start again tomorrow (damn) walking to work sucks ROFL but sacrifices are made for DSM's

Well, I haven't been able to get out there to really hammer down on the car because I've been working all week and have had my kids after work. I also have to work all weekend so its pretty epic fail. As soon as I figure it out I will let you know. I'm leaning towards checking the injectors next because I have another set of stockers at my disposal if I need them. Thanks for checking in guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back