The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

running out of fuel at 16 psi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saechao04

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 8, 2006
portland, Oregon
Hey guys trying to solve this problem, I run out of fuel and run super lean at 16psi. Mods are FP BT28, evo 560's, evo fuel pump (not rewired) and STM's fuel kit (pump to rail). I was told before I did the STM kit that it was probably my fuel filter, so I got that done and I'm still running out of fuel. Any thoughts? bad pump? bad injectors?

Well something is definately wrong, are you sure that its an evo fuel pump? If it is then check all your connections, does it sputter or does it hit fuel cut?

What are your current settings on the AFC?

What do you mean by running out of fuel? Fuel cut?

Do you have a wideband? I see you have a logger.

Are you tuning off of fuel trims, and your O2? How do you know how lean you are?

Post some of your log #'s:

Max Timing Advance:
Timing Curve: (is the car pulling timing)
Front O2 @ WOT:
WB if you know:

No sputter, no fuel cut, just runs out. I bought it from evolutionm.net but not sure if its a real evo pump or not, I believe it is though. How would I tell the difference? Tuned at English Racing.

No sputter, no fuel cut, just runs out. I bought it from evolutionm.net but not sure if its a real evo pump or not, I believe it is though. How would I tell the difference? Tuned at English Racing.

I can't tell you if anything is wrong with the pump unless I know what settings you have on your AFC and what the logs say.

Just runs out? Do you know what fuel cut feels like? If you're running out of fuel, and the feels like it hit a wall, then that's fuel cut.

Even with an AFC, you cannot eliminate fuel cut, only pospone it. Fuel cut is an intergrated safety system in the ECU.

Do you even know how to use the AFC, or do you only let that place tune your car?

If you don't, then I would just take it back to them now, before you do for an engine rebuild.

Let me know what the AFC is on, what your logs say, and I can better help you.

I can't post logs right now as I'm at work. I know little of tuning but my settings are -14% from 1k to 4k, then -11% from 5k to 9k on lo, high is -8% from 1k to 4k and -11% from 5k to 9k. throttle points are 30%-49%. Doesn't feel like I hit a "brick wall" either.

I can't post logs right now as I'm at work. I know little of tuning but my settings are -14% from 1k to 4k, then -11% from 5k to 9k on lo, high is -8% from 1k to 4k and -11% from 5k to 9k. throttle points are 30%-49%. Doesn't feel like I hit a "brick wall" either.

So if I am correct, the car pulls just fine when your on 15psi or less, but as soon as you boost above 15, you go lean and run out of fuel?

Honestly, those settings with the AFC SHOULD be ok. That's actually not too bad in relation to your setup. Although all cars are differnet, those setting won't hurt you.

As soon as you can post some logs or data, do so and we'll go from there.

My advice for now is if it runs ok on lower boost levels, turn down the boost! We'll get her right and get to the bottom of it.

If all systems are what you say, then you shouldn't be running out of fuel.

Now if the car won't boost at all, and run out no matter what the boost level, then you most likely have a wiring problem in the AFC. Double check all the wires, unscrew the back and make sure the wire harness didn't come loose inside the AFC.

But all in all, lean is bad!!!

Thanks for all the help mikelv. I'll keep you updated.

Those settings should make things excessively rich. What specifically is happening that makes you think you are running out of fuel? A detailed description of the symptoms and a datalog are going to be very helpful. Have you checked for boost leaks?

Those settings should make things excessively rich. What specifically is happening that makes you think you are running out of fuel? A detailed description of the symptoms and a datalog are going to be very helpful. Have you checked for boost leaks?

I agree, this will make the car rich, meaning that it shouldn't be running out of fuel or going extremely lean. I say it SHOULD be ok....meaning it should have fuel to the system. Based on what he's said, there's no way to even tell if the car is going lean.

Even if you had small boost leak, the car would still pull. Unless it was excessive under high pressure....and if a pipe was blown off it wouldn't even run.

Get us the data homie. :)

Make sure you pull IDC (injector duty cycle) when you post your log information. That will let us know what's going on with that pump.

Also, don't pull that car anymore if your going excessivly lean, I cannot stress that enough.

+1 on the more detailed description of exactly what is going on during a pull.

A PREVIOUS PULL, because we're not going to pull anymore for now, right? :nono:

Hey guys thanks for all the help. Pulled the pump and put a new one on and now everything is good. Buddy had an evo pump. Faulty pump I assume. Thanks for all the help guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back