The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

rubbing tires with 235/45-zr17's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRand

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2004
Toronto, Ontario_Canada
Okay who wants to help me out.

My tires are rubbing right now, and I just wanted to see if I did anything wrong.

Right now I have a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 All seasons 235/45/ZR17 wrapped around a set of 17x7 ADR Spade rims.

My suspension has tokico illumina 5way adjustable shocks, and H&R sport springs (1.7front, 1.4 rear)

I have the adjustable ball joints in the front and rear shims in the back for camber adjustmments (SPC)

Right now I'm missing my stock upper shock mount bushings (black rubber rings).

My car is rubbing the inner metal part of the rear fender, and I figured I wouldn't need to roll the fenders, but I'm about to go and do that, after I get another alignment.

Am I missing something?

More rear camber may tuck it in.

Different offset would help too.

Rear springs rates are probably progressive so there won't be a "rate" for them with the H&R's.

Not to move it inside more.

Just roll the fenders. If you dont have access to a roller, I have seen people use a 2-3 foot 2x4. Just leave the wheel on, maybe need to jack the car up a little so you can stick the 2x4 in the fender, and then use the wheel to pry on. Or try a wooden baseball bat, I have heard that works ok too. Otherwise just spend that $150-200 for a roller. I beleave tirerack has them for $200.

Looks like you have some good opinion's as to the fix. If you do decide to roll the fender's, dont forget to have a heat source to keep the metal warm so that your paint doesn't chip, but don't get the heat too hot, or too close cause that will cause your clear to bubble.

Can anyone one tell me how far off a 235/45/zr17 wheel is from our stock wheel and tire combonation. (mainly a GST or GS). Like would that tire size maintain a general overal tire height?

235'S ARE close enough to origianl tire diameter. Pretty much every 2G i've ever lowered with aftermarket wheels had a rubbing problem in the rear no matter what size tires were on it. the rear fender metal is just HUGE on the inside. take a hammer and bend it up some and you'll be fine. put some paint on it after you hit it to keep it from rusting.

Randy - our setup is somewhat similar, maybe this will help some:

I've got the same H&R sport springs and AGXs, and I have adjusted my rear camber to exactly -1 degree with spacers.

I currently run 225/45s on 17x7 rims with a +40 offset. I think even they used to just slightly rub the insides of the rear fenders, so I did as a couple others said - I rolled it the best I could with a pipe, and even did some more pounding with a hammer. Never had a problem since.

I have another set of wheels and tires now though. 245/40s going on 17x7.5s with a +40 offset. We'll see if they fit or if I'll need to actually roll the fenders more once I get them mounted.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back