The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Rough shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appleyard777

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 15, 2005
Cleveland, Tennessee
just got a 99gsx... with 50k completely stock and 1 owner.... car drives great every gear seems really smooth except 2nd just kinda notchy and 3rd sometimes... would changing the fluid help this at all... or is this common in dsm's?

Changing your fluid to something like BG Snycro Shift may help it but its still going to be notchy when its cold. It has improved all of my DSM's so far.

Im gonna go change my tranny, t-case, and differential fluid tomm.. from what ive read the synchromesh seems to be the best for the gear box, but for the t-case and differential ive heard i need a gl-5 rating fluid? something like Mobil1 gear oil ?.. what do you guys recommend and lastly how man quarts do i need for the t-case and differential? Thanks

appleyard777 said:
Im gonna go change my tranny, t-case, and differential fluid tomm.. from what ive read the synchromesh seems to be the best for the gear box, but for the t-case and differential ive heard i need a gl-5 rating fluid? something like Mobil1 gear oil ?.. what do you guys recommend and lastly how man quarts do i need for the t-case and differential? Thanks

this is right off of road race engineering's website.

BG Snchroshift for the transmission.
Redline Heavy Weight Shock Proof Gear Lube for the t-case and rear diff.

the transmission holds 2.1 qts.
the t-case holds .5 qts.
the rear differential holds .9 qts.

Since your changing the fluilds, might as well use the snchroshift 2. I've heard that the best stuff. I have a fwd, so thats all I can assist with. Good Luck

I've got two transmissions that I had rebult using Mobil 1 full synthetic engine oil. The trans shop recommended this and still gave me a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. One trans was a Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel and the other was a Ford Ranger 4x2. I'll watch this a while and if it works out I have no problems I may start recommending this. They both shifted real smooth. I used a 15w50 oil for heavy lubes and if it takes Dexron they recommended a 5w15 or as light as I could get. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Good Luck

Changed the tranny fluid last week to synchromesh. My 2nd gear is really clunky when goin from 1st to 2nd not really a grind just rough. Doesnt do it when im racing and shifting at higher rpms, doesnt do it when downshifting so i dont think its my synchros. Usually does it at lower rpms. Could this be my bushings?

What could i do to eliminate this? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check the shifter cables/linkage. Maybe it just needs adjusted or it is binding up or hitting something somewhere.

Did this start after the fluid was changed or has it been doing this for awhile?

RoasT BeeF said:
I would check the shifter cables/linkage. Maybe it just needs adjusted or it is binding up or hitting something somewhere.

Did this start after the fluid was changed or has it been doing this for awhile?

Well i just got the car last week and its been doing since i got it.... it was one owner 100% stock doesnt appear that it had been raced at all... had insurance company look at the owner he was about 58year old man so i dont see someone of that age racing but yeah

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back