The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

[RESOLVED] Need Diagram To Remove ECU

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I dont have a diagram, but I can explain it to you the best I can. Its not very hard at all.

Your ECU is located under the dash, behind your radio. To get to it, you have to remove the two kick panels (down by your feet). You have to pop off two gray caps hiding screws. Once you take the screws out, simply wiggle your panels off. You should see the ECU with the wiring harness plugged into it (from the drivers side).

The ECU is held in by three bolts, two on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. Simply remove these bolts (I think they are 12mm but not sure). Once you have those out, you can pull the wiring harness plugs from the ECU on the drivers side. The ECU is now completely free to pull out. You simply wrestle it out, I cut my fingers up trying to get mine out :p

If you have any other questions about it, just let me know :thumb:

Yep what he said above. It's pretty self explanatory once you know where the ecu is.

Thanks guys for the help and the link. I knew were it was before hand, just wasn't sure if there was one or two bolts that were going to be nearly impossible to get at.

For those searching through the archives, I have some advice for you.

I wish I had a photo - There is an air duct that is right above the shifter linkage, between the firewall and the ECU. There is one screw on each side of this air duct (right where the duct changes direction, at the elbow). If you take the screws off (very easy) the ECU comes out without a fuss. The ECU just needs a tad more room to get out. Instead of wasting a lot of time and energy, just take these two screws off; this allows for the duct to give a little more room for the ECU to slide out. Simple, easy, and effective.

Have fun. :)

Here are a few photos I took today. It was in the mid-30s out there, so I hope someone appreciates them. As you can see, the ECU is already out - these are just some mock photos to give you an idea of what to do.

The blue circle indicates where the "sideways" bolt can be found from the link above. The red circle indicates one of the screws that need to be taken off of the air duct. The green circle indicates where the easiest of the three bolts is. Each of the three bolts are for a 10mm socket or wrench.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sorry for the bad picture. The pink circle is indicating where the third bolt can be found on the passenger's side to take the ECU out, but the panel is in the way.

Here is a better photo. The red circle indicates where the other screw is located. In the pink circle you can partially see the passenger's-side bolt that needs to be removed.

And here are the four ECU plug connectors that need to come off of the ECU.

Hey look! I answered my own thread! :D I don't know how each car differs from certain entertainment systems, but I have the OEM Infinity CD/Tape/Radio module, and this is what my ECU area looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
just wanted to say thanks for the pics...i know the thread is a couple months old. but with that air duct out of the way it was SO much easier to remove the ECU..it was effortless.

I'm tryin to look this up but I only see it for the 1g. Is it the same way? I removed the screws and have the ecu like half way out. Also I tried to pull out the connectors but they arent budging. I'm in my driveway and it looks like its gonna rain...I need help quick!

I believe there are two... maybe three? bolts on the sides to unbolt the ECU. I also don't recall being able to move it very far without removing the harnesses from the ECU, so you should certainly pull those out. There are little "buttons" that you depress to unlock each harness so it can pull them out.

Wish I had more certain details but it's been a while and taking the ecu out wasn't particularly memorable (i.e. should be easy).

I dont have a diagram, but I can explain it to you the best I can. Its not very hard at all.

Your ECU is located under the dash, behind your radio. To get to it, you have to remove the two kick panels (down by your feet). You have to pop off two gray caps hiding screws. Once you take the screws out, simply wiggle your panels off. You should see the ECU with the wiring harness plugged into it (from the drivers side).

The ECU is held in by three bolts, two on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. Simply remove these bolts (I think they are 12mm but not sure). Once you have those out, you can pull the wiring harness plugs from the ECU on the drivers side. The ECU is now completely free to pull out. You simply wrestle it out, I cut my fingers up trying to get mine out :p

If you have any other questions about it, just let me know :thumb:
Same thing for a laser RS?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back