The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] car just stopped responding, me = ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm908

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2006
Hillside, New_Jersey
alright I've been searching for a while and this looks like a new one for me,

I'm driving home yesterday on the highway just normal cruising speed, then out of no where, my car loses all power :confused:, the motor was still running but there was no throttle response. I proceeded to step on the clutch and the car immediately shut off on me. Since the car was still in motion i put the car into a high gear and released the clutch and she fired right back up, still with no engine response, so i went to the shoulder and she cut off again once i stepped on the clutch as stopped.

I looked to see if it was the ecu, but to my knowledge there would be no cel on, mine was one in acc, checked the mpi fuse, was fine, and my afc started up so i excluded the ecu from my list of problems,

any help would be much appreciated thank you :thumb:

thanks but i think a lil more serious than that, there is no spark when i crank the car, im getting fuel, but no spark,

Start with the basics, change your spark plugs. Also how long ago have you had your current spark plug wires ? They may be gone.

the wires are less than a year old and the plugs changed less than 3 months ago, and the Tbelt is fine i did check that as well. i'm going to pull out the plugs and see what condition there in.

ok so i just checked the plugs and they look fine, i grounded them to the head and cranked the car and no spark, what could have caused this issue ?

Could be your coil or the box that is on the firewall I believe its called something resistor. Its silver/grey with 4 white wires coming out of it. the plugs is squared 4 pin.

hope this helps

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

my tach hasnt worked since i did the swap, i just used to use my safc as my tach, but the power transistor, is that something i can test before i change it ?

Yes. Disconnect all your plug wires and use a spark tester on each cyl. If you have spark on 2 cylinders then its def the power transistor. If you don't then check the wiring for damage. Your tach not working is a good sign that the transistor or the filter is going bad.

spark tester, do you mean ground each plug and see if they spark, becasue i tried that on cylinder 2 just to see if i was getting spark, and i wasnt.

Ok so my friend is going to lend me his power transistor now if that doesn't work. What else can be the issue

good idea spectre, im going to check that as well

ok, this is weird, kick starting the car (me letting it roll down and hill and popping the clutch) turns her on, so that means my cas is good right ?, so this means maybe the timing didnt jump, because if it did, the car wouldnt start anyway

ok, this is weird, kick starting the car (me letting it roll down and hill and popping the clutch) turns her on, so that means my cas is good right ?, so this means maybe the timing didnt jump, because if it did, the car wouldnt start anyway

Not necessarily. My car just shredded a balance shaft belt and it jump time by about 2 teeth. It ran and i made it almost home, but with almost no throtttle response and very poor power. I made it to a stop sign pushed the clutched in and it shut off. I was worried bout it being timing so i called a flatbed (thank god for AAA) and when i took the lower timing cover out the belt kinda just fell out :barf:

Attachments

• broke timing belt.jpg
    broke timing belt.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 140
Electrical problems are the worse. I just had a similar problem I tried searching the forums but couldn't find any answers. I swore up and down that all the wiring was alright. I finally traced a BAD wire to my mpi relay. It was a bare wire that was grounding in the center console. With an safc hooked up and whatever other wiring additions you have I'd just try tracing all the wires and see if something is loose or exposed.:hmm:

yes thats what i'm thinking as well, but so far i've looked at all my afc wiring and even unplugged it, also changed my ecu to see if that was the issue, negative, but if the car is kick started and it turns on that can eliminate the probability that the cas is bad ?

basically what im asking is, if the car turns on with a kick start that means the cas is sensing a movement in the cams, thus firing the injectors and sparking, so my concern is what would prevent the car from sparking on initial crank ?

The positives are that you can start the car. That eliminates a bunch. Now the questions::confused:
When you turn the key the starter cranks and doesn't start the car tho?
When you turn the key you hear all the normal clicks and whining from the wallbro pump?
When you push start the car it idles alright without an engine light? (i don't remember reading that the engine light came on or not)
Can you when the car is operating normal start your car without holding the clutch??? (cut clutch sensor,hooked up wire to ecu for studderbox)
When, it's idling as soon as you press the clutch does it dies again?
I've had this happen and the clutch forks pressure was actually moving the transmission over away from the engine when I pressed the clutch pedal. It's that bolt that's right under the slave cylinder came loose and causes my car to not start.
Just have someone hold the clutch and look under there if the transmission is moving.

yes the car turns over, it cranks freely, as if in normal operation
yes the walbro does turn on
yes there is fuel pressure
no i cannot turn the car on without the clutch being depressed
it wont steady idle because it dies once its kick started, ie: i was rolling down a hill, hit about 8mph, popped her in first, she fired up but when she slowed herself down she dies

A fatty vacuum leak! next to electrical problems is stupid vac lines/hoses. I'm trying to figure this out because your problem may be the same thing that is happening to mine right now. Except only the car start but the center console has a relay that will click and trip the engine light then re-correct itself then continue driving. Sometimes it will completely spaz out and click click click.. then shut off. I cannot locate the problem. It does all that you described.

technicaly if you're just poping the clutch with the car in gear and you have no throttle responce, then the car is NOT starting. You're already on the right path for checking spark and fuel. So you have fuel but no spark. Start checking everything that makes spark. I'm suspecting the cam sensor or possibly coil. You can use use a multi-meter to check both. Just get ahold of a book and it should tell you exactly what wires to test for what. Also a had a wierd case with the 1g i used to have. did the same thing yours is doing. I pulled the timing cover and found that the crank bolt had come lose and holowed out the crank sprocket. J ust something else you should check. Good luck.

technicaly if you're just poping the clutch with the car in gear and you have no throttle responce, then the car is NOT starting. You're already on the right path for checking spark and fuel. So you have fuel but no spark. Start checking everything that makes spark. I'm suspecting the cam sensor or possibly coil. You can use use a multi-meter to check both. Just get ahold of a book and it should tell you exactly what wires to test for what. Also a had a wierd case with the 1g i used to have. did the same thing yours is doing. I pulled the timing cover and found that the crank bolt had come lose and holowed out the crank sprocket. J ust something else you should check. Good luck.

yes well starting , considering the motor turns on, but immediately off, yes im going to get a professional to try and look at it because when it comes to wiring and things of that nature im a very impatient person, but thank you fro the info, any more would be helpful

resolved. It was the cam sensor

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back