The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Replacing stock infinity amp

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsiJohn333

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2010
Goffstown, New_Hampshire
I recently upgraded all my speakers and head unit. I'm still using the factory infinity amp though but i want to replace it with my new 4 channel amp. I was curious to see if my speakers where running off the amp so i unplugged the stock amp completely to see if i would loose sound but i didn't. my speakers are just running off my head unit. How would i be able to hook up my aftermarket amp without rewiring each speaker through out the car? I wanted to use the factory wiring harness that goes to the stock amp.

Thats odd... When you installed your new head unit did you use a MITAH adapter?

Get two rca adapters for the amp cable. Plug one side into your head unit and the other into the amp. Keeps things nice and neat with only one wire running down there. There is a diagram of the wires that come out under the seat somewhere on this site, just run your speaker outs to those wires because they go to the speakers. You will need crossovers if you want to run your tweeters. Nice clean install with everything under the seat and depending on how you do it the factory amp can easily be popped back in if you way to sell the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes... That is the adapter you need, however if you are going for an aftermarket amp to replace the stock one then you would not need it, as that MITAH adapter is meant to run only your OEM infinity amp with an aftermarket head unit.

So, you can do what caseyrock said. Also, if you wanted to bypass all the oem (thin gauge) wiring all together if your running lots of power and want a little thicker gauge which never hurts. Run all new wires perhaps 12-14 awg from your amps outputs to each individual speaker. That, coupled with fresh RCA's coming from the back of your deck to the amps inputs should make you good to go all around with no weak links.

That's what i did in my build :thumb:

The head unit has two paths to the speakers one goes through the amp and then to the speakers and the other one goes straight to the speakers. The only speakers that is connectted via the amp is the tweeter on the dash so that will be the one that doesn't work when you disconnect the amp.

Idk if there is any specific model that comes with it but I know our was an option on our cars. It comes with the infinity sound systemand it's locate under passenger seat.

So i wouldnt be able to run the Midah adapter with my aftermarket amp and just splice into the amps wiring harness and run it that way?

You wont need the midah adapter to run an aftermarket amp run normally and disconnect the stock amp. The only problem will be if that the tweeters won't work but that really doesn't change anything as much.

Does that mean though i have to run all new wires from my new amp to power my door speakers? I just wanted to run an aftermarket amp to power my rear and front speakers but wanted to do this by splice the wires from the factory harness going to the OEM infinity amp thats under the passenger seat. Is this possible?

It should be possible if you know what wires goes to what speakers from the harness. If you are good with wiring you can put the aftermarkert amp right in the same place where the stock is. Just make sure you know what wire goes to.what speakers. When I go to school tomorrow, I can check on alldata or shopkey for the wiring diagram for you unless someone here has one already.

I have the wiring diagram but it goes back to my original question. Do i use the Mitah radio harness (OEM amp powering speakers) or the radio harness i have now (new head unit powering speakers) to be able to use the oem amps harness for the source of all the speakers so i am able to splice into them to be able to hook up my new amp? or does it even matter which radio harness i use?

some aftermarket has a port for te stock amp connectig because the one i have does but if not then yes you need the mitah adapter.

if the mitah has 2 rca cables to plug in to be able to use the oem amp, then how would i be able to hook up an aftermarket one that has seperate rca cables? im so confused :idontknow:

Because the harness from the radio is just one plug I forget how many pin and some aftermarket radio has the same plug like the one I have in my dsm and other have rca ports.

The harness behind the radio for an amplified system uses low level "RCA" outputs that goes to the factory amp under the seat and the amp converts it to Hi Level "speaker wire" outputs and runs to the speakers. You can use a MIT-01 (Scosche) harness or what ever is equivalent if you don't want to cut on the factory harness to send signal back into the speakers but you still need for the radio to talk to the aftermarket amp either by RCA or speaker wire(most amps now have low level and high level inputs). So its pretty straight forward. Run a power, remote turn on, and ground to the amp and then send the input to the amp and then use some speaker wire to run the wire from the amp back to behind the radio(or under the passenger seat) and your done. I hope this makes sense.

Edit:
For the speaker input you can either use
http://metraonline.com/part/70-7001
or
http://metraonline.com/part/70-7002, you can't use http://metraonline.com/part/70-7003 because it runs into a proprietary plug. No need for it anyway since you would be running new wires.

One more edit :p :
Just so you know if you remove the passenger seat and unplug the stock amp, the factory wiring has enough length to it to be pulled back behind the radio.

Last edit: This may help you...
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...removing-2g-inifinity-amp-w-diagram-pics.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back