The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Replacing Headlights, what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The gears on the back of the lights are to align the lights. If my memory is right, there is 1 bolt on the bottom of the light that you can't get to with the bumper on

Last edited:
The gears on the back of the lights are you align them. If my memory is right, there is 1 bolt on the bottom of the light that you can't get to with the bumper on
Could I remove the bracing and get to them from there or do I need to take the bumper all the way off?

The cheat method is to use a few very long 3/8" extensions, and then another extension on the end which has a swivel head. Then put a 12mm socket on it from underneath and crack that sucker loose. You have to slightly push down on the bumper with your other hand so that you get enough clearance between bumper and bottom of headlight.

Or, if you've got very smallish hands, you can try taking a short 12mm spanner and insert your arm underneath the car and 'search' for that bolt.

Personally I think it is just easier to take off the front bumper, takes all of ten minutes. The headlight bolt behind the bumper is also a necessary component as your headlights will rattle if it is not securely in place.

Also the plastic bumper clips can be bought for bulk on any automotive retail site so I wouldnt worry too much. I have a baggy of 1000 of varying width fasteners that my car friends mooch from.

Personally I think it is just easier to take off the front bumper, takes all of ten minutes. The headlight bolt behind the bumper is also a necessary component as your headlights will rattle if it is not securely in place.

Also the plastic bumper clips can be bought for bulk on any automotive retail site so I wouldnt worry too much. I have a baggy of 1000 of varying width fasteners that my car friends mooch from.
^^^^^^^^
Taking off the bumper is super easy. I had issues with breaking off the little pop rivets/screws (whatever they are) on the wheel liner, can just buy new ones for cheap or go to a junkyard and stock up like I did. Everytime I have to take off my bumper I just break them LOL.

I end up buying those dumb plastic clips. You can get them at most major auto stores.

As for those headlight bolts. Yup, taking the front bumper off is the easiest. Four big bolts underneath for the bracing beam and the ones that are the worse to get to where the bumper meets the fender.

Side note: For the fender/bumper bolts, I ended up coverting to a quick disconnect kit from Over Kill Fabrication. Works good.

What's your guy's opinion on those button style quick releases (rod goes into a button and you press button to release)? I have 8 sitting on a shelf because I wanted to make my front bumper purely quick release but I'm not sure about how they'll act at highway speeds or any other issues I haven't thought of. (FYI was thinking about keeping on the bolts that sit on top of the bumper near the latch, so someone couldn't just come and quick release my entire bumper and take it home to do unspeakable things to it)

Last edited:
I usually just break the plastic pieces off, then drill a bigger hole so I can use nuts and bolts. But I dont know if that would be the case for the bumper because I might not be able to reach both sides so I can tighten them. It works well for all the other plastic trim pieces under the car though.

Anything is possible with a jack. Raising your car makes this much simpler (not sure if stock ride height could take the bumper off on the ground) and if you replace something with a nut and bolt, you should be able to reach under/around/do acrobatics with wheel liners and other stuffs.

What's your guy's opinion on those button style quick releases (rod goes into a button and you press button to release)? I have 8 sitting on a shelf because I wanted to make my front bumper purely quick release but I'm not sure about how they'll act at highway speeds or any other issues I haven't thought of. (FYI was thinking about keeping on the bolts that sit on top of the bumper near the latch, so someone couldn't just come and quick release my entire bumper and take it home to do unspeakable things to it)
I had wondered about those as well, but not for the whole bumper.. I guess that's an idea I didn't think of.

Anything is possible with a jack. Raising your car makes this much simpler (not sure if stock ride height could take the bumper off on the ground) and if you replace something with a nut and bolt, you should be able to reach under/around/do acrobatics with wheel liners and other stuffs.
I always jack my car up to work on it. What I was saying is that I don't know if it's possible to reach the top and bottom of the bumper at the same time when mounting it so that I can hold the nut while I tighten the bolt. I will give it a shot when I get a chance for sure. This works out pretty good anyway because I have to remove my bumper to paint it.

I always jack my car up to work on it. What I was saying is that I don't know if it's possible to reach the top and bottom of the bumper at the same time when mounting it so that I can hold the nut while I tighten the bolt. I will give it a shot when I get a chance for sure. This works out pretty good anyway because I have to remove my bumper to paint it.

I guess use threaded holes whenever possible in that case, will make your life easier. I was specifically referencing wheel liner connecting portions with that acrobatic bit. Good luck man.

Yea just take your bumper off, its 7 bolts. It would be so much easier to take the bumper off, remove the headlight, and reinstall everything than it would be to try and finagle your hands/sockets in weird angles.

I guess use threaded holes whenever possible in that case, will make your life easier. I was specifically referencing wheel liner connecting portions with that acrobatic bit. Good luck man.
Sometimes I need luck with this car. My brother makes fun of me too because he drives a Subaru. hehe

What's your guy's opinion on those button style quick releases (FYI was thinking about keeping on the bolts that sit on top of the bumper near the latch, so someone couldn't just come and quick release my entire bumper and take it home to do unspeakable things to it)

I personally like quick release fasteners for other cars where its a pain in the ass to take off the front bumper, but with our cars its so fool proof I wouldn't bother. As far as stability at 70-100mph I haven't noticed any difference vs stock. Plus you earn cool points with the tuner kids if youre into that sort of thing.

Older cars are so much easier to wrench on than new cars. They don't hide anything, want to know how to take out your seats? look around for a while and you will find all the bolts. Meanwhile on newer cars you have to turn the car on, go into settings on the center display screen, hit "unlock" on seat bolts under seat settings, than you can pry the plastic bolt protector off to access the bolt.

OP I hope we have sufficiently given you way more information than you needed... Just take off the bumper to access headlights

I personally like quick release fasteners for other cars where its a pain in the ass to take off the front bumper, but with our cars its so fool proof I wouldn't bother. As far as stability at 70-100mph I haven't noticed any difference vs stock. Plus you earn cool points with the tuner kids if youre into that sort of thing.

Older cars are so much easier to wrench on than new cars. They don't hide anything, want to know how to take out your seats? look around for a while and you will find all the bolts. Meanwhile on newer cars you have to turn the car on, go into settings on the center display screen, hit "unlock" on seat bolts under seat settings, than you can pry the plastic bolt protector off to access the bolt.

OP I hope we have sufficiently given you way more information than you needed... Just take off the bumper to access headlights

Not sure if I like the look of the black buttons on the outside of the bumper. I have to custom make brackets anyways so I might try and find a way to put the quick releases on the inside of the bumper so the quick releases are hidden.

I just replaced my front headlights and did it without removing the bumper. I used a quarter inch ratchet with an extension and flexible extension. I also used a pry bar and gently wedged an opening between the headlight and bumper while shining a flashlight to expose the hidden bolt. A bit of grease in the 10 mm socket kept the bolt from dropping during install. I replaced the hidden bolt first, then the remaining bolts during install in case the bolt dropped. The remaining bolts were accessible with the hood open. The new lights look great. I wanted to post this to let folks know it is possible to replace the headlights this way, although a bit tricky it can be done.

Attachments

• 1995TAlonESI_Profile3aa.jpg
    1995TAlonESI_Profile3aa.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Hidded Headlight Bolt.jpg
    Hidded Headlight Bolt.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 34
  • 1995TalonESI_Profile3a.jpg
    1995TalonESI_Profile3a.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 35
I've pulled my bumper so many times now I can have it done in 10 minutes or less. So I'm not even concerned about it anymore.

In reality: you CAN replace the headlights without removing the bumper, but it saves no time or effort whatsoever.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back