The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A removing intake manifold stay on a 420a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiiii

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2009
OXNARD, California
according to the service manual in a head gasket job, i have to remove the intake manifold stay, so its just this? i dont have to remove the other bolts? and it seems to be a major bi*** getting access to these bolts..

the intake manifold stay isnt that bad if u can go from underneth that is the way to go. Once you do that remove valve cover. Then take your cam caps off but keep them in order. Then you have to remove head bolts. I reccomend getting new head bolts as well. The exhaust manifold i rhink is gonna be the hardest thing to get off only cause the heat sheild bolts and the bolts to the head tend to break so be sure to use lots of pb blaster or equavalent. If u got any more questions just ask.

oh by the way remove the stay from the block not the intake. Itss just easier that way.

according to the service manual in a head gasket job, i have to remove the intake manifold stay, so its just this? i dont have to remove the other bolts? and it seems to be a major bi*** getting access to these bolts..

??? Hmm. You know you need to take off a heck of a lot more than just intake stays to pull the head right :hmm:?

Maybe you're just asking if you have to take the intake off; the answer is no, you can pull the head with the intake on. But yes, if you still have stays, they need to be unbolted.

MB

yes unbolt it from the block muuuuch easier.And like they said replace your head bolts also just incase the head bolts stretched any when you go to retorque them you know it will be right the first time.Take the manifold off when you pull the head off alot esier when its in frount off you instead of in the car.

and if its a 95/96 block, search " head bolt mod" b/c the stock hole in the far back driver side head bolt hole isnt drilled deep enuff. so typically we shave 4 threads off the bolt that goes in that hole.. just a heads up.

well guys i have to disagree with removing the intake i am lazy and i just removed the two bolts holding the bracket the began disassembly of timing components and headbolts it is possible and saves lots of time:hellyeah:

well guys i have to disagree with removing the intake i am lazy and i just removed the two bolts holding the bracket the began disassembly of timing components and headbolts it is possible and saves lots of time:hellyeah:

Those are the intake stay's that everyone is talking about no one said anything about the intake itself but you are right.

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I am in need of some help. I am in the middle of a head gasket job and have everything removed, but the stays are holding me up. I cant see them from the top or from underneath. Do I need to remove the cruise control vac box in order to get to the stays?

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I am in need of some help. I am in the middle of a head gasket job and have everything removed, but the stays are holding me up. I cant see them from the top or from underneath. Do I need to remove the cruise control vac box in order to get to the stays?
I'm having this same issue I'll try and pull the head with the stays unbolted top and bottom With stupid vac box attached and let you know how it goes just have to tdc cylinder one and it should be ready to pull I've disconnected everything else

you have to remove the 3 nuts for the vac box, pull the vac box off the studs, loosen the bottom 2 stay bolts/studs a few turns, loosen the top 2 stay bolts a few turns. Then if you have the rest of the bolts and shit removed for the intake manifold, you should be able to pull it out.
the top of the stays are slotted so you don't have to remove the stay bolts/studs completely jjust loosen them.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back