The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A 420a intake manifold gasket leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungie

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2019
Lithonia, Georgia
I was driving off the highway one day and noticed a backfire & CEL binking. when I start the car it sounds like a RX7 I took my 96 eclipse GS to a shop for a diagnose test. I saw the mechanic do everything he swap the plugs & wires to see if it will change which it didn’t & sprayed the lower intake manifold and it idle up. After everything & test I was told I have a misfire in cylinder #4 & intake manifold gasket leak. He told me it will cost me $3500 to fix it and I don’t have that laying around. I done my research on symptoms on the intake manifold gasket leak and I have all of them, when I drive I have no regular power and I can’t go on highways sometimes it will smoke a little. Right now I’m in the process of installing the intake gasket myself but from the research it’s like a 50/50 chance it wouldn’t fix my problem any suggestions or anyone experienced it

3500 for changing a manifold gasket? That tech needs a kick in the testies...

Either way, replace the gasket. It may be causing the misfire, but I'm wondering if the tech was thinking the engine might be toast.

Start with the simple stuff and go from there.

3500 for changing a manifold gasket? That tech needs a kick in the testies...

Either way, replace the gasket. It may be causing the misfire, but I'm wondering if the tech was thinking the engine might be toast.

Start with the simple stuff and go from there.
He had said he will have to tear down the engine to check my piston rings and intake valves to check the cause of the misfire then install the new intake manifold gaskets. I took it to another guy he told me my gasket is what causing the misfire in cylinder #4 because my leak is coming from that area when he sprayed. My eclipse is my DD I sadly drove it with the leaks for 2 weeks then I stop Bc i was getting worried I’ll break something.

The first guy was trying to rip you off or is an idiot. Replace the gasket and hopefully that will cure your misfire of it's on cylinder #4s runner.
Thanks For the info I’m going to get started later today

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back