The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Removing cv axle passenger side

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marth

Probationary Member
Dec 16, 2020
Tempe, Arizona
Ok so I wanted to ask a quick question. I know that taking the passenger side axel out of the tranny is hard but I was curious if I had to remove these 4 bolts before doing so. Can someone confirm really quick? Thanks
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I don't believe so. Based on what I see in the 2G FSM is looks like you remove it the same as on a 1G with a prybar and pop it out. You're compressing a c-clip on the end to clear the splines so it takes some force.

What is that? No 4g63 dsm I know of has that.
Its an auto box and those 4 bolts you see are the diffs bearing cover plate.

So you have an auto i see that. What you can do is 2 things.

1, use a prybar as mentioned and see if that works. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. This is how i have had mine out of my auto box a few times and it can fight a small amount.

2. Is insert a long thin shaft through the other side throughbthe diff passing through the bars for the gears inside and tap the inside of the cv joint shaft and this can dislodge it for you to pry the rest of the way out.

Just what ever way you do always look at where your pressing against or hitting so you dont crack or damage anything else. Think things through before doing it and causing more issues

Ok so I wanted to ask a quick question. I know that taking the passenger side axel out of the tranny is hard but I was curious if I had to remove these 4 bolts before doing so. Can someone confirm really quick? Thanks
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I have had the same problem. Like Bobby has said, you can reach in from the opposite side and use a skinny yet rigid object to get past the center bar for the spyder gears and smack if from the drivers side. Mine did end up like yours, though so don't feel alone! I have wondered if I have twisted the splines in mine, as mine won't move.....It is heading to the rebuild shop asap.

I could not for the life of me get a prybar in that small space so I understand the OPs situation.
I like the drift punch, Amazon has everything....it is in my "cart" now. Do you use the 1/2" diameter punch Steve?

I got some brass drifts in my toolbox but I've not used one for this purpose. I just did a quick search for something that I thought might work and was inexpensive. I was afraid that the 16mm one might to too large in diameter and anything smaller than 1/2" might cause less than centered blows or be too short.

As I suspect you know, you want to use a brass one so you don't damage any steel parts when you banging on it and not be tempted to grab some steel rod that might mar the splines.

I think I might have used one to pop the CV cup off the pass side of the rear LSD diff when I swapped to the 4 bolt diff.

If this is similar to 5spd I've always used a square shank screwdriver behind the axle and a Cresent wrench to twist it. I don't pry. 5apd pops out very very easy this way.

Thanks for the very detailed input guys. This is why I love this community so much. I managed to take it out. Just wanted to ask before I broke something LOL

Echo what Pauleyman says; I used a big square-shank flat-blade screwdriver and a fairly large crescent wrench on the square shank. From the photo it look like there might be access to stab the screwdriver from directly below. Get the blade in the small gap between the cv body and the trans, and use the crescent to help twist. Should pop right out. I have read that on occasion the c-clip can get wedged funny inside and make it a pull-the-tranny situation. The screwdriver trick should have the cv pop right out. If heavy resistance is felt even as it moves, then maybe something is amiss.

That auto shaft is recessed in that cup a long ways. I couldn't find any place to put a screwdriver in to get behind the cup. I have that transmission out and on a dolly, I will look at it again and see if I missed a spot that would allow access but I don't think so.
Steve, I bought 2 of those drift punches and thought I might have to grind one down a bit to get past the cross shaft in the dif to punch it out. I will let you all know after it comes in this weekend, if I was able to make it work and thanks for the leg work to post up the brass punch! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back