1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

How to remove passenger side axle?

Posted by Jrock11, Aug 6, 2013

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Jrock11

Jrock11 Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2010
    Fresno, California
    So I am doing a transmission swap and I'm having trouble taking off the front passenger side axle. The driver side came off perfectly but this one won't budge. I have watched a few videos where they simply wedge something at the end of the axle and pop it off but that just is not working for me. Any suggestions? Am I missing something like some screws or something? Thanks for any help

2. StarFawkes

StarFawkes Proven Member

Joined Mar 27, 2012
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Small pry bar in between axle and trans, give it a quick push and it will pop off. You might need to give it a good bit of force to get it out, mine likes to be a pain most of the time.

859  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. Tiki2777

Tiki2777 Proven Member

Joined Oct 9, 2011
    Omaha, Nebraska
    use a strong flat head, wedge it between the tranny and axle cup, and then twist the screwdriver (flathead). Prying will help, but the twisting is what did it for me recently.

Street Build 2K  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

989  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. Dsmkauai

Dsmkauai Proven Member

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    It helps to spin the axle alittle while you pry. You want to find the sweet spot for the circlip and once you do it will pop out easy. And you want to make sure you pry so your pushing the axle out, being carful not to pry near the seal area so you don't damage anything.

Drag Race Build 811  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

6K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    13.7 @ 101 · Galant VR-4

4K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.408 @ 112.930 · 2G DSM

2K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    Keep rotating while lightly jiggling the pry bar until you find an odd, almost soft spot. Keeping pressure on that spot, stick another pry bar on opposite side for even pressure. That is the important part, a second pry bar. Ideally it would be thin enough so it isn't wedged before it's in contact with axle shaft. Otherwise it tends to #### the axle instead of pulling out centered. That's why two pry bars are better than one. To pull it out straight.

They can be a b##tch sometimes, thats for sure.

1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.230 @ 127.000 · 2G DSM
  6. Jrock11

Jrock11 Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2010
    Fresno, California
    Ok thanks you guys for the quick replies, knowing that it can be a pain reassures me that I wasn't doing anything wrong like missing a bolt to take off. I guess it just comes down to trial and error I just need to find a screwdriver that's strong enough but still skinny because there isn't much room up there. If I get it I will post what I did to help others in the future.

7. lil corb

lil corb Proven Member

Joined Sep 7, 2005
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    I haven't been able to ever removed the passenger side axle out from the tranny without first removing the axle nut and while in the process of pulling tranny prying the axle out. Or sometimes Ill drop the tranny with the passenger axle and then pop it out after it's been removed.

Drag Race Build 1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.2 @ 103 · 1G DSM
  8. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    Hmm. Yeah it's a bit easier when you get the outboard side free first. ;)

1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.230 @ 127.000 · 2G DSM
  9. lil corb

lil corb Proven Member

Joined Sep 7, 2005
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    I guess I should clarify. Since my axles are new I usually leave the axle nut on and remove tie rod and strut bolts to gain clearance to pull away axle from trans. But it never works for me for passenger side and I end up removing the whole axle.

Drag Race Build 1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.2 @ 103 · 1G DSM
  10. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    I never remove the wheel end. Big square shank screwdriver, crescent wrench and twist

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. 2slow4now

2slow4now Proven Member

Joined Nov 20, 2008
    somerset, Kentucky
    If it still refuses to come out what might be going on is the C-clip is expanded and is somewhat pinched in the expanded position against the splines. Push the axle cup back in the tranny to get the clip away from the splines then give it a quick pop with the pry bar or big screwdriver like others have said.

jk. You have to sneak up on it before it has time to think about being stubborn. You push it in and it's sitting there saying yeah I fooled him...he probably gave up and then Whamo! before its ready to do battle. :tease:

If it doesn't work then rotate the axle a little and try a different spot.

965  11

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. IHeartMyHonda

IHeartMyHonda Proven Member

Joined Jul 12, 2006
    murfreesboro, Tennessee
    What I've done in a right spot is to cut the boot clamp and pull the inner joint apart. It's much easier to pop the inner cup out of the trans when the trans is out. Downside is that you have to put a new clamp on it.

1K  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  13. GDNF2ET

GDNF2ET Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2003
    VA Beach, Virginia
  14. squid267

squid267 Proven Member

Joined Jan 14, 2012
    Worcester, Massachusetts
    +1 on spinnign axle while using a pry bar to find the sweet spot and pop it out.

15. T is for TURBO

T is for TURBO Proven Member

Joined Jan 15, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Put your ass into it

Street Build 1K  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  16. 4yoto24

4yoto24 Proven Member

Joined Jun 11, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Lol^. A small pry bar worked for me. I had to replace both axles, it took some raw power to get that axle out, like stated before find that sweet spot and engage that man power.

362  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM