The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Removing Cat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcman804

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2005
Cumberland, Virginia
I have a 97 GST with the Greddy Evo II exhaust and I was wondering how do I go about removing the cat? Im running 17 psi with a K&N intake, I have the Garret T28 and I was wondering how much of an improvement this would be. Thanks.

How do you cheat the 2nd O2 sensor ? I'm already running without a cat, I haven't noticed any problems.

The stock cat is pretty restrictive. I'm not sure about the gains, because my 2g already had a test pipe on it when I bought it. Test pipes aren't very expensive, and are pretty easy to install.

The downstream o2 sensor will probably die on you the next day. It won't affect how your car runs, but most people will have a check engine light because of it. I was lucky, mine must have died just right, because I never got a C/E light. My roomates 2g threw the code a week after his was put on, but I cleared it with my logger and it never came back. That was months ago. Weird.

There is a device that you can wire into the wire for the downstream o2 sensor that will send signals to the ECU to trick it into thinking that the sensor is okay so you don't get a C/E light. They aren't very expensive either. Just depends on if you get tired at looking at the C/E light.

yeah i thats what i was afraid of, i dont want the CHECK ENGINE light to be on all the time, what if something really goes wrong. where can I get the eliminator so the light wont come on?

Yeah, follow that link to make one. I thought there was someone on DSM Trader that sold them already done, but I haven't seen it in awhile.

toojung2die said:
I'd rather have a functioning CEL so I will be warned if anything is going wrong. You can buy a downstream O2 cheater or make one yourself: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html
While I wholeheartedly agree with you, if you're logging (like you should be) you'll know if something is wrong.

*Note...'you' is used as a general term, not singling you out. :D

Don't worry about the logging. I don't think he was talking to you. You need to either make one of the o2 cheaters that were explained in that link, or search for one already made. I know I've seen them before, but I can't remember where. Without the cat, the exhaust gases will kill your 2nd o2 sensor in no time. It does not affect the way the car will run, but it will probably throw your check engine light. The cheater will go in line with the 2nd o2 sensor and send signals to your ECU to make it think that the o2 sensor is still okay. This way you will not get a check engine light. I know my buddy bought one, but I'll have to ask him where he got it from.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back