The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Red Line oil for manual transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawid4444

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
hey guys
i have a quick question about oil in transmision

im about to buy Red Line oil to my 98 gsx manual transmision

and im not sure which one to buy :/

3 quarts of MT-90 ??
or
2 quarts of MT-90 and mix it with 1 quart of MTL

what do u guys think ??

my transmision has 100.xxx milles on it and i feel very slight grinds when i put in gears

let me know guys

thank you so much
:hellyeah:

API-GL 4 Synchroshift by BG is good stuff. I run it in my trans and my previous FWD had it in there too. Very good stuff.

If you want to stick with redline and not use a Syncromesh style oil get 3 quarts of MT-90 in my opinion.

Redline MTL is thin garbage and is in no way the same product as Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil. MT-90 is very thin, but has good shifting characteristics. The downside to Redline Lightweight Shockproof when used as the only gear oil is the fact that it has a parrafin additive that leaves a waxy residue on high temperature parts in the transmission and likes to gum up the shift keys on hub and slider assemblies, oiling passages, and the center diff guts.

What you can try is Redline 75W140NS Gear Oil -- it has all the nice qualities of lightweight shockproof with good shifting, great protection, and no parrafin additive so there is no gumming up of oiling passages. This gear oil does not contain friction modifiers that would be required for clutch-type differentials (i.e. Cusco diffs, KAAZ diffs, Ralliart clutch diffs). If you DO have a Cusco, KAAZ or Ralliart clutch-type LSD installed, then you would want the 75W140 WITH friction modifiers.

Here is a link to the gear oil that I am talking about. Kris Hall (TSIFreek) notified me about it, and it looks like a product worth trying that will protect nearly as good as Lightweight Shockproof while giving good shifting properties and good on the oiling system.

Red Line 75W140NS GL-5 Gear Oil

Good luck!

hey guys
i have a quick question about oil in transmision

im about to buy Red Line oil to my 98 gsx manual transmision

Stick with MT 90, the bg stuff is to thin( it seems to shift better but its not worth the extra wear) . And the MTL isn't quite enough. I would only suggest 75w140 if your running 4-500hp, lw/hwSP is more for the big boys in the gear box. ALWAYS HWSP in the rear diff and transfer case unless your trying to get some fancy numbers on the dyno then you can drop it down to Light weight. People bi*** that the shifting is to balky with the mt90 but once the trans comes up to temp its like butter. Note that no gear oil will make a bad trans shift well like some people say about BG syncroshift II.

I have been racing / running road race cars for almost a decade. Redline is the only thing I will use in a car unless its an xtrac / hewland with special diff requirements. But usually its Heavy weight shock proof in the big boy toys with friction modifier.

What most people don't factor in is part of why redline makes more power and less wear is because the flim strength of a given oil is better at the normal rating ie the red heavy weight shock proof has film strength like 75w250 but the viscosity is comparable to mobil 75w90.

Its expensive but just compare the 11 or so bucks / qt to how much a gear or rebuild costs.

Redline MTL is thin garbage and is in no way the same product as Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil.

Good luck!

Gotta consider what its used for, Redline makes mostly racing oil. The light stuff is meant for lower power/ lower duration use. You have to compare apples to apples, shock proof is totally different than the regular oil and trying to make a direct comparison is useless. Its all about what your application is. Lighter oil makes more power but requires shorter service intervals. If you need that extra 2hp that the lighter oil provides in qual you run the thin stuff, or in spec series with sealed engines that type of oil is made for that. Not to last 50k with no service. Go to a grand am race that the team uses redline or similar. If you watch them do gearbox services you can tell what gear oil they are using by the color, teal is light weight, red is heavy, and yellow is superlight (used for qual etc).

So mtl isn't a bad oil, its just not right for your application. You can't expect to switch from Heavy weight shock proof to mtl and expect no changes because they are used for different reasons. And you can use the red line oils with lsd's that require friction modifiers, that's why they make friction modifier separately.

Last edited:
Stick with MT 90, the bg stuff is to thin( it seems to shift better but its not worth the extra wear) . And the MTL isn't quite enough. I would only suggest 75w140 if your running 4-500hp, lw/hwSP is more for the big boys in the gear box. ALWAYS HWSP in the rear diff and transfer case unless your trying to get some fancy numbers on the dyno then you can drop it down to Light weight. People bi*** that the shifting is to balky with the mt90 but once the trans comes up to temp its like butter. Note that no gear oil will make a bad trans shift well like some people say about BG syncroshift II.

I have been racing / running road race cars for almost a decade. Redline is the only thing I will use in a car unless its an xtrac / hewland with special diff requirements. But usually its Heavy weight shock proof in the big boy toys with friction modifier.

What most people don't factor in is part of why redline makes more power and less wear is because the flim strength of a given oil is better at the normal rating ie the red heavy weight shock proof has film strength like 75w250 but the viscosity is comparable to mobil 75w90.

Its expensive but just compare the 11 or so bucks / qt to how much a gear or rebuild costs.

Gotta consider what its used for, Redline makes mostly racing oil. The light stuff is meant for lower power/ lower duration use. You have to compare apples to apples, shock proof is totally different than the regular oil and trying to make a direct comparison is useless. Its all about what your application is. Lighter oil makes more power but requires shorter service intervals. If you need that extra 2hp that the lighter oil provides in qual you run the thin stuff, or in spec series with sealed engines that type of oil is made for that. Not to last 50k with no service. Go to a grand am race that the team uses redline or similar. If you watch them do gearbox services you can tell what gear oil they are using by the color, teal is light weight, red is heavy, and yellow is superlight (used for qual etc).

So mtl isn't a bad oil, its just not right for your application. You can't expect to switch from Heavy weight shock proof to mtl and expect no changes because they are used for different reasons. And you can use the red line oils with lsd's that require friction modifiers, that's why they make friction modifier separately.

Sorry, I meant to say that it was not a good choice for our application or handling the shockload or power of a drag racing DSM, especially our AWD application. I agree, I feel that Redline is one of the best lubricant manufacturers out there and I really like their products.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back