The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Recommended tune up for car that was sitting 1 year

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ_IS_BATMAN

Proven Member
May 7, 2020
Ontario, California
Hey Everyone!

Working on my first DSM and the car had been sitting under a tree for a year. Owner said that it had started fine when it was parked but due to a bad transmission cable he just parked it and never tried it again.

I checked the engine oil and it looks clean no issues i can tell. I was wondering what you guys recommend i replace prior to attempting to start up the car?

I was thinking of doing spark plugs, oil filter, oil, coolant flush, spark plug wires, and the ignition coil.. Is there anything else i should look at or for prior to attempting to start it up for the first time?

How many miles on the clock? Do you know when the timing belt was last done? Check the air filter....make sure nothing has moved in. Should probably siphon the fuel and give it some fresh gas.

Hey Everyone!

Working on my first DSM and the car had been sitting under a tree for a year. Owner said that it had started fine when it was parked but due to a bad transmission cable he just parked it and never tried it again.

I checked the engine oil and it looks clean no issues i can tell. I was wondering what you guys recommend i replace prior to attempting to start up the car?

I was thinking of doing spark plugs, oil filter, oil, coolant flush, spark plug wires, and the ignition coil.. Is there anything else i should look at or for prior to attempting to start it up for the first time?

Before attempting to even turn it over, change oil and coolant at the least. Drain the fuel tank and put some nice fresh premium in it with some fuel stabilizer. Check the timing belt for any cracks and see if there is any service history you can look at. Take the plugs out, put a little bit of oil into each cylinder and crank it over to get the fluids flowing. Once you do that a few times, check for any leaks, or lights. Replace plugs, wires, and coil pack (at least plugs) and then crank it over, cross your fingers, and see if she runs.

Hey Everyone!

Oh gosh I left out many more important items LOL. Alright so if the car is a gst or gsx take off the intake pipe to the turbo inlet. Make sure there are no obstructions or crap in the filter and check for turbo shaft play. Make sure no oil is puking from the seals as well and make sure it spins freely. Like I already said, make sure you turn it over without starting it so you can get the fluids running. If you want to you can unhinge the lever on the waste gate so it wont build boost.

Oh gosh I left out many more important items LOL. Alright so if the car is a gst or gsx take off the intake pipe to the turbo inlet. Make sure there are no obstructions or crap in the filter and check for turbo shaft play. Make sure no oil is puking from the seals as well and make sure it spins freely. Like I already said, make sure you turn it over without starting it so you can get the fluids running. If you want to you can unhinge the lever on the waste gate so it wont build boost.

Its a non turbo 420A engine. From my understanding from the previous owner car was running fine by the guy had a GST he ended up keeping and just sat the car to focus on his other project. Its my first DSM so i have no clue where to even begin in getting this fired up. I appreciate any and all replies, i dont mind taking my time and replacing what i have to in order to do this the right way

Its a non turbo 420A engine. From my understanding from the previous owner car was running fine by the guy had a GST he ended up keeping and just sat the car to focus on his other project. Its my first DSM so i have no clue where to even begin in getting this fired up. I appreciate any and all replies, i dont mind taking my time and replacing what i have to in order to do this the right way

oh this is even better 420a are not as tempormental as 4g63t. Do everything I said minus the turbo inspection.

Agreed. I just went through the same thing. My 96 talon esi was sitting for 2 years. I have had one thing after the next go wrong in this project. First did the fluid flushing, timing, plugs and wires, new belts, new battery, alternator, starter relay, and some cosmetics. I had about 1/4 of a tank of gas in it. by the time I got to it I was just over the whole thing and I left the gas in it. I know this is a big No-No but i just put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in it added about 4 gallons of 91 and let it idle for about 30 minutes. Then I put another bottle of fuel system cleaner in it and topped the tank off with 91. No issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back