The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Rebuilt turbo, stiill blowing oil.. did i do something wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostforfun

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2004
Glenwood, Iowa
Bought car with a "new" e316g on it. Got home and checked the shaft play, quite a bit of side to side. Turbo then started blowing oil by the seals as evidenced by a bunch of oil in the intake tract and big white/blue puffs of smoke that smell like burning oil.

Ordered the rebuild kit from ebay, everything fit nice and no shaft play after the rebuild, but it still blows oil by.

I have included a ton of pics, and I am guessing that there are supposed to be seals on the shaft that arent there. I only used a total of 2 orings while rebuilding, the one the is at the thrust plate, and the big one on the compressor cover.

One of the pics shows what was left over from the rebuild kit, but I replaced everything I took out with the same part from the kit... not that complicated.

The engine does have really high oil pressure (100+ on startup and high RPMs, runs between 70-100 driving around, and 20-50ish at idle.)

Further, the engine has a lame cylinder. Compression (with throttle plate closed and engine cold) is 130-115-115-65.

I will be rebuilding the motor, but would like to get the turbo sorted first so there is one less problem to fix when getting it running later.

On a side note, I did clean out intake pipe, IC pipes, and intercooler with gas to clean out all oil before I reinstalled turbo, so the new smoke is not coming from that, and there is new oil in the pipes after install.

LINK TO PHOTOS... I know its a pain, but there are a bunch of them.

Turbo pictures by brian_tackett - Photobucket

Last edited:
Sound more like the piston rings are bad rather than the turbo. did u try putting a bit of oil in the cylinder and then doing the compression test? to see if it helped any?

Im going to do the "cap of oil" thing when I get my tester back. Correct me if im wrong, but if it was blowing by the rings, the oil would just go through the exhaust and blow out the back in the form of smoke. It would not get into the intake in the form of liquid oil.

I thought the same thing to, but once I thought about it hard, it doesn't make sense that it is ONLY the rings.

Unless, of course, the ring is pressurizing the crankcase, creating the high oil pressure that is blowing out the turbo seals... that was my other idea.

my thinking is if the rings are bad it will make more crankcase pressure and might blow thru the pcv and breater on the valve cover and into the intake im pretty new to these cars so i could be totally wrong. thought it was my turbo also tried 2 different turbos 1 was brandnew and still had issues I pulled the head and pistons had a ton of play. just something to think about

I have a catch can on the line running from the v/c to the intake because I thought the same thing... no major oil accumulation in the can... barely any, actually.

Let me get this straight- you have 65psi of compression on one cylinder and you're blaming the TURBO for excessive smoke? WTF

No, I'm blaming the turbo for the tons of oil in the intake. Oil blowing by the rings would go into combustion chamber, get largely burnt and blow out the back in the form of smoke. It shouldn't turn back into liquid and get into the intake, intercooler and all the cold side piping, right? Unless I am missing something.

Ok, so I am tearing out the motor as we speak so I will not get a chance to resolve this turbo issue until I get the motor done.

That being said, could someone who has experience rebuilding turbos look at the pictures at my link and tell me if there is anything missing. I would appreciate that very much.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back