The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Rebuilt engine sitting, still good??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12secondtalon

Probationary Member
Jun 14, 2008
Boulder, Colorado
I had a 4G63 turbo engine rebuilt for my Talon several years ago now (more like 5, but its depressing to know the time length) and I finally have a new Tsi to drop it in.

It never made it past roughly 30 miles on the initial break in period. I'm worried about putting it in and just finishing the break in. My first thought was to take it to a shop and have them refresh it if you will. I want to replace the head on it because it has an exhaust stud holder that has broken off, its on the very corner so I don't know if it could be redone. I have a spare head I was going to take to a machine shop to swap all the new parts. Should I just have them pull the bottom end apart and redo it?

Obviously it will take more time and money; so would this be my best option?

Thanks in advance

If it were me I would just drop it in ive had a engine sitting around for a long time and hadn't had any problems with breaking it in, it was a fresh build or even one that wasn't freshly built.

Only thing I can think of unless your cylinders are massively rusted is to take the tbelt off and spin the pump with a drill. Then during tbelt re-installation, you'll have to hand crank it anyway, so that should make sure all the components turn properly. Heck you could even hand crank and prime at the same time to get lube moving around all surfaces.

Maybe drop the pan and have a look in the cylinder walls for lots of rust, as well as on the camshaft journals. If you're replacing the head, then you'll pretty much see every bit of the engine inside out anyway so you'll be able to tell what needs to be cleaned up, if anything at all. That is, everything but the main and rod bearings. Shouldn't be much issue there, especially if it's been run at least once. I think you could safely assume they're still "clean" (provided they were that way when it was last shut off)

an exhaust stud holder that has broken off

What is an exhaust stud holder? Just the stud? Don't pull the head just to replace an exhaust stud, that's crazy, especially with the engine on a stand. Just fix it.

Otherwise, I would try to get a bore scope and just check out as much of it as possible. Don't spend money you don't have to. Prime it and run it if it checks out.

If you are worrided about what the cylinders look like. Pull the oil pan off and look around good. The cylinders should not be rusted unless it was setting outside with the vc off. The only problem maybe if the rings are ceased in cylinders, but thats highly unlikely.

I would do a combination of the above.

Pull the pan and look at everything. If everything looks good, put the pan back on, drop some new oil in, take the Tbelt off and spin the oil pump with a drill. Then put the belt back on, take the plugs out, and turn it over by hand to make sure everything is spins good. If everything seems good, drop her in and continue the break in.

If you go to turn it over by hand and it seems like it doesnt want to turn, drop a few drops of ATF in each cyl through the plug hole and let it sit over night. Then try again.

Was the engine sitting inside or outside all that time? If it was inside, I'd imagine you could just drop in in. My car was sitting outside for 3 years after it died, and when I finally got around to pulling the head off the cylinders were fine.

If the engine was in garage, I would throw it in like that, All what I would off do is.

Add some oil inside the cylinders to smooth out IF there is some kind of rust, Wait some time for the oil to get lubricated all around the cylinders, After that, I would prime the engine through the oil sensor port at the oil filter housing, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/286235-priming-oil-pump.html, Then turn the engine by hand several times to make sure all is good, I wouldn't turn the motor by hand before priming the engine though.

Im pretty sure there shouldnt be a problem. What you can do since engine is been sitting around, removed your oil pan lubricate bearings and piston walls. Once its done go ahead put the oil pan back , youre going to need a new gasket. Now , remove your valve cover and lubricate cams, rocker arms etc. Finally turn the engine by hand . Since its outside the car, i highly recommend inspecting the timing components, such as the tensioner, belts, pulley (because of how long its been sitting around even though there shouldnt be a problem) . Good luck budd

Check any open hole for bug nests. I have had some wasps in the past clog up things that were sitting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back